Maxus or SX3

barrold

Right, I have the maxus duck blind and the brother has the sx3,(the grey/silver barrel). Both very good guns. I still pick his up occasionally and think,"I could have just bought this and saved 100 odd quid". BUT, the speed loading/unloading on the maxus wins me over. I can reload it very quickly. And to clarify, the browning doesn't do this. Nor can you lock the mag.

Ps..both our guns are cartridge fussy. It's the case length that is the issue and not the shot weight inside it.

Basically they are the same other than the mag cut- off the things function equally. Take down is not an issue with either. The maxus comes up shorter though measures the same with a tape. Try the fit and feel of both, the cast might need a different shim but see how they both feel. The cammo has the rustproof coating under the cammo just like the silver and black one, all cammo wraps wear especially were dried marsh mud and gunslips are conserned. My Sx3 is 4 yrs old now? It sees action at least once a week through the season with fox and vermin in between. I look after it and you have to look close to find the wear spots in the finish. Mechanically its fine but I shouldn't mess with too many really light clay loads if a mis- feed the odd time bothers you, no point really as being a gas op they don't beat you up in the slightest so just shoot 2 3/4 28 grm and be done with it IMO- embarrassing having a cammo gun on a clay ground anyhow, I have had a few extra long 3 1/2" remmingtons fail to clear the port but they are over long compared to gamebore hulls

Basically they are the same other than the mag cut- off the things function equally. Take down is not an issue with either. The maxus comes up shorter though measures the same with a tape. Try the fit and feel of both, the cast might need a different shim but see how they both feel. The cammo has the rustproof coating under the cammo just like the silver and black one, all cammo wraps wear especially were dried marsh mud and gunslips are conserned. My Sx3 is 4 yrs old now? It sees action at least once a week through the season with fox and vermin in between. I look after it and you have to look close to find the wear spots in the finish. Mechanically its fine but I shouldn't mess with too many really light clay loads if a mis- feed the odd time bothers you, no point really as being a gas op they don't beat you up in the slightest so just shoot 2 3/4 28 grm and be done with it IMO- embarrassing having a cammo gun on a clay ground anyhow, I have had a few extra long 3 1/2" remmingtons fail to clear the port but they are over long compared to gamebore hulls

As Kent rightly says....They are basically the same gun apart from those minor differences. Browning/Winchester and Miroku are all the same company. The SX3 and Maxus are made in exactly the same factory. I bought an SX3 over the Maxus simply because of the lower cost. I would have no hesitation in recommending one. After using one of the new Browning A5`s last sunday I must say my 1st impressions are excellent. Its quite light and the speed loading was superb. Being inertia and not gas the kick was slighly more than my SX3 but nothing to worry about. I found the handling and pointability was spot on for me personally so I`m pretty tempted to make this my next purchase!!!!. Being inertia I think that Browning might well have a semi to compete with the likes of Benelli. Again, this is personal....I prefer the Browning over Benelli [which I`ve used] because the A5 fits me far better [benellis tend to have shorter stocks] and I just like the feel of the A5.

Edited by Yoggy

Sx3 is a great gun, especially for the marsh, the coating really is 'ultra-tough'. It cycles well and Is easy to take down. It's quite light but I dont think the recoil is too much. You won't be disappointed if you get one. When I was looking for a marsh gun it was between the sx3 and the duckblind maxus, but to be honest I think what won me over for the sx3 was the price difference and the coating on it.

As far as features are concerned, no the sx3 doesn't have a cut-off or the 'speed load' but it does have the speed un load were you simply lift up the feed ramp and depress a button in side the receiver to release each cartridge out of the magazine, then eject the one out of the chamber. If you need to change loads from

A duck to goose cartridge all you do ( admittedly the cut off would come in handy) is lift the feed ramp, pull and manually hold the bolt to the rear ejecting the cartridge Place new cartridge in breech and release the bolt.

Like I said before I dont think you'd be up set with either and in all honesty probably comes down to personal preference. Hope it goes well and you get the one you want:)

ATB, Dave.

Edited by WinchesterDave

Wildfowler.250, Kent, yoggy and Dave. Cheers for your input gents, much appreciated. In all honesty i think i had already decided on the SX3 , price being the overall deciding factor i just wondered if anyone had, had any major issues to put me off but all sounds good. This guns main job will be wildfowling so i'm not bothered how good it looks at a clay ground and when it is used there it will only be too get my eye in so i ain't fussy about small loads. Cheers everyone for the help, hopefully come May i will have an SX3 sat in the cabinet waiting for the season to commence

Wildfowler.250, Kent, yoggy and Dave. Cheers for your input gents, much appreciated. In all honesty i think i had already decided on the SX3 , price being the overall deciding factor i just wondered if anyone had, had any major issues to put me off but all sounds good. This guns main job will be wildfowling so i'm not bothered how good it looks at a clay ground and when it is used there it will only be too get my eye in so i ain't fussy about small loads. Cheers everyone for the help, hopefully come May i will have an SX3 sat in the cabinet waiting for the season to commence

Pleased to help, hope you enjoy your new gun it won't let you down.

Dave :)

I've got a SX3 black shadow same duracoat finish as the grey just the colour differs.

Never had any rust on it,used all season on the marsh and its had a good soaking most times and one of me falling over pushing it into the mud when coming off.

The maxus in anything but cammo is a standard blacked finish not great with salt.

Figgy