Do i have to "size" new brass?

Hi folks,

I've decided to start using my new brass today.

As it states above, do i need to size the new brass, either just the neck or full size?

Probably doesn't make a difference, but just incase it does, it .204 Ruger Winchester brass.

Constructive advice appreciated :)

I resize every thing, that way I know all the brass is the same and as close to the same neck tension as I can get. I only load to hunt and do like to try and get things close but I don't scrap 95 cases just because 5 have splits. I always check the brass and it an are split or damaged I will then just replace the one so sizing every thing is sized the same

I resize every thing, that way I know all the brass is the same and as close to the same neck tension as I can get. I only load to hunt and do like to try and get things close but I don't scrap 95 cases just because 5 have splits. I always check the brass and it an are split or damaged I will then just replace the one so sizing every thing is sized the same

Thanks active.

I'm ditching the Remington/Hornady cases that i re-used after i bought several boxes of complete rounds to find the most accurate one that i could then try and duplicate as best i could with my own loading.

atb

Jamie

Thanks active.

I'm ditching the Remington/Hornady cases that i re-used after i bought several boxes of complete rounds to find the most accurate one that i could then try and duplicate as best i could with my own loading.

atb

Jamie

You will never be able to duplicate a factory round they will use powders you can not get hold of.

Why not pick a bullet head, powder and primer start low and make small batches shoot groups and work your way up until you get a reasonable group thats what reloading is all about. you will need to resize all cases to strat with and use a full lenght die only after you have fired that brass in your gun and it then becomes fire formed to your rifle then you only need to neck size.

No two barrels will shoot the same.

I've only bought 20 rounds of factory centrefire ammo, and of those I've used 11. Everything else I've shot has been reloaded, and I've developed my loads for accuracy not speed.

Even if neck-sizing, your brass with stretch. When you start to get resistence when chambering (i.e. the bolt is slightly harder to close) then full-length them the next time you reload. There's nothing worse than homeloads that won't chamber !

im tight but I found ppu new brass to be tighter. I full length all of it. basically treat it like the rest of my brass. once it has been up the spout I then just neck size. when your loading 100 at a time you get a feel for the press and dies, you get to feel if something isn't quite right. I have polished all my mandrels so its a tad tighter than when its new as well. works for me so it will do.

Do I need to FL size new brass? Yes I would and trim to length too, that way you know the basic start point for your reloads is correct with no assumptions, and when we have the next thread asking why your experiencing over pressure at least we'll know it's not the brass..........

lol I wasn't being nasty, just realistic, hopefully he'll realise that once the problems persist and then may be listen to some good advice, or may be he'll follow the pork remark!

Just because some of the people of this site are d*******s, it doesn't mean i've not taken their advice.....

Just because some of the people of this site are d*******s, it doesn't mean I've not taken their advice.....

but you see that is the problem, i don't think you have taken their advice, i think you have lowered your powder so the cases stop showing signs of pressure, but really the problem probably lies else where, just masked

calling people names is just childish and down right disrespectful to the good people who are trying to help you, some of the guys know the ropes on reloading back to front and upside down, they may take the mic but when your not listening what else can they do?

and thats the last input I'll have on the matter

but you see that is the problem, i don't think you have taken their advice, i think you have lowered your powder so the cases stop showing signs of pressure, but really the problem probably lies else where, just masked

calling people names is just childish and down right disrespectful to the good people who are trying to help you, some of the guys know the ropes on reloading back to front and upside down, they may take the mic but when your not listening what else can they do?

Good-oh...

Come on Paul. Pig ....Sing ...... Waste ...... Annoy. Ring any bells.

No se puede educar a cerdo