.144 caliber ?

Hi all,

Whilst trawling about on the interweb I stumbled across an American site selling .144 caliber components.

I haven't even heard a mention of this very small caliber.

I know a few on here get to try out new guns etc and woundered if any light could be shed on the subject ?

Thanks

Karl.

Hi all,

Whilst trawling about on the interweb I stumbled across an American site selling .144 caliber components.

I haven't even heard a mention of this very small caliber.

I know a few on here get to try out new guns etc and woundered if any light could be shed on the subject ?

Thanks

Karl.

Have a look for the .14-222, I'm sure someone on here has something to do with one, can't recall the details though.

Edited by kyska

I have a .14 Walker Hornet. The cartridge is a .22 Hornet necked down and improved.

The rifle is a Ruger 77/Hornet. The barrel is a 28" stainless and came from a company called DKT in the states but they are now out of business. The barrel was fitted, profiled and chambered by Norman Clark. My barrel is .142" but it shoots .144" bullets without any prolems.

The rifle has been an ongoing project for some time due mostly to difficulty in getting components and using up a lot of the bullets I had fire-forming the brass, not to mention losing a lot of brass in the process. It was quite a steep learning curve. As soon as I get the time I'm going to order up another batch of bullets and get some proper load development done.

I also have a reamer to cut a .14/222 chamber along with 300 formed .14/222 cases which will be next on my list!

J.

there was an article in shooting times about this a while back

good fun but fairly pointless

They do have their uses. In fact I think that they are especially suited to the UK where people sometimes have very limited pieces of land which need to be shot over. The bullets are very light which means they lose velocity very quickly so they have very short maximum ranges. They have a very low risk of ricochet because the bullet breaks up very easily. They are used a bit in the States by guys who hunt things like Coyote's for the pelt as the bullet never exits so causes virtually no pelt damage. They are very humane on small game due to being hugely destructive.

On the negative side; no one makes ammunition and is never likely to. Everythng you need - like cleaning rods, brushed and powder funnels needs to be custom made as everything currently available is too big - although a few companies make things on a very limited basis. Loading ammo is not straight forward because you need to form brass from existing types. Getting it wrong and blowing up your gun (and your self) is not that difficult!

Lots and lots of fun though.

J.

But not as much fun!

J.

I was quite entreuged now I find my self thinking about it lol I am variating in the new year for a 17 hornet not sure wich one yet but if I do a second slot at the same time and have one action and two barrels ............o dear I can see this getting expensive ;)

I was quite entreuged now I find my self thinking about it lol I am variating in the new year for a 17 hornet not sure wich one yet but if I do a second slot at the same time and have one action and two barrels ............o dear I can see this getting expensive ;)

they call it 14 fever :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm looking at placing an order for barrels with a manufacturer in the US at some point. We need several barrels to makeit worthwhile as the export paperwork is not cheap. Have another guy interested too so if you're still interested fire me a PM.

J.

I'm looking at placing an order for barrels with a manufacturer in the US at some point. We need several barrels to makeit worthwhile as the export paperwork is not cheap. Have another guy interested too so if you're still interested fire me a PM.

J.

Ah, I knew someone on here dabbled with one!

Have you got a pic of a loaded cartridge, maybe next to another common cartridge for size difference....really interesting calibre.

J.

Thank you Jonathan.

I will look into that in the new year as I will be needing to square the paperwork away with my feo first. He seems a lot more playable with the wildcat rounds as he says it shows a genuine intrest in shooting rather than just wanting the most popular gun.

I carnt see it being a problem getting both the 17 and tha 14 hornet added.

But which 17 to go for ?

Thanks Karl.

Ah, I knew someone on here dabbled with one!

Have you got a pic of a loaded cartridge, maybe next to another common cartridge for size difference....really interesting calibre.

Here ya go:

14bulletjpg-1.jpg

10grn .14 cal bullet next to .30 cal 150grn Sierra SP

Glock23005.jpg

Lousy pic but it's a .14 WH, 7.62x51mm, .257 Weatherby and .460 Weatherby.

Glock23009.jpg

Round in magazine.

Glock23002.jpg<a href=

Rifle.

Glock23003.jpg

Muzzle crown.

J.

Jonathan, that rifle is fantastic!

You must, must get some video footage up with that, superb.

Oh, and pick up the can in the background you scruff.

Haha, the can was a left over from the previous nights shenanegins with a full-auto airsoft Glock, as can be witnessed by the little plastic bb's littering the carpet.

I will certainly try to get a video done at some point. Too much to do and too little time to do it at present though! I really need to source a supply of bullets before I do too much more shooting with it so that I can get some proper loads worked up without having to change between different weights and types.

J.

Just looking, 'most' common (if thats appropriate) they run around the 400-500ft/lb mark.

I had a look about aswell, data is a bit sketchy. I read a post by an American and he compared the walker hornet 14 to his killer bee 14 as the case capacity was simmilar and he was getting just over 4000 fps from a 15 grain projectile.