Ferreting sunday

Gadge-it

Farmers been out cutting all the hedgerows last week so it was impossable to net,so we bolted using the ferrets & shot from 12pm till 2:30pm,8 rabbits,However something strange happened at one of the sets.I put the jill in a hole but she hesitated,gave her a little push, with in about 10 seconds we herd a yelp which i think was her.She came out with her hackles up which i've never seen before.But there was a very strong odour which none of us had smelt before, also she seemed to want to clear her nostrils.

We came to the conclusion that she was possably confronted with a stoat/weasal, and either her or the whatever had let their scent glands go in defence.There certainly was no indication of a fight.Was wondering if any of you ferring lads or lasses had came across this?

Edited by Davyo

We were out Saturday mate 7.30-4.30 bolting to the guns ended up with 30 all good sized rabbits ferrets were reluctant to go down some holes so we moved on then a rabbit come from behind us with a weasel hard up behind it so prob the same thing you found I would presume

Farmers been out cutting all the hedgerows last week so it was impossable to net,so we bolted using the ferrets & shot from 12pm till 2:30pm,8 rabbits,However something strange happened at one of the sets.I put the jill in a hole but she hesitated,gave her a little push, with in about 10 seconds we herd a yelp which i think was her.She came out with her hackles up which i've never seen before.But there was a very strong odour which none of us had smelt before, also she seemed to want to clear her nostrils.

We came to the conclusion that she was possably confronted with a stoat/weasal, and either her or the whatever had let their scent glands go in defence.There certainly was no indication of a fight.Was wondering if any of you ferring lads or lasses had came across this?

yeah mate happened to me once,put the jill down,she went in then came flying back out,tail was like a bottle brush,she was very agitated,she went back to the mouth of the hole,just peering in then came away,she had let her glands go aswell,she was soaked in what i think was her pee aswell,wouldnt go back in though,very strange........DAZ

Iv had this before, luckily it was my big dog (net trasher) he came out attached to as stoat,he had a nasty bite to his neck but both over it, bloody glad I had as glove on when I reached into other hole to grab him,

Took three shifts off my work to get a weeks ferreting , hit 30 ,16 and 6s just what i can remember different farms local produced lots of different amount's even just doing different sides of the farm road on different days one side was 16 the other 6. The day we got the 6 the lurcher walked past a few burrows then half heartily marked one two nets down ferret in a weasel bolted dog snapped him up . thats why i thought the rabbits where scares ,further on there was loads of dead rabbits lying about turns out myxi had beat me . still averaged ten a day for the week and filled the freezer so wasn't a bad week

Stoat - I've had this happen a couple of times over the years.