What rifle would this be from?

Seamus

I have just found this old rifle bolt in my mothers old house, it would have no doubt belonged to my grandfather/great grandfather (I only ever recall my late father using shotguns). From a curiosity perspective does anyone have any idea/thoughts what it may have come from? My initial thoughts might be an Enfield maybe, but that would just be guessing. I'm assuming there are no legal implications with me having this, I've had a dig and can't see anything; I'm sure someone will soon put me right if there are!

It has the numbers 20113 on the bolt lever itself. The number 5556 on the bottom of the bolt and the alpha numeric 9096A on the bolt catch.

If photos from different angles might help then let me know.

post-25830-0-61578900-1353583593_thumb.jpg

If it is a firearm, or a part for a firearm, it is automatically Section 1.

From the Home Office police guidance :

2.3 “Firearm” means a lethal barrelled

weapon of any description from which

any shot, bullet or other missile can be

discharged, and includes any prohibited

weapon, whether it is such a lethal weapon

or not, any component part (see paragraphs

13.69 and 13.70) of such a lethal or

prohibited weapon

13.70 The term “component part” may be

held to include (i) the barrel, chamber,

cylinder, (ii) frame, body or receiver, (iii)

breech, block, bolt or other mechanism for

containing the charge at the rear of the

chamber (iv), any other part of the firearm

upon which the pressure caused by firing the

weapon impinges directly. Magazines, sights

and furniture are not considered component

parts.

Drop it in to an RFD or the police, ASAP

Edited by robbiep

I just spoke to my Firearms Officer (whom I know quite well), he is looking into whether or not this can be added to my certificate (or if I have to hand it in), and has said I can hang onto it for now. Call me sentimental but I don't have a lot of things from that era and it would be nice to keep it if possible.

I do love the attitude of some people here. No matter how you look at it, it is a component part of a firearm.

You aren't going to get into trouble for calling the police about it : if you have a read of the police firearms guidance, it has an entire section devoted to the 'what ifs' regarding people finding guns, parts, ammo, and specifically listed in that lot is old/deceased relatives houses. (Chapter 25)

You could take it into a local police station. The same applies to taking it into an RFD.

Yes, you can just chuck it in a wheely bin. But what is the responsible course of action ?

And, as SGC/FAC holders, airgun shooters, etc, aren't we supposed to be responsible ?

BTW, it looks, to my marginally educated eye, like a large part of the bolt for Lee Enfield .303.

You may be able to have it made unuseable, and thus non-section 1. On the other hand, as it came from a family member, you might also be able to have it placed on ticket, with a 'not to be assembled into a complete firearm' condition.

Good luck

From the Home Office police guidance :

2.3 “Firearm” means a lethal barrelled

weapon of any description from which

any shot, bullet or other missile can be

discharged, and includes any prohibited

weapon, whether it is such a lethal weapon

or not, any component part (see paragraphs

13.69 and 13.70) of such a lethal or

prohibited weapon

13.70 The term “component part” may be

held to include (i) the barrel, chamber,

cylinder, (ii) frame, body or receiver, (iii)

breech, block, bolt or other mechanism for

containing the charge at the rear of the

chamber (iv), any other part of the firearm

upon which the pressure caused by firing the

weapon impinges directly. Magazines, sights

and furniture are not considered component

parts.

Drop it in to an RFD or the police, ASAP

It isn't automatically sec.1. If it's part of a shotgun then it's section 2. It appears very, very old so probably falls under sec.58(2) as an exempt antique.

As to what it's from? It might be from an old garden gun of some description or an old .22rf rifle.

J.

It isn't automatically sec.1. If it's part of a shotgun then it's section 2. It appears very, very old so probably falls under sec.58(2) as an exempt antique.

As to what it's from? It might be from an old garden gun of some description or an old .22rf rifle.

J.

The OP stated that 'I have just found this old rifle bolt in my mothers old house' ...I'm assuming the OP does know what they are talking about, so that is why I have assumed it is Sec 1, and not a Sec 2.

From the looks of it, it appears very similar to the bolt from a .303Lee Enfield, or as someone else has suggested, a Springfield rifle. As you can still get ammunition for those, and still purchase the guns too, in a complete state, I'd imagine you'd be very lucky to get it down as an exempt antique

The OP stated that 'I have just found this old rifle bolt in my mothers old house' ...I'm assuming the OP does know what they are talking about, so that is why I have assumed it is Sec 1, and not a Sec 2.

That isn't what you said;

Not true. A part of a firearm is what it is; if it's part of a section 2 shotgun then it's section 2. If it's part of a section 1 then it's section one. If it's capable of being used in either then its presumed to be the lowest category until it can be proved where it came from or you fit it to something in a higher category.

From the looks of it, it appears very similar to the bolt from a .303Lee Enfield, or as someone else has suggested, a Springfield rifle. As you can still get ammunition for those, and still purchase the guns too, in a complete state, I'd imagine you'd be very lucky to get it down as an exempt antique

Looks nothing like a Springfied bolt (which is essentially a Mauser 98);

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=%2703+springfield+bolt&view=detail&id=8B3697CEF1C1A56D649D8B8124152F81C62212C0

Or an Enfield;

http://www.rifleman.org.uk/Images/22no5789bolts1.jpg

J.

firstly you will not get in any trouble if you explain you found it in a house clearence.

deal with the firearms office not the normal police.

if its antique or obsolete you can keep it.

if not its section 1.

the other option is cut it up and put it in a scrap bin.