Kindle - which one?

Mungler

I was looking to get a Kindle just for reading downloaded books - so I think I need something lightweight, cheap, decent battery and can be seen in sunlight (to take on holiday). There now appears to be a gazillion types of Kindle (all looking and costing more like ipads). So what do I need and how does it all work? Cheers all.

i was watching a programme a couple of months ago that said kindle screens only have a life of 12 months, the company that sells them know this and should you claim under warrenty at say 9 months youre new one is only coverd till youre original 12 month warrenty runs out?????.

Andy.. You want the Kindle Paperwhite.

My Kindle is awesome but, if I want to read it in low light I need a book light which is a pain.. The 'paper white' gives the best of the kindle but is backlit too should you need it!

Personally wouldn't look anywhere else!

We have a regular one and a paperwhite. Both nice, but the paperwhite is quite cool as you don't need to use a night light. You can switch the backlight on and off and even dim it to your liking. Battery life is about 2 weeks and it is used every day.

I've had a basic Kindle for over a year now.

I loaded it up with books before my hols last year and it worked well in Mediterranean sun.

A battery charge, as noted above, lasts a couple of weeks, or so.

You can download from any wi-fi area - so I topped the books up whilst I was in France (!'m a quick reader)

Best of all, you can get many of the classics for free - I'm in the middle of Les Miserables at the moment.

However, of interest for you, no doubt, will be the large erotica and gay and lesbian categories :P

i was watching a programme a couple of months ago that said kindle screens only have a life of 12 months, the company that sells them know this and should you claim under warrenty at say 9 months youre new one is only coverd till youre original 12 month warrenty runs out? ????.

My first one died after 10 months and it was replaced complete with a fresh 12 month warranty , the "new" one is now two years old with no problems.

I have a bog standard kindle and its great , I really cant see why anyone would buy a touch screen one as I can think of nothing worse than trying to read through a load of greasy finger prints !!

I'm inclined to agree.. mine was the keypad model until the wife stood on it! however, i think that one has been discontinued. We bought my mum the non touch, non kepad versio last year and to be honest I found it a complete nightmare to navigate just using a 5 way rocker!

As for greasy fingerprints... not really an issue on the matte kindle screens, they don't suffer like ipad ones do!

I'd go for the paper white one as Vipa has said.

Myself and my mam both have the basic e ink kindle then dad bought her the paperwhite version lots better, touch screen and backlit with same e ink as older one so great to see print in any light.

Figgy

for just reading I'd agree with paperwhite, my mother has one and it's very good. I'm using a Fire HD to write this, and it's very good. Not sure why a of people slate the new "shiny" touchscreens. The touchpad on these are directly laminated to the lcd display, so there's very little glare in direct sunlight. Even in a well lit room you can only see some reflection if the screen is black.