CASE LENGTH

Just been full length sizing some once fired 243 cases and measured the case length and they averaged out at 2.035 and the book length states 2.045, how common is this?, been loading the 243 for quite a while now and i notice this regularly, i used to load 223 and found the same with those cases too, makes me wonder weather to trim or not

I don't trim unless I have to. I don't even think it has a meaningful effect on accuracy if you batch up slight uneven lengths, as long as its not too long. Some even make a cast of their chamber to get the trim length required measured and exceed the maximum length spec in that particular gun if they can.

Just been full length sizing some once fired 243 cases and measured the case length and they averaged out at 2.035 and the book length states 2.045, how common is this?, been loading the 243 for quite a while now and i notice this regularly, i used to load 223 and found the same with those cases too, makes me wonder weather to trim or not

Btw, 2.045 is MAX case length (in the book anyway)

I don't trim unless I have to. I don't even think it has a meaningful effect on accuracy if you batch up slight uneven lengths, as long as its not too long. Some even make a cast of their chamber to get the trim length required measured and exceed the maximum length spec in that particular gun if they can.

you will see a difference if you shot you inconsistant cases over a chrono mate,the SD will be higher,we tried it last week

you will see a difference if you shot you inconsistant cases over a chrono mate,the SD will be higher,we tried it last week

I don't actually, I used to be obsessive about it though. when trying things run only one change over the chrony and onto paper and you find a lot of BS is bounded about on here say. Different brass batches? then that's not something I don't do, even mixed usage of the same brass batch there is always the chance that your gun wants it that way though

Edited by kent