Unusual Gundogs Shih Tzu

The Ghost

I know I am going to get loads of stick for this.

I have had various gundogs over the years and would like another, having two dogs at the moment a Yorky & a Shih Tzu is not helping me convince the wife that three dogs is a good thing. So the question is "what is the most Unusual gundog you have ever seen" I think I could train the Shih Tzu to be a Pigeon dog.

20111011Zoey012.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is so clever, it will find anything I hide for it and loves water even in the winter it will dive in.

I just hope someone will say they have a Poodle that brings back birds, to motivate me to train it (sorry Sophie not...IT)

She is the wifes dog and she, as well as PW will be stunned to see the dog in action......and I think she could do it.

its quite a cool novelty to have such a dog in the field. The dog of course only knows its a dog but to train one you are having to forge ahead without any breeding whatsoever. Seen a Yorkie that tracked deer, quite good actually and very portable. however good a trainer you are you are always going to be limited in what you can achieve by those genetics

It is so clever, it will find anything I hide for it and loves water even in the winter it will dive in.

I just hope someone will say they have a Poodle that brings back birds, to motivate me to train it (sorry Sophie not...IT)

She is the wifes dog and she, as well as PW will be stunned to see the dog in action......and I think she could do it.

I know someone with a standard poodle that is a cracking beating/wildfowling dog. He always wanted something different and ended up buying one from working lines in France. The Poodle was originally a Gun dog breed anyway, used for mainly water work. Good luck with your training, but i fear the make up of the dog will be against you all the way.

its quite a cool novelty to have such a dog in the field. The dog of course only knows its a dog but to train one you are having to forge ahead without any breeding whatsoever. Seen a Yorkie that tracked deer, quite good actually and very portable. however good a trainer you are you are always going to be limited in what you can achieve by those genetics

Poodle were origionally bred as hunting dogs though so probablynot as alien to them as a ****zu. All the best with the idea though. Give it a go worst that can happen is nothing.

I have started training today with Sophie, I found a toy Duck soft toy and it will fetch no problem......will change this for dead bird later.

I have hid the Duck and she is very good at finding it, I will give it a few days and put a video on here.....The wife thinks I am mad but I am happy with the training.

If they can turn a Labrador Guide Dog into a Gundog anything is possible, thats what I think Fenny.

I am taking her for a walk tomorrow and will video results, she is about the size of a small Spaniel, sure she is cute Fenboy but she learns quickly.

Edited by The Ghost

Very true , I could see where she will be useful though , sending down warrens to bolt rabbits for instance , that way you would not have the expense of keeping ferrets as well as dogs.

I have a little Yorky...very small, She would be ideal for Rabbits.

This is an old video of my dogs, I don't think the Bulldog would be any good.

Did you notice how much they were, handy bit of kit for hide work I was thinking.
Call back tomorrow and we will see who laughing then, I am serious....just you wait and see.
The wife has said, "If you take that dog out shooting...i'll ******* kill you.
So all this has to be on the QT.

A bit steep that £300 notes, I thought it would be half that.

I have been outside tonight to see what she is like working in the dark...spot on.

She has a very good nose on her and could find any lost bird...I would think.

She found the Fluffy Duck everytime I hid it....what do you think of that!

Thats the sort of Duck I got for it today, only not as posh as that one mine was from The Factory Shop £3.00 on offer.

I needed a Pigeon size bird and that was the only thing I could find, The whole idea of this training is to show the wife that I can train a gundog.

If I could train her dog to bring back dead birds.....then anything is possible.....thanks for your support Lads.

I have stopped training for the night, the Duck is on the shed roof. The Shih Tzu keeps barking at it...as she wants it back......I told the wife "it must be a cat it's barking at"

This video was taken tonight of the Shih Tzu in the garden, she works better during the day...and I had to wake her up to do this.

I told the wife to have a lie-in tomorrow and I would take the dog out so will take the camera for better video then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQmDTvTSiG4&list=UUCepBy3gVYeKyt0vyMtOLCg&index=1

Edited by The Ghost