Hello all.....returning after several years

Passionforangling

Hi everyone, I have been looking on these forums for a while and decided it was about time I joined and hopefully contribute to these lively forums.

I used to shoot in the mid 80's, mainly pigeons and a bit of rough shooting on local farmers land but also visited the Solway on two occasions which was absolutely brilliant although from memory I think I only shot a couple of ducks, certainly the geese never came in range but hey ho it was a great experience.

I have always fished....mainly for carp in the summer and pike and perch in the winter but a few months ago really got the urge to go shooting again so, made a few phone calls and was lucky enough to have a days pigeon shooting with a chap locally which was great...I only sat and watched but it was enough to relight the fire so out have come all the old shooting books, the gun cabinet has been fixed in, BASC membership organised and a licence applied for.

Strange but it's like a kid waiting for Xmas now because I've got to wait about 6-8 weeks to get approval and although I can't see any problems it's a bit frustrating having the wait.

Living in mid Warwickshire (Coleshill) the estuaries and foreshores are a fair travelling distance but my plan this year is to maybe approach the Gloucester Wildfowlers to see if I can buy a pass to go with someone under the BASC permit scheme (again just to watch because it's doubtful I will have a gun before the season ends) just to rekindle that Solway flame with the intention of maybe going back up there next year.

Anyway, sorry for the rather lengthy introduction but looking forward to reading and contributing to posts in the future

All the best

Dave

Thanks for the welcome guys and Reabrook, thanks for the link, I've made contact with them and hopefully will be having a trial with the GWA before the season ends.

The Jan/Feb mag from BASC just dropped on my doormat and I noticed the Wildfowling Conference on page 47. The hotel is only a couple of miles from me so I may pay a visit ....is this a day you guys would recommend?

• 1 month later...

Hi all....thought I'd just update my initial post. Well since that post I've managed to secure the licence, get a gun (Beretta Silver Pigeon m/c) and all the bits needed for a stab at pigeon shooting. Have been pigeon shooting a couple of times and really enjoyed it although my shooting accuracy leaves a little to be desired but hopefully I'll get better with practice on the clays.

I got in touch with GWA and a chap there I spoke to on the phone was really helpful and said he would allow me to go with him as a spectator and sure enough, he contacted me on New Year's Eve to ask if I wanted to join him but, Sod's law, I'd caught that vile chest bug that loads of people had over New Year which laid me up for a week so there was no way I could join him.

We've exchanged some texts since and he said he'll try and get me out before the seasons end which would be great. I'd still only want to spectate the first time because its so long since I went wildfowling I think being on the foreshore without a gun to fall over would be best on the first trip!

Thanks for your welcomes and good luck to all of you in the next couple of weeks if you are venturing out...

Welcome back Dave, and welcome to the forum.....[Passion for angling was my all time fav angling programme!!]

"Was" Yoggy? ....have you found a better one then since. I have been luck enough to fish Redmire a few times ( remember the scarecrow) and it is as beautiful today as it was when that series was first aired.

And Reabrook.....you bet I will post up a full report of the trip if it comes off....hope so!

"Was" Yoggy? ....have you found a better one then since. I have been luck enough to fish Redmire a few times ( remember the scarecrow) and it is as beautiful today as it was when that series was first aired.

And Reabrook.....you bet I will post up a full report of the trip if it comes off....hope so!

I've been a fisherman all my life. If it swims I've fished for it. CY was my all time angling hero and Casting at the Sun one of my all time favourite books yet I've never been able to get into that series. No idea why it just doesn't do it for me

I`ll re-phrase that...."IS"!!!!!!. I`ve met CY a couple of times....really nice down to earth bloke and definately stuck in a time warp!!!. But that what makes the bloke so interesting. You`re very lucky to have fished Redmire, definately a piece of angling history.

His attitude toward angling reflects my own. Which is probably why I was smitten by the programme. I like to keep things as simple as possible......Roving a River, with just rod,net and a bag is my idea of bliss!!!

CY used to turn up at a few of the Gamefairs here abouts and always had time for a chat. A real intriguing gent to talk to who's eccentricity was always apparent. He was also someone whose company I'd have happily shared on the riverbank. Not many I could say that about.

Totally agree mate....... :good:

I must admit I've never met him or even seen him and I've been to a few game fairs and similar over the years. He would be a very interesting character to have a pint with....maybe one day? Can you imagine the kind of Wildfowler he would be if his fishing exploits are anything to go by!

Muddy, in leather sea boots, Burberry coat and a ruddy great Tolley double 8, oh, and 'a man' to fetch things :) .