transfer of firearms & shotguns form

kiffy

i think it`s a case of the CPS deciding is it in the public interest to take things forward.if they go to court over it and loose then all forces would have to accept e-mail as a form of notifacation and they proberly use this as "their paperwork mountain"reason for taking so long to process things.

That isn't the case with this though. That sort of thing occurs where a point of law is at issue or something needs defining, or suchlike.

In the case of notifications the law is quite clear, having been stipulated in the 1997 Act. That says that the recorded delivery service must be used for all notifications. You are correct in that it is highly unlikely that you would be prosecuted but if you are then you would certainly be convicted.

J.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think something has been missed here: Does it not Have to be SIGNED by BOTH Parties? ??? ???...

otherwise all thats gone before is irrelevant surely: ????...

NO!

The seller makes a signed entry on your certificate in Table 2 Shot Guns transferred, the holder of the S.G.C. has already signed page 1 of the Firearms Form 104 as the USUAL SIGNATURE OF HOLDER.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

fwiw- a quote from the faq`s section of my flo.

"Must I notify sales and/or acquisitions?

Firearm legislation requires that all notifications must be sent to the above address in writing, including sales or acquisitions abroad; we do accept faxes and e-mail notifications".

atb J

fwiw- a quote from the faq`s section of my flo.

"Must I notify sales and/or acquisitions?

Firearm legislation requires that all notifications must be sent to the above address in writing, including sales or acquisitions abroad; we do accept faxes and e-mail notifications".

atb J

That may well be the case for Dorset Police , i deal with over 40 Police forces, they all accept different types of notification including Faxes and Emails, like i said before Northants Police have an Online form to fill out, its Brilliant, Fast and efficient

That may well be the case for Dorset Police , i deal with over 40 Police forces, they all accept different types of notification including Faxes and Emails, like i said before Northants Police have an Online form to fill out, its Brilliant, Fast and efficient

Yes, that is the case with Dorset, they do accept email notifications. They email a receipt. Certainly easier and cheaper than recorded delivery.

I do not know about other areas (although it`s easy to check with them), as I deal with Dorset.

J

Are you saying that I am wrong?

J.

I've just found and read this rather entertaining thread and particularly JonathanL's incorrect comments.

Jonathan you really should keep up with the law if you are going to argue with everyone and be so dogmatic.

A short read of the following Act will make the slice of humble pie you are about to consume appear to be well deserved, bearing in mind the way you put down some of those who posted in this topic.

Firearms (electronic communications) Order 2011

Edited by CharlieT

:good:

Jonathan you really should keep up with the law if you are going to argue with everyone and be so dogmatic.

:good:

A short read of the following Act will make the slice of humble pie you are about to consume appear to be well deserved, bearing in mind the way you put down some of those who posted in this topic.

:good: :good: :good:

http://www.legislati...3/contents/made

This Order amends the Firearms Act 1968, the Firearms (Amendment) Act 1988 and the Firearms (Amendment) Act 1997 (“the Firearms Acts”).

The Order enables certain notices which are required to be sent to the chief officer of police under those Acts to be sent by an electronic communication where certain conditions are met.

The Order also enables a chief officer of police, the Secretary of State or Scottish Ministers to send a notice required or authorised by the Firearms Act 1968 using an electronic communication where certain conditions are met. The subject matter of the Firearms Acts is a reserved matter under the Scotland Act 1998, but certain functions under the Firearms Acts, some of which involve the giving of notices, were transferred to Scottish Ministers under the Scotland Act 1998 (Transfer of Functions to the Scottish Ministers etc) Order 1999

Edited by markbivvy

This is what the amendment states;

"Amendments to the Firearms (Amendment) Act 1974.—(1) The Firearms (Amendment) Act 1997(1) is amended as follows.

(2) In section 33 (notification of transfers involving firearms)—

(a)in subsection (3), for “by registered post or the recorded delivery service” substitute “by permitted means”;

(b)after subsection (3) insert—

“(3A) A notice is sent by permitted means for the purposes of subsection (3) if it is sent—

(a)by registered post;

(b)by the recorded delivery service; or

©by permitted electronic means (see section 35A).”.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

I've just found and read this rather entertaining thread and particularly JonathanL's incorrect comments.

I know about that and, yes, it's been mentioned here previously on other threads.

However, if you practice what you preach and read it, you will see that is requires that certain consultations are undertaken before the minister can direct which methods of notification can be adopted. This consultation has not, to my knowledge, been carried out so no direction by the minister can be made, nor has any direction actually been made. If it has then point me to the SI concerned.

The Order merely allows alterations to the way in which notifications are made to be implimented. It is not, of its self, an alteration to those methods. Nothing has actually changed other than the fact that the power has been created to allow other methods of communication to be used but no methods have yet been stipulated.

This being the case, it remains a legal requirement to make these notifications in writing and sent by recorded delivery.

J.

Edited by JonathanL

This is what the amendment states;

"Amendments to the Firearms (Amendment) Act 1974.—(1) The Firearms (Amendment) Act 1997(1) is amended as follows.

(2) In section 33 (notification of transfers involving firearms)—

(a)in subsection (3), for “by registered post or the recorded delivery service” substitute “by permitted means”;

(b)after subsection (3) insert—

“(3A) A notice is sent by permitted means for the purposes of subsection (3) if it is sent—

(a)by registered post;

(b)by the recorded delivery service; or

©by permitted electronic means (see section 35A).”.

This is only one section of it. There are other criteria which must be satisified before 'permitted electronic means' actually beocme 'permitted'. The minister must publish what those means actually are. To date this has not been done, to my knowledge.

J.

So if JL is right that the Order is not yet in force but numerous police forces are publicising this as an acceptable way to notify them, it is very much them that are in the wrong. Seems strange to me that they would misinterpret the law so comprehensively.

As BASC were consulted on this as far back as 2004, perhaps they would care to comment?

JonathanL

Like it or not electronics notifications and commerce are here, legal and to stay.

I can't be bothered to look it up for you but it is now signed off and legal.

M

They are here. They are not legal - yet.

If you aren't prepared to prove it then have the courtesy not to say it. If I'm wrong then I'll happily accept that but please don't keep telling all and sundry that I am if you aren't prepared to back it up.

J.

So if JL is right that the Order is not yet in force but numerous police forces are publicising this as an acceptable way to notify them, it is very much them that are in the wrong. Seems strange to me that they would misinterpret the law so comprehensively.

As BASC were consulted on this as far back as 2004, perhaps they would care to comment?

Lots of forces were saying this well before the 2011 Order.

Like I say, email probably a perfectly good way to notify but it isn't legal and I very much doubt anyone would ever be prosecuted for not using recorded delivery.

J.

Lots of forces were saying this well before the 2011 Order.

Like I say, email probably a perfectly good way to notify but it isn't legal and I very much doubt anyone would ever be prosecuted for not using recorded delivery.

J.

So why is it not legal to notify my local police firearms department, by email, of the transfer of a firearm.

I cannot find any reference to it being not legal.

John

So why is it not legal to notify my local police firearms department, by email, of the transfer of a firearm.

I cannot find any reference to it being not legal.

John

Already been discussed at length on this thread. The relevant legislation has been reproduced. Basically, because the 1997 Act says you must do it by recorded delivery.

J.

Edited by JonathanL

JonathanL

Like it or not electronics notifications and commerce are here, legal and to stay.

I can't be bothered to look it up for you but it is now signed off and legal.

M

Four days since you posted this and still no sign of you having the common courtesy of proving what you say or withdrawing it and accepting that you say isn't true.

J.