A few questions on etiquette.

Dr_Scholl

after reading the post you lot would put anyone off visiting England,maybe he should visit Scotland instead .We don't treat our visitors like that ,we welcome them .

All this nonsense about don't talk to strangers ,don't look anyone in the eye ,what's all that about ?

Scotland.... :whistling::lol: lovely country..except the Midges..

To be honest The lads have been pulling your leg (thats having a little joke) its our sense of humour...

We are very friendly over here and yes we do love to see Americans arrive and enjoy the history of our once great country,

enjoy your stay here ..and have a nice day :):good:

Edited by jasper3

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Come to Wales! When picking up your hire car at heathrow you turn left not right when you have to pay £6.40 you're in Wales, it has everything you could ever want to see, Churches (mostly leaking and deserted), Castles (ruined and deserted), Beer (from the good to the bad), erm cant think of anything else.

Just be yourself and enjoy it.

Go everywhere you want to see and meet up with a few lads off the forum if you get chance,then you get to see non touristy stuff :good:

We do have a sense of humor some foreigners don't get.

Watch some classic British comedy.

Figgy

I don't think people were exaggerating, at least where I'm from you are supposed to keep yourself to yourself. It's not as bad as it may at first seem. If you have to take a bus ride or a train to work, you don't want to hear inane conversations everyday. The only reason people talk loud is because they think everyone wants to hear them. Speak softly and be considerate. This would be hell if it applied everywhere, but you will find most people very welcoming once you are out of public transport or small streets/quiet shops, if you are out of public space or if you are in a more in a more intimate setting, take a pub for example, you will find most people have their corners and will stick to themselves, but if your a smoker you will have no end of conversations with people, or if you are a non-smoker the pool and darts are your friend or just sit at the bar and see what happens.

Just don't hassle random people, chances are they have somewhere to go or they are worrying about something.

Come to Wales! When picking up your hire car at heathrow you turn left not right when you have to pay £6.40 you're in Wales, it has everything you could ever want to see, Churches (mostly leaking and deserted), Castles (ruined and deserted), Beer (from the good to the bad), erm cant think of anything else.

You forgot something. Heres a clue....

It's wooly.

Some of you lot make us Brits sound like a right bunch of miseries...

The best advice you have been given so far is that Great Britain does not begin and end in London, It is a fascinating city but as with most capitals, not in any way representative of the rest of the country. The further away from the tourist traps you stray, the more likely you are to find the 'real' GB. Don't worry about being a tourist, the accent will give it away anyway, and I am sure you will be made very welcome by most people, you will be a bit of a novelty in most proper local pubs and they will look after you as long as you get your round in and accept that taking the mickey is a national sport.

Do give us an idea of the areas you are visiting, I promise you will get some proper advice here as to where to go and where not to go.

Most importantly don't forget that you didn't singlehandedly win the war and you didn't invent the television or the jump jet or the light bulb or the telephone or even the ipod (Kane Kramer from Hitchin, since you asked!) :)

Just cos I am curious, and to give you a chance to get your own back, what advice would Dr Scholl give a Brit asking the same question about a trip to the USA?

American TV seems to stereotype us all as buck toothed, effeminate aristocrats, 70's style skinhead yobs or supervillains living in hollowed out volcanoes.

On my occasional visits to the non touristy parts of the US the locals all seem astonished that we speak such good English and have a working knowledge of electricity.

Just cos I am curious, and to give you a chance to get your own back, what advice would Dr Scholl give a Brit asking the same question about a trip to the USA?

American TV seems to stereotype us all as buck toothed, effeminate aristocrats, 70's style skinhead yobs or supervillains living in hollowed out volcanoes.

On my occasional visits to the non touristy parts of the US the locals all seem astonished that we speak such good English and have a working knowledge of electricity.

As a Scot who spends half my time in the U.S. my advice to you would be don't tell them your English,tell them your Scottish :lol:

Honestly, what a load of bolloxxx most here are telling you. Born and raised in London myself, I work all over London every day, sure you have people that are unfriendly but it's no different to New York or most modern day major citys. Don't look people in the eyes ect what utter ****. There is also beauty and diversity and kindness to be found in London.

As for etiquette just be yourself, you'll find it easy enough to get information and move about.

If you don't want to look like an American tourist (rather than a generic tourist), pretend you are Canadian .... all you have to do is learn to say "aboot" for "about" and lie about where you come from. Principally it will relieve you of having to defend US foreign policy in casual conversation, whether you agree with said policy or not.

Don't speak loudly in public. There are the few chavs here who always shoot their mouths off because they didn't get a decent upbringing, but generally, the British keep their conversations private and don't have a pathalogical need to draw attention to themselves.

And ... in conversation with the locals, remember that in the UK, World War I started in 1914, not 1917 and World War II started in 1939, not 1941.

Even more significantly, it ended with victory in 1946, not defeat in 1945.

Some of you lot make us Brits sound like a right bunch of miseries...

The best advice you have been given so far is that Great Britain does not begin and end in London, It is a fascinating city but as with most capitals, not in any way representative of the rest of the country. The further away from the tourist traps you stray, the more likely you are to find the 'real' GB. Don't worry about being a tourist, the accent will give it away anyway, and I am sure you will be made very welcome by most people, you will be a bit of a novelty in most proper local pubs and they will look after you as long as you get your round in and accept that taking the mickey is a national sport.

Do give us an idea of the areas you are visiting, I promise you will get some proper advice here as to where to go and where not to go.

Most importantly don't forget that you didn't singlehandedly win the war and you didn't invent the television or the jump jet or the light bulb or the telephone or even the ipod (Kane Kramer from Hitchin, since you asked!) :)

I'd like to see London, of course. But i'd also like to get off the beaten path a little bit.

I hear Cornwall, Devon, and Somerset are nice. I'm a bit of a history buff and would like to see Hastings and the Bayoux Tapestry. What are the best pubs and clubs around London?

Most importantly, what are English women like? :D