Archer users, what scope?

clumber

Hi all. I am thinking of getting myself a Archer NV and I'd like your input as to what scope you use it with. At the moment i have a Meopta Meostar R1r sat on my 223 which i think is pretty mustard, IMHO, but Its not parralax adjustable. I am trying different filters on my lamp for the shy foxes but the fox I'm really after has bolted to everything colour i have used so far, without a call from me. I'v thought about starting off using the Archer as a spotting scope and trying to get fox close in, to bait and shotgun combo? I'd really like it on the rifle but don't want a lesser day scope just so i can use the Archer. Am i right, wrong or a complete plonker? Your thoughts please but not too harsh, cheers.

its worth getting and trying it on the scope and see how you go, some are fine with no paralax adjustment, the rear diopter seems to make the most difference as far as getting them to focus well. I have mine on a z6i at the moment and that was fun and games getting it to fit but works well.

the z6i involved a lot of cutting shall we say, the main issue is the collar has to slip over the eyepiece and obviously on the Z6 the illumination mechanism is in the way. I had to modify it to go round this, but once done it works. They have changed the collar design since so if they told you it fits you may find you don't have the same issue

Hi all. I am thinking of getting myself a Archer NV and I'd like your input as to what scope you use it with. At the moment i have a Meopta Meostar R1r sat on my 223 which i think is pretty mustard, IMHO, but Its not parralax adjustable. I am trying different filters on my lamp for the shy foxes but the fox I'm really after has bolted to everything colour i have used so far, without a call from me. I'v thought about starting off using the Archer as a spotting scope and trying to get fox close in, to bait and shotgun combo? I'd really like it on the rifle but don't want a lesser day scope just so i can use the Archer. Am i right, wrong or a complete plonker? Your thoughts please but not too harsh, cheers.

If you want something with ease of use, day and night, attach to virtually any scope, mount and remove in seconds and out to 200 yards then consider this.... NS200 http://nitesite.co.uk/... it's also much cheaper and did I mention, I sell them? :D:good:

out of interest Dekers what do you recommend people do with your system, wave the gun about to spot with? thats before you start on issues of trying to see the screen with your head in a sensible shooting position ;)

:hmm: :hmm: The same as anyone would do with a Night Vision scope! :good: The Archer system may give you the opportunity to take off and search with the unit, but NiteSite are also looking at similar options.

As for seeing the screen in a sensible position, well, no debate it is a bit different, but you get used to it and its easy with the rimfires, I have also used it on my .243! :good:

May I also remind everyone the NiteSite systems can be had for £399-£599, with easy transfer to virtually any scope, day and night usage, the magnification of your scope, and 200+ yards visibility, what price does your Archer start at ?

There are many systems out there with a wide variety of prices and uses, I am not for one second suggesting the NiteSite is suitable for everyone on every gun for every application, but it is very popular and worth considering for many, and for the price it offers excellent facilities! :good:

....and if anyone is interested in buying one give me a shout! :D:good:

and there is a dilema, I've a 5-30x50 z6i as I was looking for an illuminated zeiss at the time but couldn't get the ret I wanted very quickly and the Z6i came up at a very good price. I've a mate with the zeiss so have used them side by side and really there is nothing in it light wise. Both are fantastic foxing scopes with the zeiss were you to go that way get the illuminated 60 ret and you won't be disapointed.

Archer wise neither are simple the Z6i has the illumination controls in the wrong place and the zeiss has a conical eye piece so you would need something machined to fit at a guess to stop it slipping off

I crane my neck usually as well as having the scope set well forward, oddly if you shoot off a vehicle roof its no problem or from a wing mirror. Prone I could do with a stock extender really but with a light recoiling caliber like the .243 I haven't had recoil issues so far or a black eye. If you ever want to try one let me know

Edited by al4x

out of interest Dekers what do you recommend people do with your system, wave the gun about to spot with? thats before you start on issues of trying to see the screen with your head in a sensible shooting position ;)

I use an Olight M20 Crimson to spot with my NS200, it throws a dull red beam out to about 100 yards but can pick up eye shine 400 plus!

Not only is it less obtrusive, very small and lightweight, rabbit, dear, badger, owls and foxes are not bothered by it, and with a little practice you can even tell the difference between species (fox has by far the brightest eye shine, unluckily for them!)

Recently on a friends farm I spotted 2 fox in the middle of a large herd of sheep at around 350 yards, that's 2 sets of eyes out of over 100, and after moving into a better position, took both at 180 and 170.

My tally for the 2 months of using this set up is 14 fox and 48 rats, using 4 different rifles, .223, .22lr x2 and an air rifle, and it has added a completely new dimension to my shooting!

I use my Archer with a S&B 3-12x50 Klassik scope on my .22-250 rifle and a S&B 8x56 on my .17HMR rifle.Both scopes are non parallax adjustable scopes.

Do you have any dramas at all with quality of vision through them, Just wondering as Starlight always say to get parallax adjustable scopes.

Do you have any dramas at all with quality of vision through them, Just wondering as Starlight always say to get parallax adjustable scopes.

No mate.Everything works well with my particular scopes.Ok they may be not as good as with using parallax adjustable scopes but they are good enough for my eyes.

My mate "Eccles" on here also uses his Archer on a non parallax adjustable Leupold scope to great effect.