Solicitor v Lawyer

unapalomablanca

Could anyone clear this up? When i was young everyone referred to somone in the legal profession as a solicitor. Nowadays you dont hear the term much. All you hear now is the term lawyer.

I liked the old term, sounds better. sounds british and old. I fear 'lawyer' is an americanism, i wish people wouldnt succumb to their vocab.

It will always be solicitor to me. Sorry if you think its a poxy post, but losing little things like this to something that isnt superior or better is wrong.

una.

I'm a solicitor with higher rights which makes me a Solicitor Advocate. If I could be bothered or was in the least bit interested I could use the official title..

'Solicitor Advocate ( Higher Courts Criminal )'

Who comes up with these titles?

Solicitors usually only have rights of audience in the lower courts but barristers can appear in all courts. Solicitor Advocates have the same rights of audience as barristers.

Here's a link with an answer to your question.

http://pinktape.co.uk/uncategorized/whats-the-difference-between-a-barrister-and-a-solicitor/

I'm a solicitor with higher rights which makes me a Solicitor Advocate. If I could be bothered or was in the least bit interested I could use the official title..

'Solicitor Advocate ( Higher Courts Criminal )'

Who comes up with these titles?

Solicitors usually only have rights of audience in the lower courts but barristers can appear in all courts. Solicitor Advocates have the same rights of audience as barristers.

Here's a link with an answer to your question.

http://pinktape.co.u...nd-a-solicitor/

thanks. its nice to get an answer from someone who is actually qualified. :good:

This forum sounds more like 50 shades of Grey every day!

My Mrs is a Chartered Accountant and most friends are either solicitors or Lion Tamers ( Accountants- it's a long story).

I recently mentioned that Accountants and lawyers are like prostitutes:-

No matter what happens to the economy, you always need them.

The good ones cost a lot.

You will get screwed.

You don't know what you will walk away with.

I now live in the shed and my B*ll**ks are getting a bit better. :lol: