Getting started

Gunneravi

Hi all

I am really keen to start wildfowling. I am intrigued by the whole thing. The quarry identification and just the thought of spending time doing something I love with the dog in a rewarding and challenging environment. I realise I am going to have to travel seeing as there is a post in the next village stating I am at the furthest point inland in England! However this doesn't phase me.

How do you think I should go about it. I have been reading books and articles on the Internet and I have looked into several wildfowling clubs. Is this the way to go? Joining a club seems like a good idea as some of them run courses on call recognition and quarry identification etc. as well as teaching the safety aspect of the tides etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Best thing you can do is join a club. Basc have a Wildfowling permits book that list all the local clubs offering supervised day tickets.

Then join a club you like and do a year as a probationary member giving you lots of on the job training.

Become a fully fledged Wildfowler and get out watch the sun rise and the marsh come to life.

Probably the most romantic of the shooting sports and once bitten you will never give in.

Just hope your not a fair weather shooter ;):lol::good:

Edited by mpk

As above, definately join a club and go out with more experienced fowlers as many times as you can. If you fancy some inland Wash fowling your 76 miles and 1hr 40mins from WWC.

Stu travels from Oxfordshire on a regular basis so you`re not alone travelling. I, and I`m sure Stu would be happy to show you the ropes.

Edited by Yoggy

That's great lads I'd really appreciate it. Having a day with someone in the know is exactly what I need. There just seems to be so much more than a driven day or a day in the hide. Not that those things aren't a good day. I watched a few youtube vids and it just looks superb. If anyone is available in the new year ill make sure I'm free. Thanks again everyone

Listen fellow wildfowlers, we are supposed to be nasty horrible men who don't share our sport and don't help people to enjoy our favourite spots etc. We have all the places tied up so others can't go.....what has happened, we all offer help and advice now??? When did our secret rules change.

Gunner, if you fancy a day on the wash let us know. Hope you enjoy your day wherever you go.

Listen fellow wildfowlers, we are supposed to be nasty horrible men who don't share our sport and don't help people to enjoy our favourite spots etc. We have all the places tied up so others can't go.....what has happened, we all offer help and advice now??? When did our secret rules change.

Gunner, if you fancy a day on the wash let us know. Hope you enjoy your day wherever you go.

:lol: :lol: I`ve been told deep down you`re a big softie really Graham!! ;) ;)

Don't go telling people things like that yoggy, I will no longer be able to scare the life out of new members and those I take out haha.

I though it was funny after we have been labeled all of the above at times.

Hope your not cut off in those fen's

Its a nightmate mate, the B1040 W`sey to Thorney section of road has now been flooded for 6 weeks. So our trips to Spalding have stopped for the time being!.The water levels on the Wash are the worse I`ve witnessed in nearly 30 yrs of shooting. In some parts of the Wash its 14 ft deep. Totally screwed the shooting up. The Duck have no choice but to feed on the tidal section of the Nene banks..........where we cant get to!!!!!!!. They counted nearly 3000 Wigeon on the banks on Wednesday so quite frustrating really!!. Although we still have areas to shoot it has restricted us no end. My first buy next year is a new boat!!.

Lol.

Thanks very much, I'd appreciate all the experience I can get. At the moment it's all reading and watching vids on the Internet.

From a new Fowler to another. I joined south lincs wildfowlers this year and have spent time with guys from spalding and holbeach fowlers as well as guys from my own club.

I've said it before wildfowlers a some of the best guys you shall meet ayano3 included, but you must put some of the hard work in yourself.

PM me if you wish to talk to a fellow New wildfowler.

All I can say is, true foreshore fowling is the most wonderfull sport I have ever done and is something I hold very tightly to my own fenland heart.

Another budding fruitcake :good: good man, welcome to a unique club

Youll never forget the sunrises (or lack of in rain and snow) or sunsets, the bird song, the sight of Peregrine chasing Teal, the Kingfisher sitting on a branch 6ft away from you in the gulley.

010.jpg

Sunrise Feb 5th last year, (thats ice on the river bed) -5 C

29259298.jpg

Feb 20th 2010 it snowed so much it completely covered my Goose deeks and I couldnt see them till it melted a bit

014_zpsad3ae030.jpg

Got it right (for a change :D )

017-2_zps1a67858d.jpg

And again, must be a bad habit I caught somewhere :D

008-1_zpsc54f01ee.jpg