cabinet key safe

gemini52

I have one as well but one of the chaps over on the BBS, who is a locksmith, doesn't rate the thiefproofness of these 'cheap' safes. IIRC, you're talking over £150 for a 'rated' one.

But, as long as it's out of the way and not easily spotted, guess it's a good idea. My FEO was certainly happy with it and it will deter the casual thief if he spots it.

Nothing of course will stop a determined thief!

I have one as well but one of the chaps over on the BBS, who is a locksmith, doesn't rate the thiefproofness of these 'cheap' safes. IIRC, you're talking over £150 for a 'rated' one.

But, as long as it's out of the way and not easily spotted, guess it's a good idea. My FEO was certainly happy with it and it will deter the casual thief if he spots it.

Let's just think on a bit here. What are you trying to do? You are trying to store your keys securely. Plenty of people have their keys in the office desk drawer, or the bedside cabinet or similar.

If, like me you figured that was maybe a little too easy, then you may have bought one of these £50 safes, and bolted it down somewhere inaccessible and hidden, then that's an improvement. With regard to mine you'd get neither a angle grinder or leverage for a pry bar on it, but that's not the point, I'm not storing the Crown jewels in it am I? The only other person who knows where it's located is the missus..and she neither knows the number or how to break into it. If someone's in your house wih the necessary to break into your keysafe, why would they bother? Surely they'd just break into the gun safe?

Edited by -Mongrel-

Let's just think on a bit here. What are you trying to do? You are trying to store your keys securely. Plenty of people have their keys in the office desk drawer, or the bedside cabinet or similar.

If, like me you figured that was maybe a little too easy, then you may have bought one of these £50 safes, and bolted it down somewhere inaccessible and hidden, then that's an improvement. With regard to mine you'd get neither a angle grinder or leverage for a pry bar on it, but that's not the point, I'm not storing the Crown jewels in it am I? The only other person who knows where it's located is the missus..and she neither knows the number or how to break into it. If someone's in your house wih the necessary to break into your keysafe, why would they bother? Surely they'd just break into the gun safe?

I agree with you its only to deter the unthinkable if some one is determined to get your guns then it can happen.

when i applied for my certificate i rang the firearms dept and asked what they reccomended and the deo i spoke to (same guy that called out to see me) reccomended i get a key safe so i bought one... made me happier than carrying the keys anyway as i oten misplace them and missing a chance of going out because i cant find my keys would REALLY p me off