What do you reckon? V8

Scully

Have the chance of a V8 petrol(is this the old Rover P38?) Landrover.It is a tax exempt L reg' (72/73?) and a total rebuild.It has a 90 body on it but don't think 90's were around then so am assuming that's part of the rebuild.Didn't have much chance to look it over really as was in a rush and busy back-flushing cab heater matrix on Disco' at the time!It sits up very well,has Coopers AT's on chrome pepperpot rims and he says the chassis is solid. I have known him for many yeras and he's built up a good business over the years re-building / restoring Landrovers.It would be used on a daily basis as part of my business and am possibly going to give it a thorough look-see this weekend after shoot(if it ever stops raining)and wondered,amongst other things, what sort of mileage could I expect from this....15/20mpg?What do you reckon?Anyone else out there got one?Have to admit the relative comfort of my Discovery has softened me a bit.All in-put gratefully received.

Would love a V8 90/Defender or Range Rover but know that the fuel bills would be crippling that's why I've stuck with my 300 Tdi disco. Think 15-20 mpg is more than a little optimistic unless your looking at long easy trips ie. motorway, a friend of mine had a 3.9 Range Rover and got 12-14 mpg from it but it was only used for relatively short journeys, sounded awesome though. Maybe Welsh lamb on here could be of some assistance, saw her 90 the other week down at Treetops, ohh what a lovely noise made my knees weak lol.

Edited by Trevorevans

Thanks very much for the input everyone;all my mates have been doing their best to talk me out of it!Shame,real head turner and sounds the biz...ah well,will stick to my Disco for now(heaters working like a good un now;toasty warm!Can't be cold when out lamping!)and will keep looking.Many thanks again. :good:

I've never been the one paying the fuel bill in a V8, but in a series (which weigh far less than a 90) they aren't meant to be that bad. As I understand it, 15-18 is quite achievable (more on a long run). Comparing them to a heavy RR isn't very helpful.

If it's just for a bit of play and you don't mind the many hours of knuckle bashing to get the thing roadworthy, no brakes, suspension, soundproofing or reliability, you might not be driving it enough to worry about the fuel consumption - TBH, they rarely work for long enough to actually consume any! And that's if you can stand driving the thing.

With the V8 they are great fun when they're actually working.

bottom line all petrol v8s are going to be thirsty wotever the size of vehicle they go in the old 3.5 stage 1 lrs were just as thirsty as a 4.6lt rr, i owned a 101 for a few months now that was thirsty but alway fancied one since my army days i wonder how much £££ the mod used to pay out on fuel before deiselisation most were v8 or jag v12 we even had a rover v8 sherpa minibus

dont get me wrong i love lrs but id never avice anyone to buy one lol

Call me a heathen, but give me the glorious dependable sound of my 300TDI over a V8 any day of the week!

The so-called-noise of a V8 doesn't do anything for me, irrespective of fuel consumption.

Come and have a listen to a v8 with a "power flow" bean can exhaust and you will change your mind straight away.

It's the ONLY reason iv still got the car! Nothing beats the sound of a v8 at full chat around the lanes :-)

you say its a series with a 90 body, 'a' has it got leaf springs to make it a series. 'b' if yes does it have a flat front like a 90 , if so it could be a stage one v8 but thought they were later, 'c' does it have plastic wheel arches and a taller windscreen like a 90. as for v8's great noise and power but dont go wading in deep water,

Come and have a listen to a v8 with a "power flow" bean can exhaust and you will change your mind straight away.

It's the ONLY reason iv still got the car! Nothing beats the sound of a v8 at full chat around the lanes :-)

Sadly not, i doubt it. I've heard plenty of V8's up close, from boggo rover V8 to US Hemi's, Cosworths and flat plane TVR's... don't do anything for me i'm afraid. For a Land Rover, pretty useless. Spill your tea near them and they will cough and die with the "water" ingress :)

But i do know i'm in a very odd minority :)

As far as I know land rover did not put a V8 in an 88 (I don't know of a V8 stage 1 88"). The first V8 in a 90 was from the mid 80's.

But offcourse they did not put a 200tdi in a 90 either -and there are lots of these driving around-.

Don't know what happens if you drive a 90 with a series chassis or chassis number in the UK, but I cannot imagine this is legal.

I love the sound of a V8 exhaust, but don't want to fill it up every few hundred miles.

They fitted the 200 tdi engine in the defender90 not the 90. I know à lot of people see the 90 as à defender90, but these are not the same.

The 200tdi is a superb engine -love mine in my 200tdi def90. And there are a lot of 90's which are upgraded by fitting a 200tdi disco engine around.

Edited by Fib new