Dogs driving cars

Andy135

If they had a policy that included putting strays down after 1 week if they didnt have a mirochip.It would free up thousands of spaces and save countless thousands of pounds.

The stray problem would be over in 2 maybe 3 years.

Insist on a dog license at £50 per dog and mandatory ID chip (including puppies! before they are sold), and a fine of £200 if your dog ends up in a pound.

Any dog picked up with a chip would automaticaly recognise the last reg owner. If you havent bothered to transfer the ownership then tough! you pay the bill.(that would take care of puppy farmers and quick buck merchants).

If it doesnt have a chip .....bye bye Fido!

If they had a policy that included putting strays down after 1 week if they didnt have a mirochip.It would free up thousands of spaces and save countless thousands of pounds.

Insist on a dog license at £50 per dog and mandatory ID chip (including puppies! before they are sold), and a fine of £200 if your dog ends up in a pound.

Any dog picked up with a chip would automaticaly recognise the last reg owner. If you havent bothered to transfer the ownership then tough! you pay the bill.(that would take care of puppy farmers and quick buck merchants).

I think your in the wrong place - we're on this planet called Earth...

Putting dogs down after one week is stupid - I know a dog which was collected after is was 'supposed' to be put down, it ended up with a very happy life and a loving home. Why have a stupid policy to automatically kill them all after 7 days?

Make people chip their dogs? Make people pay for a dog licence?

For goodness sake, it's not up to you to make everybody pay yet more money for everything (in case you hadn't noticed money isn't in plentiful supply to everybody), nor is it up to you to make everybody registered on yet another database. Enough things are tightly controlled as it is, stop making things worse.

Your idea(s) would cost people more money, create more pointless paperwork and confusion, would not help dogs (in fact it'd kill many) and is plain stupid, and would do no good.

And what relevance does this rant have to the original post, which as far as I can see is mainly about teaching dogs to drive, bizarre as it may seem?

You're obviously all heart, Nipper. Setting aside the fact that your "proposals" would create as many problems as they might solve, I couldn't entertain the mass slaughter of dogs in order to eradicate a perceived stray-dog problem.

Ever heard of re-homing?

You'll be advocating the rounding-up and euthanising of the human homeless, next.

"automatically kill them all after 7 days?"

If they were chipped they wouldnt be killed would they !

"(in case you hadn't noticed money isn't in plentiful supply to everybody),"

Thats why the dog charities are always begging for more money!

They are full of dogs that no-body wants!

If people had to reg and pay for their puppies, it might stop muppets churning out pups that end up on the scrap heap.

"Your idea(s) would cost people more money, create more pointless paperwork and confusion, would not help dogs (in fact it'd kill many) and is plain stupid, and would do no good."

It would cost irresponsible people money! and rightly so.

Less paperwork ,because all dogs would be chipped and all it would take is a phonecall.

If any of my dogs got lost I would pay £200 to get them back!

Yes it would kill many.But that is a product of peoples greed.Make it cost money instead and they will be less likely flood the free papers with mongrels and designer rubbish.

Once the surplus is away,the putting to sleep should reduce to a bare minimum.

"teaching dogs to drive, bizarre as it may seem?"

They are trying to drum up interest for cash strapped rescues to move some of their dogs.

If there wasnt such a surplus they wouldnt have to spend thousands of man hours teaching a few dogs how to drive as a gimmick .They could spend all their time on all the rest as well.

"Ever heard of re-homing?"

If that worked successfully we wouldnt be having this conversation.

"You'll be advocating the rounding-up and euthanising of the human homeless, next."

Never crossed my mind . BUT you have obviously thought about it ??????

The bottom line is that there are thousands and thousands of unwanted animals put down EVERY year by the charities and rescues.

But none of them like to talk about it do they.

We have already established that rehoming doesnt work very well.

So what is your answer to it ?

Wasn't expecting such a lively debate here.

The reason I posted the link was because of the rescue home's approach of changing people's perceptions of rescue dogs as no-hopers/untrainable/not pet material. i.e if they can be trained to drive a car then they can be trained to behave, if indeed their behaviour was a factor in them being sent to the rescue centre in the first place (I'm sure many dogs get taken to a rehoming centre due to the fault of the owner, not necessarily the dog).

I don't believe in putting a dog down just because it's not wanted, but I do think that dog licensing would help to cut down on unscrupulous puppy farming and opportunistic breeding. Who knows, maybe we should have a basic test before the licence was awarded to make sure that applicants were serious about getting a dog, instead of just on impulse etc etc.

