Open ticket or not open ticket

Sean100uk

Just got my firearms licence and in the conditions it says

Shall be used for shooting vermin or zeroing on ranges or land. Deemed suitable by police for the area where the land is situated and over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot

Does this mean I can shoot anywhere I have written permission as it does not state the name of the place I had used to apply for my firearm

Shall be used for shooting vermin or zeroing on ranges or land. Deemed suitable by police for the area where the land is situated and over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot

Does this mean I can shoot anywhere I have written permission as it does not state the name of the place I had used to apply for my firearm

the name of the land you granted your firearm on will be on your records.if you get other permissions you must get it cleared by your feo first. on a open ticket you are deemed capable of judging if land is suitable for you to safely shoot on....i think thats right anyway,sure someone with more exp will put you right

Rangey is right Sean. You can only shoot on land which you have permission on and has been passed by the police. Not sure if this would be the same in your area but it has just taken about 10 weeks for Cheshire to check 2 lots of land for me and I had to ring to find out the outcome. They must be busy at the moment because they have usually been very good in the past.

Mine says .223 rifle/moderator and ammunition shall be used for shooting over land which the holder has lawful authority to shoot- that's a open cert, if it says what police deem safe you will need to find out if that land is already been cleared for the calibre you want to use there, just ring the firearms team and they will tell you if its been cleared at all and if so what maximum calibre

Closed or Territorial, an open one will have the chief officer part deleted.

“used for shooting vermin and ground

game/fox/deer (delete as appropriate) and

for zeroing on ranges, or land deemed

suitable by the chief officer of police for the area

where the land is situated and over which the

holder has lawful authority to shoot.

(The words in italics may be omitted once

the certificate holder has demonstrated

competence. There is no set time for this

and each case should be considered on its

individual merits.)

TEH

When I first started shooting there was no such thing as all this checking the land and having it cleared. At best they phoned the farmer and asked him if he knew you. I doubt many FEOs would really understand the issues and implications of whether the land is any good. Much of it is cobblers anyway. There is virtually no land in the South of England thats truely "safe" for a rifle such as a .243 so its all down the shooter at the end of the day.

Much of it is just a day out of the office for the FEO and a bit of milage expenses IMO

Edited by Vince Green

When I first started shooting there was no such thing as all this checking the land and having it cleared. At best they phoned the farmer and asked him if he knew you. I doubt many FEOs would really understand the issues and implications of whether the land is any good. Much of it is cobblers anyway. There is virtually no land in the South of England thats truely "safe" for a rifle such as a .243 so its all down the shooter at the end of the day.

Much of it is just a day out of the office for the FEO and a bit of milage expenses IMO

I am very with you on that. however the worrying thing is many novices see inspected land as "safe". Its not just the south short of absoloute wilderness there is no safe land only a safe or unsafe shot. Years back the FEO visted the land with the applicant and was realy vetting him not the land, these days its done by a daft tick box system and i think it fair to say in the majourity of cases by someone who doesnt even shoot rifles

Precisely. As I think I have said on previous threads - I'm surprised that they do it like this. I mean, if they are saying that its 'safe' then are they prepared to get sued if there is an accident? Someone who is declaring something 'safe' has obviously been subject to rigerous, in depth, training and certification in order to come to these decisions, surely?

J.

Precisely. As I think I have said on previous threads - I'm surprised that they do it like this. I mean, if they are saying that its 'safe' then are they prepared to get sued if there is an accident? Someone who is declaring something 'safe' has obviously been subject to rigerous, in depth, training and certification in order to come to these decisions, surely?

J.

:stupid: