pointed pellets?

fulltimeshooter

I tend to steer clear of pointed pellets because they lose accuracy at longer ranges. Try a sharper round head, like Bisley magnum or Crossman Powapells. Magnums are good for .177 pre charged guns, but are a bit heavy for springers or sub 12ft/lbs .22s. I use them in my .177 S200, and I don't miss or suffer with wounded quarry much at all :lol:

Pointed pellets for pigeon/magpies not having much success with domed wondering if pointed is the way forwards?! thank in advance FTS. :good::no::/:lol:

FTS are you thinking that the pointed pellets might penatrate through the feathers easier tha the domed ones? Im sure I have heard that said before.

I used to swear by rws super points. untill I tried accu pell pellets last week. they are far more accurate than the super points (in my AAS410 anyway) I noticed that the superpoints were distorting easily on the skirt of the pellet and the accu pells have a good solid skirt around the dase of the pellet.

I then tried some ELEY WASPS (domed heads) they was worse than ever. did not group well at all.

but I noticed that the super points and the accupells are .22cal 5.5mm and the eley wasps are .22cal 5.6mm :lol::lol: is this normal?

kipper ???

I use Powapels and find they work well, I get good groupings with them too (within about half an inch at 30 yards) so I can recommend them. In terms of penetration yes they can penetrate a little more, but you will still need to hit the appropriate kill zone, theyre not armour piercing rounds lol. Woodpigeons are very tough so stick to the neck/head shots and magpies should go down pretty easily.

Also yes, there are 5.5 and 5.6mm pellets...I think the German barrels tend to take the smaller size and British barrels take the larger size (Ive forgotten exactly, its usually printed on your gun or manual :lol: ), Stick to the size that matches your barrel (it will be one of these sizes) to prevent fouling and get a proper fit.

-Andrew

Years ago I was sighting in my scope firing some Eley pointed pellets at a target on a large piece of plywood. I couldn't get any sort of grouping so I went down to inspect the target closer only to find that the pellets had even been hitting the side on - they had obviously been tumbling through air en-route to the target! I took them straight back to the shop and got the swapped for Eley Wasps (domed) - been getting decent groups ever since through my Weihrauch.

What pellets would people recomend for a Webbly Raider II PCP? I am currently using Air Arms Diablo Hunters in .22

Justme

Its been said a lot I know but the best thing is to try as many different types as you can and see what works best for you. A lot of places do a "sample" pack with a few of a load of different kinds for you to have a go with - can't recommend that enough.

Barrels ARE different depending on where they are made or perhaps on how they are finished 5.5 and 5.6 you will find the likes of some of the weirach springers prefer the 5.6 as the 5.5 tend to just drop in and don't seat well i found the HW 80 didn't like the 5.5s as they fell into the seat :yp:

Also the Early Stealth barrels were oversized also and the standard 5.5 litterally fell half way down the barrel :lol:

having said that the 5.6 didn't make THAT much difference in the Stealth barrel. I beleive they were barrels for .22rf as a .22rf head would seat well but obv the 12FPE wasn't enough to expell the head :D

I don't think it's for WORN barrels as it would take a LONG time to waer a steel barrel using lead projectiles :angry:

I know people with air rifles from the 50s still going and no apparent signs of wear other than piston seals etc.

Someone mentioned the H&N Field target trophy pellets. I will vouvh for those i have used them in ALL my air rifles and they perform exceptionally well with good hard hitting accuracy.

I used them in

Stealth .22

Shadow .22

Airsporter .22

QB78 .22

Career 707 .22

Webley Raider .177

Falcon .177

and a few others i forget

Also another hard hitting .177 HAS to be the Bisley Magnum. Again a good heavy hitter and accurate too. 10.6gr at around 700FPS in .177 takes rabbits AND corvids out to 35 yards no trouble at all.

