early or late?

GunFire

Tomorrow I'm going out to a new permission. It's 40 acres of rape. The birds are feeding in large flocks but tend to move away once disturbed. Obviously I can't be in more than one place at a time so I find that I'm best sitting under a flightline into the field.

I have a young family and work commitments so often can't spend the whole day watching the flightlines and behavior of the birds.

My question is, if you could only go shooting for half of the day. Would you go early, first light? Or late as they head back to roost?

I'm new to pigeon shooting. This is my first permission and I have only got the very basic gear. 12 full body decoys, some dark clothing, a 12g shotgun and some carts. I've learnt a lot off you guys already but hope u can assist ne further? Cheers

My pigeon permission is devoid of pigeon before 12PM, as soon as it is the afternoon they pour in from over the road. Strange as I have been out many a time in the morning/first light and just despaired at seeing huge flocks pour out of the wood and head over to neighbouring farms.

Good luck

every days different at the moment if its really cold get there early shoot the first feed after a hour or so it useally goes quite odd straggerler then around dinner picks up again this is most days ,but had a mild day few weeks back the pigeons decoyed like summer time plenty of tea spilt,,,,,,

there really isnt one area that shoots the same

Thanks for the input. Guess I need to do a bit more reconnaissance, see what they're up to. I should have said in the original post that there are no woods on the permission. There are however a number of large trees that the pigeons like to land in before they drop down to feed.

There's a couple of good areas to hide in the field but I think I'm going to invest in some cammo netting. Is the stealth ghost stuff good for 25 quid or should I try to find some cheapo secondhand stuff?

There is lots of info on here with regard to decoys, hides etc but for best results you need some movement in the decoys, either a flapper or magnet, a couple of floaters, you can even try a couple of lofters up in the trees , works well with crows as well, get wind direction right, I like it from behind me so the pigeons turn into wind to land so come straight at you, get a good backdrop to your hide, a thick hedge or bushes so the pigeons dont see movement in the hide, and cover face and hands , they will see white skin and turn away before they get in range, finally make sure the 'kill' area is large enough and kept clear of dead birds. if your shooting ability is poor get to a clay range and practice before shooting live game, try to achieve a clean kill as often as possible, have a look on youtube - pigeon shooting, lots of good video with a mass of good information. best of luck. :good:

Most of my best days at this time of year have come from a first light start. This won't always work but it is worth a try. In my view it's a better gamble than putting off feeding birds and hoping they return.

If set up in the right place, you should get some action early on, though it may not last.

Well, missed the first feed this morning. Didn't get to the field til 9am. Sat there for 3 hours but not one bird landed on the rape. A few birds skirted the edge of the field but no large flocks that I have seen there before. Just one of those days I suppose. I spoke to the farmer and he had fertilized the field the day before, don't know if this might have had anything to do with the lack of birds in the area? I'll keep trying anyway!

Well, missed the first feed this morning. Didn't get to the field til 9am. Sat there for 3 hours but not one bird landed on the rape. A few birds skirted the edge of the field but no large flocks that I have seen there before. Just one of those days I suppose. I spoke to the farmer and he had fertilized the field the day before, don't know if this might have had anything to do with the lack of birds in the area? I'll keep trying anyway!

Maybe the pigeons have moved on to some fresh drillings for now.

Make sure to check the field a few times prior to shooting. If you don't, you will have no idea if birds are still feeding there.