What .223 Bullet for a 1 in 9" twist barrel?

badsworth

I am seriously thinking of buying a Steyr Scout in .223 with a 1 in 9" twist barrel.

What weight of bullet works best with this twist rate?

I have heard that some .223 rounds actually have a .224" bullet. Is this true and can any .223 rifle fire them safely?

Anyone got any experience of the Steyr?:D?

Thanks folks

Badsworth

yes almost all '.22' centerfires use .224 bullets. The only ones that used not to were the very early .22 hornets and veiling (a hornet variant), these used .223.

.223 and .222 are just names and nothing more, for gods sake dont use 223 sized bullets :D

with a 1:9 twist i would say you would be unlikely to get amazing results with very light bullets (40) although it might still be worth trying as theres only one way to find out. However 50 or 55 grain would be the best two choices if your after a sporting bullet. There are few suitable expanding bullets over this weight for sporting use.

I've just sold one, they are light and accurate. T8 moderator is worth fitting and does not overly affect the balance. Ignore the onboard bipod and buy a harris if you intend to ambush foxes. Watch out for the hair trigger it is dangerously light, I only ever fired mine on the range, I preferred the normal trigger on the field. The bolt setup and safety is superb, as nice as I've seen on any gun.

If the English law on Roe calibres came into line with Scotland I would have kept mine, but I'm now getting an SSG P2 69 in .243, this will give me fox and deer options :drinks: .

Pat

Personaly I would like to see Scotland come in line with English law!

why please.

I think that the majority of .22 Centerfire in the right hands are capable of taking Roe, but in the wrong hands it could lead to terrible wounds. I am not saying you need a magnum calibre for roe but if you have a bigger cal you also have increased energy and hygrostatic shock which can make up for slight errors in bullet placement.

This does not mean if you shoot a roe in the **** with a cannon you will get an instant kill because of the size of the round although i have no doubt it would die! The shock wave would be massive :good:

Also there are to many vermin shooters with .22 who would certainly not think twice about shooting a roe who do not have the knowledge or experince to shoot roe and who do not have roe or deer on there ticket.

I would personly only recomend a minimum of 100 grain bullet for all deer! I know there are people on this forum who disagree.

Also there are to many vermin shooters with .22 who would certainly not think twice about shooting a roe who do not have the knowledge or experince to shoot roe and who do not have roe or deer on there ticket.

so fox and vermin shooters have no morals and will break the law as soon as a deer shows itself.

if the dmq/dsc, certificate makes you think like this iam glad i dont want one.

whats the weather like up on them high horses.

so fox and vermin shooters have no morals and will break the law as soon as a deer shows itself.

if the dmq/dsc, certificate makes you think like this iam glad i dont want one.

whats the weather like up on them high horses.

Not quite what I said! Most vermin shooters who have an intrest in deer managment would do something about it and not wait per chance for a deer to appear in front of them one day! Your quite right the dmq/dsc does not make you a manager only gives you an insight into deer and the law! Trophy hunting and deer managment are too totaly differnt things either way you still need a legal calibre!

exactly what you said, and you will have to pardon me, but it does read as though you mean the majority of vermin/ fox shooters.

either way you still need a legal calibre!

they use legal cal in Scotland with no problems why change it. unless you want it to be for a select few.

there is a thread on the BBS about the same thing right now. which seems to boil down to stalkers think the vermin/fox shooters are incapable of shooting one of there precious beasts. i used to shoot with a keeper, thats passed away now, he never sat any deer management course, new the law inside out and deer husbandrie better than anyone. does this mean he was unworthy.

exactly what you said, and you will have to pardon me, but it does read as though you mean the majority of vermin/ fox shooters.

either way you still need a legal calibre!

they use legal cal in Scotland with no problems why change it. unless you want it to be for a select few.

there is a thread on the BBS about the same thing right now. which seems to boil down to stalkers think the vermin/fox shooters are incapable of shooting one of there precious beasts. i used to shoot with a keeper, thats passed away now, he never sat any deer management course, new the law inside out and deer husbandrie better than anyone. does this mean he was unworthy.

Did your keeper friend use a .22 NO! Thats my point exactly. You wouldnt be one of the select few if you had a deer legal calibre would you? Deer stalking has never been so popular or accessabile than it is now! As I said before the DMQ etc does not mean your an expert but it does give you an insight and it does test if you can hit a paper target in the correct place. If you cant hit the paper correctly what hope have you of hitting a live beast? Our aim is to cull humainly and effectivley.

My original thread was about the use of.22 for deer and not weather or not i agree with DMQ or not wich incidently i dont because I see mo reason why one company should have the monopoly on the market.

Did your keeper friend use a .22 NO!

god rest him he was near on 80 when he passed away,

but he used to use the 22 hornet when it was legal.

and he got his fair share of them.

As I said before the DMQ etc does not mean your an expert but it does give you an insight and it does test if you can hit a paper target in the correct place. If you cant hit the paper correctly what hope have you of hitting a live beast? Our aim is to cull humainly and effectivley.

as far as i know the target test on the dmq is not sniper class, and you can shoot it till you pass, get your dmq cert then off you trott.

i know fox/ vermin shooters who put thousands of hour into paper bashing just to keep their eye in.and there aim is to kill/cull humainly

and effectivley.

all this is bye the bye,we have more than enough outsiders telling us what/when/where we can shoot, without us telling our own what they should be shooting with.

Markbivvy,

I agree with you forums like this are a mine of information and we would all do well to learn from it. Be aware there are people who could read these forums with less than good intentions!

BDS Test

The test is as follows:

Grouping- Three (3) shots within a prescribed 4-inch circle at 100 meters from the prone position or simulated high seat.

Deer Target- All shots are to be within the 5 scoring ring on Buck Target from ranges and positions shown.

(1) 100 meters (prone or from high seat) 2

(2) 70 meters (sitting or kneeling) 2

(3) 40 meters (standing) 2

6 shots total

Aids: The only aids that may be used are items that the manager will always have available in the field, e.g. Rucksack, Rifle sling, Stalking Stick or Twin Sticks, Bipod, Shooting Bar on high seat etc.

Time limits and Additional Attempts: No formal time limits are laid down but obviously an unrealistic amount of time (e.g. more than 30 seconds) should not be taken for each shot. No more than three (3) attempts at the test may be made on any one- (1) day. Borderline cases, even if they eventually pass, may be required to do more training and take additional tests.

This is not a hard test but you would be surprised how many people fail this simple test!

there is a thread on the BBS about the same thing right now. which seems to boil down to stalkers think the vermin/fox shooters are incapable of shooting one of there precious beasts.

Yes Mark ...........I think it'll go down as the Church of the Deer thread .............Or basically let's type cast and tar certain groups of shooters which is basically your average deer stalker reading that ........

Most vermin shooters introduction to rifles is with a air rifle ,followed by rimfire and then .22 ctr fire and so on unlike the quentins ,tarquins and ruperts of the World with unlimited funds and whose first rifle is a .308 :good:

I'm not so small minded to type cast a deer stalker as such a fellow though :lol: ................................................................................

It's worth mentioning that we are only talking about small Deer species like Muntjac etc ! which aren,t much bigger than a Fox .