22lr barrel length

Elmer Fudd 1

This is a subject that has been debated many a time and personally I still don't know the answer.

Why do rimfires (any rifle) have a longer barrel than you need?

Which expert says you only need 12" or 14 or 16 or whatever, and WHY?

Seems every expert has a different view.

HV and subs, different powders, different burn rates, differing powders in different makes/weight of bullets???

Has anyone actually seen any physics/ballistics on this, or is it always ...I was told by???

I really don't know, and I would be interested in seeing some FACTS rather than expert opinion!

Cheers

However the crown I have on my CZ is nothing like the factory one.

I should add, if anything it is even more accurate now.

Ditto.Mine is 14" and is a fantastic little tool.Was advised about going any lower than 12.5",as in the unlikely event the muzzle/crown is ever damaged in any way,further cutting(shorter than 12")to rectify the problem would render it S5,as has been stated.

If you have a mind to do some research on this (rather than "my mate says") Here's some information that you might find interesting.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22.html

http://closefocusresearch.com/22-long-rifle

http://varmintal.com/a22lr.htm

For what it's worth, I've never seen a .22 benchrest rifle with a short barrel. If there was a single mm of accuracy advantage with a short barrel then they would use it. If a short barrel was only just as good they would use it and use the saved weight elswhere. Another consideration is that some better quality barrel manufacturers produce choked barrels for improved accuracy - Chopping 10 inches off that beautiful old Anni or Finnfire might not give the results that you were hoping for.

thats why in sort of reluctant to chop

ive researched the length vs weight and accuracy thing and it seems as if everyone has done different tests to give different conclusions.

albeit everyone has a valid reason for their conclusion but no body puts it all in one nice tidy and most importantly unbiased summery out there

i would but i don't have the primary sources to perform such a task

fudd

If you have a mind to do some research on this (rather than "my mate says") Here's some information that you might find interesting.

For what it's worth, I've never seen a .22 benchrest rifle with a short barrel. If there was a single mm of accuracy advantage with a short barrel then they would use it. If a short barrel was only just as good they would use it and use the saved weight elswhere. Another consideration is that some better quality barrel manufacturers produce choked barrels for improved accuracy - Chopping 10 inches off that beautiful old Anni or Finnfire might not give the results that you were hoping for.

That's fair enough,but I don't think we're discussing the requirement of bench-rest accuracy here;the OP mentioned 'hunting',and for this my shortened CZ will print a 5 shot pattern which can be covered by a 20p piece at 50 metres.More than good enough for hunting;the rabbits certainly haven't noticed any difference.

Incidently,mate had his Finnfire chopped early last year.His Finnfire and my CZ are now both cracking bits of kit for shooting from the confines of a Landie window.

That's fair enough,but I don't think we're discussing the requirement of bench-rest accuracy here;the OP mentioned 'hunting',and for this my shortened CZ will print a 5 shot pattern which can be covered by a 20p piece at 50 metres.More than good enough for hunting;the rabbits certainly haven't noticed any difference.

Incidently,mate had his Finnfire chopped early last year.His Finnfire and my CZ are now both cracking bits of kit for shooting from the confines of a Landie window.

I know where you're coming from, it's just something to be aware of, it's a one way ticket. It would be a real ****** to cut down an accurate rifle only to find it sprays them all over the place just because it's the latest fashion. I have a "semi-stubby" myself as a long range rabbit sniper. It started life as a Russian .22 target rifle before I took the hacksaw to it.

th_CM2.jpg