Cocker Pedigree

Longy0710

Afternoon All,

Im after some advice please people. I will be looking at taking on a cocker puppy for beating/shooting over later on in the year however having only ever had labradors I am unsure of what names to look for in the pedigree. I have heard of Mallowdale and Nancarrow however I am concerned a dog with too much Red in the pedigree may be too headstrong/hard hunting for me being new to the breed. I am looking for a soft biddable line. Does such a line exist? If so what should I be looking for? I have been offered a pup from a trialing kennel with over 40 FTCH's with names such as Maesydderwen, Cheweky, and Wernffrwd are the main names across the pedigree.

Any advice would be very much appreciated

Longy

I think you need to replace the word biddable in you original post with loopy, mental or mad as a box of frogs.

:yes: :yes: :yes: Mines predominantly maesyderwen and if he's typical then its not for the feint hearted :lol: Seriously hot, very head strong, and a real handful to the point I have to pick when to take him. Brilliant when you have two guns going on a 100+ pigeon day, or beating all day. Anything else and he is boiling over. Certainly not a quiet day in the hide :lol: Be very careful over your selection :good: Lookt at the Larford lines, some good types there, with a lot less coat too.

:yes: :yes: :yes: Mines predominantly maesyderwen and if he's typical then its not for the feint hearted :lol: Seriously hot, very head strong, and a real handful to the point I have to pick when to take him. Brilliant when you have two guns going on a 100+ pigeon day, or beating all day. Anything else and he is boiling over. Certainly not a quiet day in the hide :lol: Be very careful over your selection :good: Lookt at the Larford lines, some good types there, with a lot less coat too.

So is mine...bloody frustrating at times but very rewarding on the odd occasions he does what I ask lol! Much more intensive training will recommence as soon as the evenings get longer.

Thank you for this post extremely helpful. I hadnt dismissed the pup with all the FTCH in as I was asking in this post regarding the very subject.

Longy

No problem with dogs with FTCH pedigrees .Iv'e always bought them with as much FTCH or FTW as possible. If you take your time training them proper and not taking them on game to soon no prob. These top trial pups do take some getting used to,but rather them than these that don't go. You have got to get them 100% on stop whistle before you get them on game.

As to breeding of cockers i think iv'e had most of them Mallowdale,Chyknell,Larford,Wernffrwd, Maesydderwen and many others. Got a bitch pup here now 5 months old out of FTCH Maesydderwen Spartan. Dam by both parent FTCH. Just started on her training last few days a flying machine,small bitch but so easy to train stopping very well on whistle,turning also coming on well.Not started on her retrieving yet another month or so.

My advice buy a good one and get it on the whistle They are all mad if not trained FTCH or not. ATVB Terry

No problem with dogs with FTCH pedigrees .Iv'e always bought them with as much FTCH or FTW as possible. If you take your time training them proper and not taking them on game to soon no prob. These top trial pups do take some getting used to,but rather them than these that don't go. You have got to get them 100% on stop whistle before you get them on game.

As to breeding of cockers i think iv'e had most of them Mallowdale,Chyknell,Larford,Wernffrwd, Maesydderwen and many others. Got a bitch pup here now 5 months old out of FTCH Maesydderwen Spartan. Dam by both parent FTCH. Just started on her training last few days a flying machine,small bitch but so easy to train stopping very well on whistle,turning also coming on well.Not started on her retrieving yet another month or so.

My advice buy a good one and get it on the whistle They are all mad if not trained FTCH or not. ATVB Terry

Exactly what i was after Eccles thanks mate.

Terry's advice is bang on. They are what you make of them.

Mine has 40 odd reds in the pedigree, she is as quiet as a mouse in the house with the kids.... And like lightening as soon as I pop my boots on and take her out. She will sit in a pigeon hide for hours on end or run flat out beating all day. It's all in the training.

Good luck!

I have 2 cockers, both from Timsgarry lines.The 4 year old is a big (18kg) strong dog who will work all day and retrieve over land or water and pick up after a drive,Great for sending on to a lake to get the ducks up. His only fault is that he sometimes goes out to far from me when quartering- my fault as I let him do this over a period of time - but he always comes back on the whistle.My 10 month old dog has proven a bit easier to train as he watches me all the time.He quarters well and stops on the whistle at distance.Retrieving on dummies just started.Happy with both dogs - most faults are down to me - cannot blame the dogs.After 30 plus years of having Springers I am more than happy to have cockers working with me.Full of character and very happy dogs.You just have to keep on top of them.

Terry's advice is bang on. They are what you make of them.

Mine has 40 odd reds in the pedigree, she is as quiet as a mouse in the house with the kids.... And like lightening as soon as I pop my boots on and take her out. She will sit in a pigeon hide for hours on end or run flat out beating all day. It's all in the training.

Good luck!

Mines the same :good: also in pup due march 5 if ur interested? My bitch is masterderwen line 40 ftch in the line but really easy to train very biddable. My mate has a cweeky bovril sired dog and its useless but maybe it's the master?

I'd be more interested in the bitch line when looking at a litter anyway. A FTCh over a **** poor bitch won't do you any favours. I'd rather have a pup out of a bitch from proven working/trialling lines to a dog that will match her strengths/minimise any faults she might have - all in theory of course - but not necessarily FTCh. Like others have said a dog a bit on the hot side is surely better than one you can't get going at all so don't worry about how much red is there. FTCh or not you're getting a cocker.....they aren't called satan's disciples for nothing :lol::whistling: