varmint or standard barrel

shoot57

varmint everytime.

its heavy, steady and at long range your heart beat wont knock you off target each time it beats.(this can happen with lighter guns)

i would say that i will never buy a gun with a standard barrel for this reason.

also if possible go stainless steel as you wont shoot it out as fast as a standard blued steel barrel

I think this very much depends on your type of shooting. If you are firing a large number of bullets at a 'sitting' then accuracy is greater with a heavy 'bull' or varmint barrel.

For 'normal hunting' a standard barrel is quite good enough as the barrel has time to cool between shots. I have a varmint barrelled .223 which I use for fox not target and its much too heavy for a practical fox rifle - but accurate and was cheaper !

Neither is more accurate - one is more suited to shedding heat though whereas the other is easier to carry around.

You don't see many Scout sniper rifles used by the forces with varmint barrels

I could see a possible slight difference in movement but if you are holding it correctly it shouldn't really make any difference.

Regards,

Gixer

Neither is more accurate - one is more suited to shedding heat though whereas the other is easier to carry around.

You don't see many Scout sniper rifles used by the forces with varmint barrels

I could see a possible slight difference in movement but if you are holding it correctly it shouldn't really make any difference.

Regards,

Gixer

Actually the US marines use a douglas Taper on their barrels IE its like a piece of bar stock Douglas obviously didn't like tapers. The AI aint exactly a featherweight tube either.

The advantage in a heavier barrel besides heat up is stiffness, All really accurate rifles have stiff actions, good bedding and yes heavy barrels. what you cannot always do is 1. use that extra margin in the field 2. carry an over heavy gun or shoot it well from all stances. Hence sporters exist and are a very fine choice, does a deer rifle need to shoot 1/4 moa at 600 yds? not really! Can a sporter shoot better than a heavy gun in the field? it sure can when you have just lugged the thing up a big hill and are faced with a quick off hand opertunity!

The advantage in a heavier barrel besides heat up is stiffness, All really accurate rifles have stiff actions, good bedding and yes heavy barrels. what you cannot always do is 1. use that extra margin in the field 2. carry an over heavy gun or shoot it well from all stances. Hence sporters exist and are a very fine choice, does a deer rifle need to shoot 1/4 moa at 600 yds? not really! Can a sporter shoot better than a heavy gun in the field? it sure can when you have just lugged the thing up a big hill and are faced with a quick off hand opertunity!

kent seems to have summed it up pretty well if you ask me.