Computer knowledge needed - hard drive swapping

955i

Hi all, I know there are some on here well versed in things computery so hoped I could get some advice.

I would like to put a bigger hard drive in my laptop, and my question is thus:

If I take the old one out and put it in an external case and then just copy everything on it to the new drive, will everything stay intact and the programs still work?

Thanks in advance :D

You must have a hell of a lot of data to require a larger hard disk in a modern laptop. For ease, do you really need immediate access to it all? Would an external hard disk not be capable of being used to store some/all of it? I'd be tempted to use the internal HD solely to store programs and use an external for all data, transferring what I needed to the internal if/when necessary. I'm no expert but do know the agony of transferring/setting up software from CD's etc. External disks are getting bigger & cheaper by the day. Just a thought.

You must have a hell of a lot of data to require a larger hard disk in a modern laptop. For ease, do you really need immediate access to it all? Would an external hard disk not be capable of being used to store some/all of it? I'd be tempted to use the internal HD solely to store programs and use an external for all data, transferring what I needed to the internal if/when necessary. I'm no expert but do know the agony of transferring/setting up software from CD's etc. External disks are getting bigger & cheaper by the day. Just a thought.

This is the best idea, store all your stuff on a external hard drive. With the 2.5" ext drives they will require 2 usb skts to power up the drive and data transfer, with a 3.5" ext drive it will need 1 usb skt for the data and will need power from the mains 230V, to power it up..

Also gives more secrity as you only need to plug it in when you want to put files on to it. For laptops the ext 2.5" drives make more sense as they are compact, easy to carry, down size is that they are powered up by the laptop, not a problem if running off mains power, if using laptop on battery will reduce the time you can use the laptop.

I already have two 120G externals......they are full too :blush:

Its the hazard of having tons of music and photos

Um, do you have a backup strategy? One day, *every* drive will fail. (Do you mirror the drives, for example?)

Regards,

Mark.

I burn everything to DVD as well just in case.

I have all the programs for the computer (except for one) so can fix it if broken, just wondered if it was possible if I upgraded my laptop drive.

I burn everything to DVD as well just in case.

Jolly good - I was just checkin' because people sometimes don't even *consider* the possibility of harddrive failure.

Funnily enough, over a decade ago, I wrote my *own* disk imaging software. However, I don't really "do" 'puters anymore although I *really* like the cheap 'Droid tablet that I'm using to write this.

Hope you manage to get sorted.

Regards,

Mark.