Leupold vx3 6.5-20x50mm varmint reticle

scottk

Looking at purchasing the above scope, for air and possible rimfire/hmr work in the future, what doe everybody think to them for this work? Also are they any good with nv set ups?

I have owned Lepus before but nothing at this level and the customer service is excellent, but hearing mixed reports about low light level and nv work.

Thanks in advance

Scott

I have this scope, plus the 8.5-25x50. Both with the varmint reticule.

The optics are good, clear and bright, and the fine reticle is great in daylight but not so good as the light fades. You will lose sight of the crosshairs well before you lose sight of the rabbit. An illuminated reticle would help.

I have used the 6.5-20 with add-on Gen1 night vision, it works quite well however I had to make an extender because of the long eye relief of the scope. Once set up the NV was clear but I've had easier results with cheaper scopes.

Now I prefer to spot with the NV and shoot with a lamp mounted on the scope.

Mine are actually the VXIII rather than VX3, I don't think there is a lot of difference. I bought both used, the last one (8.5-25x50 LRT ) was £300 in mint condition. Good value at that price, not so good at the £800 some retailers want for it, there are better scopes available for £800.

Here is the extender for NV, you can see how far back it moves the eyepiece, requiring a butt extender.

Merlin_adapter_jpg.jpg

Scopes get very personal and the choice must be yours!

But seeing as you asked, I consider this way over the top for an air rifle or rimfire!

Its a 50mm objective and I'm pretty sure these are 30mm tube (someone will correct me if not), what on earth concerns do you have about low light/lamping/NV, other than it starts at 6.5x Mag?

Thanks for the advice catweasle, would be nice to pick one up second hand that's for sure just don't seem to come up that often, I see your point about the long eye relief and the nv.

Dekers, I've owned dozens of scope and fancied jumping up a level, just because it has a 30mm tube and 50 objective does to mean that it will perform, I have seen lots of differences between scopes and have many with 25mil better than 30, I guess it's all about glass quality. I have found in my experience some of the cheaper less coated lense scopes perform better than higher quality particularly with nv. Hence the question before jumping into a big purchase as I have neve sat an nv on a quality scope.

Thanks

Scott

Edited by scottk

Thanks for the advice catweasle, would be nice to pick one up second hand that's for sure just don't seem to come up that often, I see your point about the long eye relief and the nv.

Dekers, I've owned dozens of scope and fancied jumping up a level, just because it has a 30mm tube and 50 objective does to mean that it will perform, I have seen lots of differences between scopes and have many with 25mil better than 30, I guess it's all about glass quality. I have found in my experience some of the cheaper less coated lense scopes perform better than higher quality particularly with nv. Hence the question before jumping into a big purchase as I have neve sat an nv on a quality scope.

Thanks

Scott

http://www.leupold.c...-3-riflescopes/

This is a VX3, it has good glass, good dusk/dawn and is well made, yours also has a 50mm objective and 30mm tube, light transmission is good. What suits one individual and not another is down to personal choice and their eyes. I had a 4.5-14x40 Long Range VX3, It was well made and worked, and was fine at night, but I thought it was well overpriced and moved it on quickly. Certainly some lens coatings need to be considered for some NV.

As someone else said, if you can find one of these used (NOT the LONG RANGE as the reticles are very fine) then by all means give it a go, they are not worth the money in my book but are still far better than most will ever need on an air rifle or rimfire.

Put simply, I just would not spend that much on a scope for field work for air, absolutely no need for me, £200 is plenty and there are several nearer the £100 mark that work well, what about the Simmons WTC 3.5-10x50, available about £150.

Like I said, a personal opinion, and if you want something like that on an air rifle then go for it! :good:

Edited by Dekers

The close focus can be fixed by adjusting the objective lens, I did one of mine years ago for air rifle HFT shooting. You'll need to put it back again for HMR distances as the focus mechanism doesn't have enough range adjustment for both.

There have been some negative posts in this thread, and if you assume the silly RRP price of £800+ I can understand that, but viewed as a used buy, with a lifetime warranty, for £300 or even £400 it's not bad at all.

I use a Bushnell Elite 3200 4-12 x 40 for NV, I've had it for years and it has given good service.