gill nets on the beach

highseas

59 members have voted

1. 1. shore gill nets.... for or against

• for
    • against
    • dont know

A gill net is deisgned to catch fish by thier gill's hence the name, 90% of fish trapped in a gill net will die because of this, encluding undersized fish due to the mesh size constricting as fish/crabs/seaweed/debris etc gets caught in the net and stretches it,

so the mesh gets smaller then gets bigger? no most fish are not "gilled" most are tangled up around the mouth,you see to know a lot about it even thou you have never found a fish in a gill net. my nets are multi mono it makes a better softer stronger net.

your whole argument is around swimmers and divers. stop to consider their are no divers on some beaches. their are no swimmers on some beaches.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A gill net is deisgned to catch fish by thier gill's hence the name, 90% of fish trapped in a gill net will die because of this, encluding undersized fish due to the mesh size constricting as fish/crabs/seaweed/debris etc gets caught in the net and stretches it, they are mainly made of monofilament which makes them virtually invisable and as stated by someone else it is very easy for divers/swimmers or anyone else using the shore to get tangled up in them.

Tbf you sound like someone trying to tell me shootings cruel.

Live and let live.

so the mesh gets smaller then gets bigger? no most fish are not "gilled" most are tangled up around the mouth,you see to know a lot about it even thou you have never found a fish in a gill net. my nets are multi mono it makes a better softer stronger net.

your whole argument is around swimmers and divers. stop to consider their are no divers on some beaches. their are no swimmers on some beaches.

Firstly: When you stretch a square mesh net the diameter reduces !

Secondly: They are called GILLNETS for a reason even if you chose to deny it !

Thirdly: Nets become ripped and drift because of many reasons so regardless of where they are placed there is no guarantee they will not end up somewhere else !

I once went swimming naked in bridlington on a cold wet december morning.

Tbf you sound like someone trying to tell me shootings cruel.

Live and let live.

Far from it when you go shooting i assume you target a given species, Gillnetting will kill everything that comes along theres a big difference !

Like i said. I dont even know what a gill net is.

Im not saying your an anti but you could put your point across better then using made up percentages and using swimmers and divers as an auguing point.

I bet i could go stand on the beach for a week and i might see one person swim at this time of year.

Very much against shore netting ! They DO kill sea birds, they can be VERY dangerous to beach users (kite/wind surfer's,kyak users,jet ski's, swimmers, children) they play havok with shore angling, they kill lots of undersize fish, I persnoally think all shore netting should be banned.

I have and will cut/remove any net's i find when fishing/bait collecting.

Way out of order with your last sentence in my opinion. What happens if people who dont like angling decide to cut your line ??????

Like i said. I dont even know what a gill net is.

Im not saying your an anti but you could put your point across better then using made up percentages and using swimmers and divers as an auguing point.

I bet i could go stand on the beach for a week and i might see one person swim at this time of year.

I explained to you what a gill net was in post #50

Shore netting goes on all year round even more so during the warmer months due to seasonal spieces of fish as well as the influx of fair weather fishermen.

Any net that gets ripped and drift's will continue to be an underwater hazzard until it gets washed up on the beach or dragged out by a comercial fishing boat.

I'm not arguing the fact just pointing out the truth's envolved with shore netting ! (this encludes all shore nets not just gill nets).

Firstly: When you stretch a square mesh net the diameter reduces !

Secondly: They are called GILLNETS for a reason even if you chose to deny it !

Thirdly: Nets become ripped and drift because of many reasons so regardless of where they are placed there is no guarantee they will not end up somewhere else !

ohh i like a good debate..

firstly. mono netting WILL NOT STRETCH if it did it would be useless! nets can be made in diffrent diamiters mine are 0.40mm or 0.30mm multi mono is 1.5mm thick i cant see what diffrence the diamiter has on your argument.

secondly. i use gill nets.... it depends on how they are rigged as to how they fish. mine are rigged more than half so they fish very slack hence most of the fish caught thease days are NOT gilled they are tangled up i promise you.

third i agree nets drift and get lost BUT the anchors used for sandy beaches is a hollow block sank 2ft under the sand a landrover wont even pull it out!

