Out with the .17hmr for crows any tips on getting em to land?

lewis2012

Hi all off out with the hmr today in hope to get some crows on the ground, its around 1 degrees here in wales bitter cold lol so was thinking whats the best way to get em to land? Tried the owl decoy in the past but they just try to attack it and not alot of good trees to get em to land only forestry which i am aware wouldnt be a safe shot as the forestry is thick brushed. I was thinkin some sort of food on a nice back stop banking? Havent got a dead rabbit before anyone suggests that lol itll have to be normal household food. I have the fox pro caller but wen i use that they come in but wont land and i Am fully concealed

Thanks all

Lewis

1;Try putting a few eggs out, maybe break a couple. If they fly off with your eggs, session over. :sad1: :sad1:

2;Look out for roadkill on the way to your permission and peg it out

3;Try to pre bait with cheap tinned dog food maybe? dont forget the can opener!

4; 17hmr should allow you to shoot 100yrds+ which will help, you need to be well hidden and avoid movement.

5;Use a crow call to bring them close enough to see the bait.

Keep us posted, good luck.

If you bait, get the gun set up on a rest or tripod, aimed and zeroed at the target.

You need to be very well concealed in the hide. The eyesight of corvids is excellent. Stay very still and you should shoot a few birds.

If you pre-bait the spot for a few days prior to shooting, so they get comfortable coming in to the bait then you will have a better chance of it.