Bucket feeders... any suggestions?

Right well my new buckets have arrived today... they are 25kg blue buckets. They are a good thickness and have nice sealing lids. I have 30 of them for my new shoot but cant decide on how to turn them into feeders. I have decided i am going to use springs so will be drilling the required holes in the bottom but i'm not keen on just hanging them from trees as i think they will just sway around in the wind. I contemplated building 3 legs for each one but this would be a lot of work and also deer would knock them over and then thought about banging in 5ft stakes and hanging the buckets by their handles to a screw hook in the post and then maybe screwing the buckets from the inside to the post?

I know that these types of buckets aren't ideal and as good as the bigger barrels but i couldn't get these for my budget so the buckets will do.

Any other suggestions on how best to convert these into feeders?

post-26273-0-14025700-1362504370_thumb.jpg

Edited by wannabe_keeper

what i would do is use 1.5inch square tree support stakes (v cheap) bang 3 in the ground so that the bucket sits in them like legs but the rim of the bucket rests on the top of the stakes and wire around them to hold them in that way its solid but also easy to remove for summer or cleaning. OR hang them from a tree but wire the bucket to the tree to stop it blowing about

I've decided against springs now as don't want to be feeding the vast badger and deer population. And I'd be spending a fortune on 30 springs and 30 deer guards or spikes. Has anyone had any experience with these:

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=330397641675

They don't look too bad. I can't justify paying upwards of £6 each for the wright feeder nozzles and the pan and window type ones are also fairly pricey but these seem reasonable just not sure I they have been tried and tested?

A good way to stop deer and badger cleaning you out, 4 pallets (on edge)made into a square around the feeder, cut a hole out in the bottom of each pallet big enough for a pheasant to get through. They soon get used to to going in and out. Give it go, it works fine for me anyway.

Tried thoose feeder things and thought they were useless, was to stop deer but they just butted the hopper and it would run out of the bottom., there still 3 quid, u'd get a spring and deer spike for that?

A neighbouring shoot to us is going back to only holes instead of springs, saves them clogging and stops other things eating it.

Shame you cannot get them in a nice dull green colour.

I have tried all sorts of feeders but badgers will wreck most things, squirrels are worst if the hopper runs empty. I have tried pig netting surrounds against deer and badgers, they wreck them eventually, as do wooly maggots which do get in the woods.

Its a perennial problem. best leg system I have seen is a metal triangle with angled legs and uprights to stop deer knocking them over. Best I had were metal barrels painted NATO green with wooden 2x2 legs and spirals or pans. Pans seemed less badger and crop prone.

But are the spikes really any good as have heard mixed reviews. I will probably use a mixture of hanging from trees where suitable or posts. Thanks for the suggestions. Will just have to think which nozzle design to use. Probably still leaning more towards to badger proof ones after reading this:

http://www.solwayfeeders.com/blog/post/2011/10/03/Feeder-Nozzle-Review

Seem to be the best vermin proof, least wastage and cheapest.

A fair number of shoots around here don't bother with springs or anything myself included just drill about a dozen or so 12mm holes in the in the centre of the bottom of the bucket they work a treat just don't let them stand empty the poxy squirrels will chew holes in them trying to get at the few bits of grain left that won't come out the holes.