I explained to you what a gill net was in post #50

Shore netting goes on all year round even more so during the warmer months due to seasonal spieces of fish as well as the influx of fair weather fishermen.

Any net that gets ripped and drift's will continue to be an underwater hazzard until it gets washed up on the beach or dragged out by a comercial fishing boat.

I'm not arguing the fact just pointing out the truth's envolved with shore netting ! (this encludes all shore nets not just gill nets).

again rong like i said in a earlyer post it is limited to seasons ours in 1st dec to 1st may.

what other shore nets are they?

ohh i like a good debate..

firstly. mono netting WILL NOT STRETCH if it did it would be useless! nets can be made in diffrent diamiters mine are 0.40mm or 0.30mm multi mono is 1.5mm thick i cant see what diffrence the diamiter has on your argument.

secondly. i use gill nets.... it depends on how they are rigged as to how they fish. mine are rigged more than half so they fish very slack hence most of the fish caught thease days are NOT gilled they are tangled up i promise you.

third i agree nets drift and get lost BUT the anchors used for sandy beaches is a hollow block sank 2ft under the sand a landrover wont even pull it out!

Monofilament DOES stretch However i was talking about the net as a whole ! if you have a square mesh net and you pull it tight the squares become diamonds reducing the diameter of the square causing undersize fish to be caught.

Regardless of how far the anchors are buried if the net rip's away from them it will drift !

again rong like i said in a earlyer post it is limited to seasons ours in 1st dec to 1st may.

what other shore nets are they?

Season's dont stop people doing it there are many regulations that people dont adhere to.

I have found most types of net's used on the shoreline from fyke nets to trammel nets i've even seen crude home made nets tethered between two scafold poles

Season's dont stop people doing it there are many regulations that people dont adhere to.

I have found most types of net's used on the shoreline from fyke nets to trammel nets i've even seen crude home made nets tethered between two scafold poles

A ban will only stop the sensible people doing it.

Just like the minorty of people who shoot game out of season and buzzards ect.

Theres bad in all walks of life pal.

Monofilament DOES stretch However i was talking about the net as a whole ! if you have a square mesh net and you pull it tight the squares become diamonds reducing the diameter of the square causing undersize fish to be caught.

Regardless of how far the anchors are buried if the net rip's away from them it will drift !

nooo the net is dimond mesh put to head lines and lead line it cant stretch along its lenth nor can it stretch up the way the way its made wont let it! the mesh is rigged 2/3 slack any how so my 100m net would have to stretch to 200m befor the mesh got tight! the nets cant rip away from them the only way we lose a net is if its untied or cut from its anchors

fyks are not used at sea so thats BS. a trammel is just like a gill net just better for flat fish like turbot.plaice i know i have 300m of them..

nooo the net is dimond mesh put to head lines and lead line it cant stretch along its lenth nor can it stretch up the way the way its made wont let it! the mesh is rigged 2/3 slack any how so my 100m net would have to stretch to 200m befor the mesh got tight! the nets cant rip away from them the only way we lose a net is if its untied or cut from its anchors

fyks are not used at sea so thats BS. a trammel is just like a gill net just better for flat fish like turbot.plaice i know i have 300m of them..

I'm not saying that you personally dont comply with regulations, this is not a dig at you as a person !

To say that nets dont stretch (reducing the diameter) or that nets dont rip is ludicras, i see lads mending ripped nets every day on the harbour.

And to say that people dont use fyke nets either is also ludicras some people will use whatever they can !

I'm not saying that you personally dont comply with regulations, this is not a dig at you as a person !

To say that nets dont stretch (reducing the diameter) or that nets dont rip is ludicras, i see lads mending ripped nets every day on the harbour.

And to say that people dont use fyke nets either is also ludicras some people will use whatever they can !

And thems the only people who will continue this way of fishing if a ban comes about

Dangerous when done in an irresponsible manner.

As with most (if not all) sports/hobbies.

A ban doesn't help

lol yes irresponsible when done on the shoreline making it easy for other shore users to come into contact with them.

I'm not saying ban netting for personal use just not from the shore !

You would'nt shoot your gun at the public so how is it safe to net in front of them ?

Edited by lumpy