Dominican Republic

ollie

Getting ready to book our honeymoon and I think we have narrowed our search down to the Dominican Republic. Just wondering have any of you guys ever been and what did you think of it?

The only problem is that our Wedding is in August and we are thinking of going at the start of September. Now I know this is in the rainy/hurricane season, but has anyone ever been to the Dominican Republic at this time of year?

Getting ready to book our honeymoon and I think we have narrowed our search down to the Dominican Republic. Just wondering have any of you guys ever been and what did you think of it?

The only problem is that our Wedding is in August and we are thinking of going at the start of September. Now I know this is in the rainy/hurricane season, but has anyone ever been to the Dominican Republic at this time of year?

I've heard you have to stay in compounds. Why not just do an easy canary island number.

Went to Samna, Dominican Republic 1st 2 weeks September last year, stayed at Cayo Laventado which is an island, only one hotel on the island and it is briillaint. Look at Thompson Holidays, Cayo Laventado, We are going back next year it is that good. If you want to know any more about the place PM me.

:good:

Butch.

Lovely place, lovely people. We went in September and had some spectacular rainstorms but they didn't last long, we just spent some time in our room :whistling: and were back on the beach within a couple of hours. The sea was pretty rough but that just made the swimming a bit more fun.

Lovely place, lovely people. We went in September and had some spectacular rainstorms but they didn't last long, we just spent some time in our room :whistling: and were back on the beach within a couple of hours. The sea was pretty rough but that just made the swimming a bit more fun.

Thats what we were thinking, it is our honeymoon so can spend alone time when it's raining.

I've heard you have to stay in compounds. Why not just do an easy canary island number.

Been to canary's before, but wanted somewhere different.

Went to Samna, Dominican Republic 1st 2 weeks September last year, stayed at Cayo Laventado which is an island, only one hotel on the island and it is briillaint. Look at Thompson Holidays, Cayo Laventado, We are going back next year it is that good. If you want to know any more about the place PM me.

:good:

Butch.

Thanks mate. What was the weather like last year?

Top place for Honeymoon/holiday,been out a couple of times,good all inclusive packages.top tip if you do go take with you pencils pens note books as most hotels have a school affiliated to them or if you do a tour/rainforest tour hand them to the children at your stops.as they are all desperate for education. Outside the resorts it is very poor family's living in lorry containers etc etc.but like most places keep your wits about you and be aware of your surroundings if you go into town,on your own.

Went to the Dominican Republic about 5 years ago to a rui hotel which was all inclusive I think there were 7 or 8 restaurants in the complex all of which were included in the all inclusive. Went on a trip swimming with sharks and another trip swimming with dolphins best holiday we've ever been on. Defiantly recommend it we went late July and the weather was fine a bit of rain but only lasted a couple of hours at a time

Hi me and wide went for our honey moon 2011 in August was fantastic very hot except second to last day as hurricane Irene passed the island before it slammed Into Jamaica we stayed in bavaro near punta Cana booked thorough Thomas cook was fantastic hotel was called gran Bahia principe plenty to see and do I would think you would be fine in early September you may have the odd rainy day but it is your honey

Moon after all

Mark

We went to Puerto Plata in the north weather was fantastic dont recall any rain sea was a bit rough at times but i was scuba diving from relatively small boats and it wasnt too bad. We wondered off compound a couple of times and felt safe. Very Friendly people too.

We went to an iberostar in punta cana in 2009 and it was fantastic. So much to see and do. Went deep sea fishing one of the days and found whilst out wandering a local shopping centre where we had a few beers in the pub. The complexes are protected by armed guards but you are free to come and go. The people are really friendly bt there are scallys willing to rip you off

Hope this hepls

Hi me and wide went for our honey moon 2011 in August was fantastic very hot except second to last day as hurricane Irene passed the island before it slammed Into Jamaica we stayed in bavaro near punta Cana booked thorough Thomas cook was fantastic hotel was called gran Bahia principe plenty to see and do I would think you would be fine in early September you may have the odd rainy day but it is your honey

Moon after all

Mark

We are thinking of going to Gran Bahia Principe Esmerelda; would you recommend this complex?

I race in the the Caribbean and I must say I personally think Barbados is the best. Very friendly locals to work with and holiday with. I`ts out of the hurricane zone, safe to wander the streets and so small it doesn`t take a day to drive around. Worst has to be a toss up between Trinidad and Jamaica. My favorite race is in Jamaica but what a horrible place in general. I`ve nothing to say to a holiday in a compound and not safe to walk the streets at night but each to their own. I get to take my family every year to one race and we have chosen Barbados for the last 7 years as I personally wouldn`t feel safe leaving them in any other Caribbean Island. Port of Spain? say no more but on a plus side the downtown of Kingston has changed in the last 5 years and will soon be the heart of Jamaican banking industry.

The esmarelda was in the same complex and right in the beach was seen as the posher part if the complex private pool that all the other guests carnt use looked very nice and think you had unlimited al a carte restaurant use age during the stay. Fantastic resort staff really nice the restaurants were great the buffet was quite good as well and the pool bars were well stocked even the international brands were included in the all inclusive. The trips that Thomas cook offered were amazing we did the mega trucks tour, swam with dolphins among other things.

Great complex

Mark

We went 18 months ago and loved it, get yourself a decent scuba / snorkel mask and snorkel and you will have an amazing time!

We went rui merenga or something like that it was called and it was brilliant, clean, great food, four of us went and none was ill the staff were brilliant and first class, I would go back again in a heart beat !

I went 6 or 7 years ago stayed at one of the riu hotels there are 3 all together in a big complex ( nothing like a compound). All inclusive package and it was fantastic, food and drink were great and plenty to do if you want to. The entertainment staff were great and were really friendly as we're all the bar staff and waiters etc. The only time we went out was when we went on a trip to swim with dolphins. We went in June and weather was great. If you like white sand and palm trees and the sea warmer than your bath it's the place for you. My Mrs keeps on about going back.

i went about 3 years ago one of the best holidays stayed all inclusive and did as many excursions as possible when swimming dolphins,speed boat tour ended up on tiny island middle sea went snorkaling definatly recommend it!

I've been twice the first in 2003 and was a brilliant holiday very good all round the second in 2004 and it put me off for life their was a massive earthquake and half the airport was near on falling down and I ended up getting £2000 stole from my bank account as some thieving ****** cloned my bank card when I used it over their

It's a lovely place but just don't trust the people and take enough cash NO CARDS lol

Hope you enjoy