winter rape

Matt Gould

i have allways found shooting pigeons on winter rape very difficalt like many others i would just like some of you who have had good days on rape to help share some tips to maybe make my days better :) thanks

same here went out yesterday 1000+ birds on one field so I set up on and my mate set up on another field to keep them moving but it never really got going

I have been out today and shot 27 over rape.

I moved six times and probably spent less than an hour on each field, once the birds were obviously not returning, I moved.

I only put a hide up twice, the rest of the time I sat in hedges, or under trees and I used the shot birds as decoys.

This is the pattern of my shooting in the Winter over rape, until we get a harder spell of weather.

Then I find the birds are easier to decoy and will start to commit to certain fields.

shot 65 saturday and today 15. out tomorrow with the ferrets and may do a spot of roost shooting. there are 3000 odd on rape here but such a big area of rape to cover you just need to get onto a flight line and get a good patten out. saturday we had 2 magnets and 30 odd decoys out and they where decoying in so nice it was great. in big numbers to we must of had 200 in the patten at one time. but today they had all grouped up into one massive group and they didnt want to know we where also not in the same place as saturday which was a mistake but we know next time. My advise is to stick to flight lines and have a good hide wait for a nice windy day and get as many peope out as you can :)

Hi Matt went out yesterday on the rape which is only about 3inches in height. Was set up by 7:30am which I find essential as they come off roost. Wind was coming from my left to my right, whirlybird with hypers was positioned 20 yards in front and thirty to my left. In front of that ten yards apart were two flappers and in between them two floaters. From the hide to the whirlybird were 8 flock shells and from the whirlybird back down past the hide I put 15 shells, these ended up opposite my hide. To my right 60yards down I positioned two hyper flaps on terminator rods to help guide the birds in. Behind me were a couple of sitty oak trees aswell. The idea being the birds would come round along in front of the hide before reaching the flappers/ whirlybird. It worked for me as I shot 48 for 67 shots and packed up at 2pm. Hope that helps fella.