Review Of The Chiappa 1887 Lever-Action Shotgun

ChAoS

what a joke that bloke was that I placed an order for the 1887

That's a shame. From whom did you order it?

When I - eventually - shoot some video, you'll be able to get some vicarious pleasure, anyway. (At least, I hope you will..)

Regards,

Mark.

P.S. Did you take a look at the pikkies on that other thread?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Cool review, great shape guns.

I have a Winchester 1887 serial number dates to 1888

I had it nitro proofed but it is cylinder (just a smadge over 24inch barrel) I may multi choke it.

Not sure I want to put it through the stress of another proof round though but cylinder is absolutely rubbish unless

you are in the habit of shooting (if your licence lets you) slugs or buck.

Not sure what to do.

Well, as you now know, my Chiappa is multi-choked and I use it for PSG.

Right now, I've only shot birdshot and buckshot in the gun. Like many PSGers, I leave a half-choke in the gun and don't bother to change it. However, I'll probally change that to TC when I (finally) get around to shooting some slug.

I do *have* the odd little "hiccough" with feeding but these are getting fewer as I use the gun more. (Videos of such events don't get uploaded to YouTube because the stage times are longer and it's takes me long enough to upload *short* videos.)

I've recently gone back to using my M37 DSPS which has an under-bored TC barrel. Shooting long steels with *that* can be very challenging. The last competition I shot had a stage with long targets, but I was determined to get as many as possible down. At the end of the stage, the whole barrel was smoking from end to end - on the *outside*. (The Parkerizing is designed to retain the oil or grease to inhibit corrosion, as I understand it.)

Finally, regarding your thread about screw-cutting a *real* '1887, I'm in the "leave the old guns alone" camp. If you want something to *use*, then why not retire or sell the Winchester and get something that more suits your purpose?

Whatever you decide to do, don't stop leverin'. :)

Regards,

Mark.

• 1 year later...

I thought that it was about time that I updated this thread.

Having broken *all* of my Ithaca shotguns, I've been using the Chiappa 1887 for PSG for the last year-and-a-half. It's holding up well. The stock has a *slight* amount of play, but it's not getting any worse so I've not bothered to try and fix it.

I now have a "tacticool" Hat - I wear a miniature gunbelt around it - and load the first six rounds from the left-hand side of The Hat at the start of a stage. This leaves my waist gunbelt full. Also, I have a few rounds on the *right*-hand side of The Hat for a quick(ish) top-up on a load-one-shoot-one basis.

Even after all the practice I've had, I *still* fumble quite a bit when loading the '1887. In this case, I manage to lose track on where me ammo is on The Hat:

Remember: never stop leverin' - never stop havin' fun. :)

Regards,

Mark.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Well I got my 28" 1887 this week. Can a gun be ugly and very pretty at the same time?

Case colour hardening is well executed, even the steel butt plate. Like most guns I'll need a slip on pad though. Looking forward to giving it a run this weekend.

I hope we'll see some photos or videos, soon.

Just to add that it was this review that made me order the gun!

Uh, oh. That don't bode well... (I hope you have as much fun as *I* do using it.)

Love the wobbly chair :-)

Yeah, it can be a bit of a challenge. Funnily enough, the hard part is setting such stage props up so that they operate well for *any* shooter; PSGers come in all *sorts* of shapes and sizes.

Great thread, didn't pick up on it before today, Mark you may indeed be "chaos" but you do it in style. Trying to resist but a bit tempted by one of these I must say!

I hear you've acquired a new "toy". :)

Unfortunately, *my* M37 is still not extracting well and so the '1887 has had the most use over the last year or so. (Having said that, I shoot clays once or twice a year and am usually happy if'n I gets over 50%. A few months ago, I managed a 38/50 using my Wingmaster. Must've been a fluke...)

Finally, I am now a "Rifleman"; I've acquired a Ruger 96/22 - a *lever-action* version of the well-known Ruger 10/22. Reports and video will, of course, follow at some point in the future.

Regards,

Mark.

Sorry that you are still having problems with the M37, all mine seem to have gone. I always line up the top ejector cut out in the barrel with the slot in the receiver and check whilst tightening the mag nut with a jewellers screwdriver, the slightest step will cause a malfunction. I always now, then shift the yoke to hard against the mag nut and lock everything in place. Together with "high brass" (over 12mm) ammunition I have no problems now. Interestingly, my new '59 with its matched, serial numbered barrel is much easier to line up and involves very little jiggling to get it in the right position

Regards

Roland

I always line up the top ejector cut out in the barrel with the slot in the receiver and check whilst tightening the mag nut with a jewellers screwdriver, the slightest step will cause a malfunction.

I will faff with this when I next take the M37 to the range.

I've had a dodgy arm for the last few weeks and so haven't shot a shotgun for quite a while. Today, I was scheduled to take the '1887 out for a spell, but the meet was canceled. :(

I love my lever action air rifle and the shotgun equivalent would finish my collection off nicely.

For me , it was the other way around.

I acquired an extra couple of slots for a .22lr and .357mag lever-action rifle and had intended to fill both with "cowboy" guns.

However, I found it difficult to find a .22lr "John Wayne" gun that loaded from the side of the receiver and *that's* the reason that I grabbed the Ruger 96/22 when I saw it advertised.

A "Clint Eastwood" .357mag *will* follow at some point, though. (I like the look of the Chiappa 1892 take-down rifle. The weird thing is that's listed as being in .38sp *or* .357mag, but not both. I dunno why that should be.)

Regards,

Mark.