Anyway, as you were gents...

Nipper, perhaps you aren't aware that the large animal charities (such as the RSPCA) are run purely for profit. They could re-home the animals if they tried, but it's cheaper for them to put most of them down. They have vast amounts of money, and their only focus is making more.

With re-homing dogs, it's a matter of won't, not can't.

Edited by bedwards1966

Nipper, perhaps you aren't aware that the large animal charities (such as the RSPCA) are run purely for profit. They could re-home the animals if they tried, but it's cheaper for them to put most of them down. They have vast amounts of money, and their only focus is making more.

With re-homing dogs, it's a matter of won't, not can't.

I completely understand what your saying.

But the problem wont go away untill it affects people where it hurts! THATS THEIR POCKETS !

My answer to the problem may be severe,but at least its an idea!

As with a lot of things these days,unless we change the social opinion of something it will stay and bite us in the rrrs for a long time.

No politicion is going to say anything but "AWWW! Poor likkle doggies" because he will loose votes otherwise.

No hard choice is easy .So what else can we do ?

I completely understand what your saying.

But the problem wont go away untill it affects people where it hurts! THATS THEIR POCKETS !

My answer to the problem may be severe,but at least its an idea!

As with a lot of things these days,unless we change the social opinion of something it will stay and bite us in the rrrs for a long time.

No politicion is going to say anything but "AWWW! Poor likkle doggies" because he will loose votes otherwise.

No hard choice is easy .So what else can we do ?

Have to say that's surprisingly sensible.....now tell them your plan for lions, monkeys etc.... :lol:

nipper what gives you the right, to force me to chip my dog?

Because it's for the greater good - too many nuggets pump out puppies as a quick money maker with no regard for where the dogs end up - if you are a dog owner you will know the cost of chipping a dog is a piddle in the ocean when compared to the vets bills you will pay over its life.

chipping would mean that someone was held accountable for not taking care of thier dog.

I would say it makes sense - yes it's a harsh line but then that is whats required as we are at the point where no other action will work!

Regards,

Gixer

I don't believe in putting a dog down just because it's not wanted,

Nipper is entirely right and the sad case is people do dump dogs that aren't wanted, you only have to look on here to see how many dogs get punted on when someone doesn't fancy looking after them any more. Charities are exactly that and their main issue is they don't have the resources to keep hundreds of dogs that aren't possible to re home, when you look at the numbers of staffy / staffy crosses that people don't want. Dogs with health issues and elderly dogs they get it is a hard situation and one where no one on here will help,

Screw! the greater good. It's my dog, I'll decide if he's to be chipped or docked. I'll decide what's in his best interest, because he's my dog. If you want to have you dog, cat or children chipped then that's your business.

you can't though you can only dock if the dog meets the docking criteria and then it HAS to be chipped that bit is law these days.

My opinion, for what it's worth.

All puppies should be chipped by the breeder before sale.

The breeder should be responsible for registering the new owners details.

Anybody that wishes to breed their dam or sire should require a license.

With this system all dogs would be traceable. Nobody would buy a dog if the breeder didn't have a license to breed.

Nobody would sell a dog without knowing who they were selling it to.

Just saying. :hmm:

I have no problem with you statement. My problem is having the decision taken away from me.

Its not personal but to get the people who do breed unscrupulously and people that buy on a whim it would need to be compulsory to get people to actually do it. A fair few places do it free from time to time round here and the more people that do it so the cost would come down its a small cost of dog ownership

Nobody is forcing you to chip your dog ! and thats why we cant trace any strays!

In future,

The dog should be chipped BEFORE you get it !

Does the bitch chip them on the way out?

Or in your utopian future is all home breeding illegal?

Edited by SneakyD

Does the bitch chip them on the way out?

Or in your utopian future is all home breeding illegal?

The RESPONSIBLE breeder will ensure that happens .(If he cares about what he is breeding?)

That should stop the puppy farmers!

In my utopian future....EVERY DOG will have an owner thats traceable.

Simple really!

So what is your answer to the stray problem Sneaky?

The RESPONSIBLE breeder will ensure that happens .(If he cares about what he is breeding?)

That should stop the puppy farmers!

How? Unlicensed guns and drugs are illegal, does this mean they don't exist?

In my utopian future....EVERY DOG will have an owner thats traceable.

Simple really!

Yes of course, writing something into statue automaticly makes it so. Like the Italian town that made it illegal to die.

So what is your answer to the stray problem Sneaky?

I don't have a stray problem.

Now let me ask you a question, where do you draw line for government control?