On a calm day i would not hesitate to drop a rabbit at closer to 40+

As for Eley wasps i used to use them in the 80s. Back then they did the job and weren't a bad pellet. I hear they were bought out and sold the (old dies) but kept the good ones and thats where the problem lies with the Eleys of today. (so i am told)

I used to use the Super H points on Carrion 20 to 30 yards out on a good day

But as said the 2 ones i use now are H&N FTT and Bisley Magnums :good:

LG

Well whent out today with the pointed pellets once again on the targets tried them out properly....

My results were this:-

.good penetration

.started to be good accuracy but as i shot a few more i saw that the groupings were iratic

.a few richys

.overall as plinker says probly just a gimmic

I TESTED THEM SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO! :ernyha::drinks::stupid:;)

hunting pellets......

DOMED.................ive taken birds and rabits out at distance with DOMED..........

Pointed pellets are for people that think pointed pellets are better than domed......usualy people who first go into a shop, buy a biakal or a gamo air gun and then go for pointed pellets because they think they are more "hunter" like.

As for them penetrating feathers better.......................****................

head shots. feather an fur............

DOMED. DOMED. DOMED.

So if the pellets I,m using are not pointed (they looked pointed ish to me) which ones are? Just want to make sure I get / use the best /most suitable pellets I can. As I too will be taking mostly head shots I dont think penetration will be the issue but acuracy will be.

Justme

The pointed pellets with a quite solid and rounded kind of point are ok for accuracy. If you look at a true pointed pellet that is almost sharp, it is very fine on the end. If the tip of the point gets bent or damaged, even slightly, then when it spins in the rifling it is off balance and will not fly straight. Domed pellets don't suffer this problem. If you are taking head shots, then any pellet should do the job. If anything, points will go right through without transfering all of their impact energy to the quarry. With the almost pathetic power levels of non fac guns, you need to transfer as much impact as possible to get a clean kill! This means using an accurate domed pellet, placed at exactly the right spot on the target as to cause maximum damage of a vital organ (almost always the brain). Just give up on the points for now, they're not worth the time you spend thinking about them!

Just give up on the points for now, they're not worth the time you spend thinking about them!

I,ve not been looking at points. All of them are the semi pointed / rounded ones that people have been saying are good. Thats what confused me cos I,ve not seen any that are realy pointed (apart from .177 darts which do have **** trajectory). Thought people were on about the rounded pointy ones that other were saying were the best.

Mystery solved.

Justme

Full Time Shooter, don't always take information given as being correct.

Even my snippet of information could be classed as being rubbish so take it as being for information

purposes only.

I now use nothing but Air Arms Hunter pellets. These are not pointed, not domed either so therefore

classed as semi-pointed, (as I was informed). Info gleaned off the forums claim that pointed pellets

are not ballistically stable, maybe true, I myself have never used them. Domes are very stable, therefore

many people tend to stick with them.

Our club tends to get batches of AA Hunters more than any other (.22 versions). Hence why I use them.

Regardless of what people say about them, these pellets are stable from 5 to 80 Yards, I have used them

for hunting and for HFT shooting. Hunting out to 55 Yards max, HFT to 45 Yards and 80 Yards (40mm disk)

pigeon targets.

The AA Hunter pellets were weighed before use, separated into 6 different weights from 15.6 Grains to 16.1 Grains, the majority being 15.8 , 15.9 and 16 Grains. The other "few" were put in the plinking pot.

The rifle is a Weihrauch HW100T .22 at 10.9 Ft/lbs.

I used to use JSB Exact but they are hard to come by, AA Fields are virtually the same, if not the same. The Hunters definately perform equally as well.

Hope this is of any use.

Regards

Nick

What does point mean? Comes to a point, yes? So unless they have a point, as in the whole of the front of the pellet comes to the same point then they are not pointed, are they?

Nobody is trying to trick you, others have said try a load out in your gun, what works for you probably won't for the next bloke. Points aside, if you are accurate with it at your hunting range then whatever pellet you did that with is probably your best bet.

Kipper, pick up a tin of the AA hunter pellets, bit less rounded than the field but just as good, the 410 loves them :good:

i use aahunter pellets in my s410k and mine loves them to, more than accupel which was my first choice but i found to many flyers so i switched to hunters and found them alot more accurate.