Shooting frames.

Dannyboy220

Looks like a tank! I can see what you mean, I think (and hope) that he likes to have a buddy on the back lamping with a driver. Seems to go out with a couple of blokes. He's a customer of mine and as soon as the fields dry up i'm promised an outing. He has a guy nearby who fabricates metal stuff? He will get him to build it if he can't find anyone but was looking for something a bit more professional as its his new toy. That's why I thought I would ask on here.

FWIW, I've been building these things for our African hunting trucks for decades and there's a lot to getting it right...... not least amongst them the right material to use. If you do it right, you can save an awful lot of work, weight and fuel etc and also FWIW, I devote an entire chapter of my book (How To Become A Professional Hunter In Africa) to this very subject.

If you can PM me with an email address, I'll be happy to try to email the chapter and pics but I'm not sure if my server will be able to handle it....... I'll give it a try but if it won't go, he'll have to buy the book to get the info I'm afraid.

The good news is, he'd recoup the cost of the book in the first year on saved fuel costs. LOL!

Here's an example of a 'full monty' that was built by a mate of mine:

hunting-vehicle_zps57e03f65.jpg

Edited by shakari

FWIW, I've been building these things for our African hunting trucks for decades and there's a lot to getting it right...... not least amongst them the right material to use. If you do it right, you can save an awful lot of work, weight and fuel etc and also FWIW, I devote an entire chapter of my book (How To Become A Professional Hunter In Africa) to this very subject.

If you can PM me with an email address, I'll be happy to try to email the chapter and pics but I'm not sure if my server will be able to handle it....... I'll give it a try but if it won't go, he'll have to buy the book to get the info I'm afraid.

The good news is, he'd recoup the cost of the book in the first year on saved fuel costs. LOL!

Here's an example of a 'full monty' that was built by a mate of mine:

hunting-vehicle_zps57e03f65.jpg

It looks good mate, but I don't think either he or I are looking to build are own! He needs a guy that can do it either locally or with the vehicle specification I presume they can be made anywhere and couriered. Surely someone on here has had one made??

The way to do is get pics/description of what he wants & take it to a small, local engineering company that's willing to do a one off.

The keys are to use exhaust tubing where it's non load bearing & heavier tube where it is load bearing & get the rake & back padding of the seat right cos if wrong, it'll kill your back.

Another option is to use a car rear seat that can be folded forward when not in use. The Range Rover one is good if you can make it fit widthwise.

Forget ordering one & having it couriered...... that'd cost a fortune.

Edited by shakari

I was born & raised in Kent. Ran my African hunting business for 32 years where I'd be in Africa for long periods but kept a home in the UK, lived in South Africa for 12 years & re-emigrated to Portugal about 18 months ago to retire.

I'm guiding my very last 3 hunts this year & will then (hopefully) be retired from the field..... We also have & will continue to keep the largest (+/-800 pages) & most comprehensive free info & book sale site on African hunting at www.shakariconnection.com. :)

After that I'll be hunting shooting & fishing for myself & with friends simply for pleasure here in Portugal (mostly) & won't have to worry about clients etc. YIPPEE!!!!!!!! :)

I'll also continue to advise (FOC) about the good & bad companies in Africa etc as I've always done.

Edited by shakari

Barney

That looks good mate...... I like the idea of being able to remove it easily and it obviously doesn't need to be as rugged as one on an African hunting truck........ but I've gotta ask, don't those hand/screw adjusters vibrate loose?

Thanks,not sure yet not got out in the field with it yet,if they do no problem I'll just shorten them enough to tighten onto a spring washer,when I get it out I'll do some better pics and post it in the diy section,

barney