A Rifle for All Reasons?

Frenchieboy

Kent - From my experience the only way a rabbit is edible after being shot with a .243 is with a head shot which is likely to vapourise the head - And even then it needs to be broadside on to you. With anything other than a head shot there is very little to pick up let alone cook.

Frenchieboy don't get too bogged down with paperwork and bench data, in the field there is not a big enough difference between .222 and .223 to worry about... personally I use a .223 with a 26 inch barrel and a 1:12 twist, the weight and length of it is a damn nuisance (with mod attached) but I can target shoot it out to 600yds (if it's not too windy) and it is more than capable at despatching foxes and bunnies, if you want to eat the bunny afterwards just choose yer shots and headshoot those ones. I use 55grain heads for everything now, anything heavier tends to pepperpot I figure it's the twist rate. .223 is easier to lay hands on and has a variety of choice compared to .222, I used .222 for years and moved to .223 because of this . I only wish that I'd got a shorter barrel though, other than that I 'm very happy with my choice. Don't forget the less common the calibre = the less common the ammo, just go to your local dealer and ask what choice of ammo he has in given calibres..... might help influence your choice

Thanks for all of the thoughts and advice guys. I have been reading through the replies carefully and thinking hard about all of the options and which road I want to go down if push comes to shove. I have decided that should the situation arise in the near future I am going to opt for either a .222 or a .223 as there is not too much between them. I have made this decision as they are both fairly common calibres with a reasonable choice and availability of Factory Ammunition and either of these calibres sound like they should fill my needs.

I do know where there is a very nice nearly new M77 in .223 that has one of the nicest pieces of woodwork on it (A Laminated stock) which has fired less than 100 shots from new and is at the right sort of price which is already scoped up and (I believe) threaded - And the friend who owns it is not in any rush to sell it so I don't have to push things and maybe make a decision I might regret later.

All I need to do now is to have a very careful think about my personal situation and make a final decision.

simple answer Frenchie is for what you want a .22cf will do any flavour it just depends how much you are going to do, I'd think long and hard before getting rid of your .22lr though as lets face it you will sell for not a lot and they cost peanuts to run and if you ever have rabbits to deal with are far better than using a center fire. If you aren't going to do much range wise i'd keep your .243 as well, as ever rifles are far more expensive to buy than you can sell for, and you stay deer legal if you ever get the chance. I sold my .223 recently and have re opened the slot but don't know if I will fill it again though if the area of ground I shoot continues to increase at its current rate and the fox tally keeps rising it might be a good idea not to keep using my .243.

Kent - From my experience the only way a rabbit is edible after being shot with a .243 is with a head shot which is likely to vapourise the head - And even then it needs to be broadside on to you. With anything other than a head shot there is very little to pick up let alone cook.

Still even the head shot my experience shows too much damage. Tried even skimming the upper part of the head with a mate in Scotland once using fairly slow 100 grn deer bullets, they looked not bad but the back legs, ribs etc rattled inside the bag that used to be a rabbit, if you were real desperate you might just bother looking inside, the bladder and rumen would have as such been ruptured I think and they were mostly 100 yds and over

Still even the head shot my experience shows too much damage. Tried even skimming the upper part of the head with a mate in Scotland once using fairly slow 100 grn deer bullets, they looked not bad but the back legs, ribs etc rattled inside the bag that used to be a rabbit, if you were real desperate you might just bother looking inside, the bladder and rumen would have as such been ruptured I think and they were mostly 100 yds and over

I have to agree with you Kent. Let's face it, in reality a .243 for rabbit shooting is a little bit of a case of being "Overgunned"! Mind you, when you do hit them there is no real chance of getting a "Runner"!

Thanks for all of the thoughts and advice guys. I have been reading through the replies carefully and thinking hard about all of the options and which road I want to go down if push comes to shove. I have decided that should the situation arise in the near future I am going to opt for either a .222 or a .223 as there is not too much between them. I have made this decision as they are both fairly common calibres with a reasonable choice and availability of Factory Ammunition and either of these calibres sound like they should fill my needs.

I do know where there is a very nice nearly new M77 in .223 that has one of the nicest pieces of woodwork on it (A Laminated stock) which has fired less than 100 shots from new and is at the right sort of price which is already scoped up and (I believe) threaded - And the friend who owns it is not in any rush to sell it so I don't have to push things and maybe make a decision I might regret later.

All I need to do now is to have a very careful think about my personal situation and make a final decision.

It's a bit late to add to this really but I think your decision to go with a .222/.223 is a good one. You can shoot most things with that round. With careful bullet selection (will you be home loading?) you can minimise the damage to small quarry whilst still being able to take larger game fairly well. I would have to suggest you keep a rimfire too though. Considering that on Guntrader there are seven .22lr's for £50 I really can't see a sensible reason why you couldn't have one of those to compliment it? You could get the full kit, scope and mod for under £100. That's only 200 rounds of Prvi in .22cf and you'll get through that soon enough when out bunny bashing.

On a personal note I wish you all the best with whatever it is that's going on.

Shot with 100gr sp and there edible

Thanks for that Reggie. Maybe I could ask you another question about comparing the .222 against the .223. What is the situation with moderators - When moderated (Let's say while using the same type of moderator, regardless of which type or make) is there much noticable difference in noise please?

Sorry can't help on that one. I have a 223 without a mod and my mate has a 222 with out a mod and they are both LOULD

17 hornet seems to do most things that people require fox,rabbit,etc...

Based on the 22 Hornet cartridge case, the 17 Hornet propels the 20 gr V-MAX at 3,650 fps. Fueled with Superformance propellent, the 17 Hornet Superformance Varmint is economically priced, and delivers the trajectory of a traditional 55 gr 223 load, but is a pleasure to shoot with the felt recoil of a 22 WMR.

The 17 Hornet – an economical, fun .17 caliber centerfire cartridge that puts the STING on varmints out to 300 yards!

• 3,650 fps muzzle velocity with a 20 gr. V-MAX bullet
  • Same C.O.L. as the 22 Hornet – uses the existing action
  • Trajectory comparable to a traditional 55 gr 223 Rem,
    but the felt recoil of a 22 WMR
  • Less fouling, barrel wear, powder and pressure compared to the 17 Rem
  • Lower cost and comparable quality to the 17 Fireball and 223 Rem

I will be getting one very soon :good:

This is my hope too - looks good on initial shooting - waiting for a CZ this year - one on my ticket. The .223 is hard on rabbits,even at long ranges.

If it works in the field the .17 hornet centrefire may well be the only rifle I need (other than a 308 for deer).

Presently I have a .22, and .223. Keeping the .22 for subs with mod but will get rid of the .223 if the .17H lives up to expectation.25 grain for foxes and reloading potential

This is my hope too - looks good on initial shooting - waiting for a CZ this year - one on my ticket. The .223 is hard on rabbits,even at long ranges.

If it works in the field the .17 hornet centrefire may well be the only rifle I need (other than a 308 for deer).

Presently I have a .22, and .223. Keeping the .22 for subs with mod but will get rid of the .223 if the .17H lives up to expectation.25 grain for foxes and reloading potential

I find a .22 lr and the .22 Hornet with a .243 meet all my UK needs ( the .243 needs good bullet selection appropriate to the quarry BUT no boar) The .22 variant handles fox, rabbits, hares and corvid- I have yet to ruin anything edible