dream come true for me

Mr Rizzini

Finally had a dream come true today.

My father and I have always loved shooting and we both got our permits at the same time so we could spend so father and son time together in the countryside, After having springer and pcp air-rifles we decided they weren't for us and that the shotgun style shooting was the way to go as we could sit in hides and walk fields and have a good ole natter on the way.

My father suggested we go out today to a permission we have that was pestered with crows last year but after we thinned them out there was only the odd one about and as the ground is a beautiful part of the countryside and the farmer has approx 200 acres we thought the walk alone would be worth it.

We took a walk round and seen nothing and decided to sit out a couple of crow decoys on gate posts and after calling with the primos power crow caller a few crows started to come about to have a look. standing behind a hedge suddenly a grey back crow appeared which I dropped like a stone. The fog started to thicken so we decided to take another walk and I suggested that we take a walk through a heavy bit of rough ground, We had just climbed over a fence and after deciding which way to walk we had walked about 5 yards when a pheasant flushed from under my feet, I quickly lifted my gun and fired of a shot which seemed to have no effect and pheasant carried on while I sent another 32g 6 charge through the air, at this point the pheasant dropped about 20 yards away like a stone and my father was in total shock that he didn't even get to lift his gun to it. we grabbed a couple of photos and I put it in the game pocket of my jacket and we still or in shocked that we managed to bag a pheasant at this festive time of the year when we only went out for crows.

Today was what shooting is all about for us, getting out in the fields and having a bit of banter along the way and getting the pheasant was a very big bonus to us. We hope to eat it on boxing day with a beer or 10 so any suggestions as to if 4 days is enough for it to hang by the neck in my shed and any suggestions as to how to cook it would be great.

Photos to follow when my ole boy emails them to me.

cheers and merry christmas to you all

well done Mr. R that's one you'll never forget, maybe the reason you missed it with the first barrel was that it could have been too close as it fell 'about 20 yards' with your second shot, gives yourself an extra second or two to compose yourself and give the pattern of the cartridge time to spread out a little, good luck and hope you get your next one very soon :good: