open or closed licence?

timmy264

Hi

Just got home and my certificate has arrived at last. My feo said he was going to put 2 of my permission s on to start with and to ask for more to be added in 6 mths but my licence has the following wording

The .22rf rifle, 17hmr rifle, sound moderators and ammunition to which this certificate relates shall be used for vermin control and for zeroing on land deemed suitable by the chief officer of the police for the area where the land is situated and over which the holder of this certificate has permission to shoot with this class of firearm from the person by whom the shooting rights are owned, leased or otherwise obtained. The ammunition referred to in this condition, either possessed or to be acquired, may include expanding bullets.

Closed in afraid

on land deemed suitable by the chief officer of the police for the area where the land is situated and over which the holder of this certificate has permission to shoot

The key piece being deemed suitable by the chief officer of Police.

However you may find if you get some additional permissions or a substantial permission it may end up saying "on land over which the holder has authority to shoot"

Edited by Rogc

Thanks

So I'll have to phone them to see which of my permissions have been put down then? Ahh well,no shooting till after Easter as I don't know what permissions he put down! Said he was just going to put 2 down out of the 6 for now.seems a lot of pointless messing about.

Edited by timmy264

Being closed doesn't limit you to specific permissions, it just limits you to land that has been "approved" by the police. They don't enter any info about your permissions onto the FAC They keep a record of what land you have permission on at the time you ask for a FAC as evidence of your "good reason" to have a rifle for shooting vermin / game / whatever

You can shoot on any or as many permissions as you can get as long as they are cleared for .22 and .17HMR and the police should be able to tell you whether they have been or not. HOWEVER if they haven't cleared the land then you can't shoot there until they have done so.

As you need to be sure about which of your permissions are cleared you certainly have to get back to them to check that info.

Being closed doesn't limit you to specific permissions, it just limits you to land that has been "approved" by the police. They don't enter any info about your permissions onto the FAC They keep a record of what land you have permission on at the time you ask for a FAC as evidence of your "good reason" to have a rifle for shooting vermin / game / whatever

You can shoot on any or as many permissions as you can get as long as they are cleared for .22 and .17HMR and the police should be able to tell you whether they have been or not. HOWEVER if they haven't cleared the land then you can't shoot there until they have done so.

As you need to be sure about which of your permissions are cleared you certainly have to get back to them to check that info.

This reply is spot on!

Yes your FAC is "CLOSED" - The key words are "Land that has been approved by the police"!

They only need to list one permission that has been approved to show "good reason".

You can have as many permissions as you like and shoot on them as long as you have permission (Preferably in writing) and they have been cleared for your calibre(s) of rifle. They do not need to all be listed with the police with you as a named shooter on them, the crucial thing is that they have been approved within the last 5 years. Whenever you get a new permission you should be able to phone or e-mail your Firearms Office and find out if that land hac been approved just by giving them the name and address of the landowner, the address of the land and ideally the post code. The police have a register of all land that has been inspected and approved, and what calibres of rifle it is approved for, and should be willing and able to tell you if they have been approved and for what calibre(s) there and then! If however the land has yet to be approved then with a closed ticket you can not shoot on it until such time that it has been approved. Don't always take the word of the landowner that it has been approved, check with your firearms office to make sure that the approval is up to date!

Hope this helps.

Happy shooting!

Ahh, now I understand. He said he'd just put 2 down so I thought I was only allowed on those until it was opened.that's fine with me. I can shoot on all my permissions as long as they've already been checked by the police and shoot with my friend on his as those have been cleared. Thanks for all the advice.

Ahh, now I understand. He said he'd just put 2 down so I thought I was only allowed on those until it was opened.that's fine with me. I can shoot on all my permissions as long as they've already been checked by the police and shoot with my friend on his as those have been cleared. Thanks for all the advice.

:good:

:shaun:

Your FAC is closed but as already stated you can shoot on other land if you have permission and the land is approved for the calibre you are using. CHECK FIRST with the Police that land is approved. Some Police Forces will name land on your FAC where you can shoot and others don't. My son and I live in Staffordshire but have a permission in Derbyshire. Derbyshire Police said we could not shoot on that land as it was not named on the FAC, Staffs Police said we could, (and yes we can legally). A way around this is to email your Firearms Dept and ask them to put any new permissions you get onto your "file". This won't show on the FAC, but, if you are checked out by a Police Officer they will have access to your data base and this land will show up as ok even though it is not named on your FAC. Police Firearms Departments will do this free of charge. To sum up: you have 6 permissions all named on your FAC, then you get a new permission which is obviously not shown on the FAC so you ask your Firearms Department to add the new permission to your "file", you get checked by a PC and they will know you are ok to shoot there. I hope this is clear and it helps.....happy shooting.

Your FAC is closed but as already stated you can shoot on other land if you have permission and the land is approved for the calibre you are using. CHECK FIRST with the Police that land is approved. Some Police Forces will name land on your FAC where you can shoot and others don't. My son and I live in Staffordshire but have a permission in Derbyshire. Derbyshire Police said we could not shoot on that land as it was not named on the FAC, Staffs Police said we could, (and yes we can legally). A way around this is to email your Firearms Dept and ask them to put any new permissions you get onto your "file". This won't show on the FAC, but, if you are checked out by a Police Officer they will have access to your data base and this land will show up as ok even though it is not named on your FAC. Police Firearms Departments will do this free of charge. To sum up: you have 6 permissions all named on your FAC, then you get a new permission which is obviously not shown on the FAC so you ask your Firearms Department to add the new permission to your "file", you get checked by a PC and they will know you are ok to shoot there. I hope this is clear and it helps.....happy shooting.

I'm sorry but most of what you have said above is rubbish and you are complicating things no end.

You only need to supply one piece of suitable land to obtain grant of a fac.

It is not a requirement, legal or otherwise, to advise the police of any other permission you have.

You can shoot on any land which has been "cleared" for your caliber (obviously with the landowners permission) without the need to advise the police.

If you don't know or can't find out if the land has been cleared then a simple phone call to the police will supply the answer. They are obliged to tell you.

I'm sorry but most of what you have said above is rubbish and you are complicating things no end.

You only need to supply one piece of suitable land to obtain grant of a fac.

It is not a requirement, legal or otherwise, to advise the police of any other permission you have.

You can shoot on any land which has been "cleared" for your caliber (obviously with the landowners permission) without the need to advise the police.

If you don't know or can't find out if the land has been cleared then a simple phone call to the police will supply the answer. They are obliged to tell you.

I agree with what you are saying but in my circumstances Derbys and Staffs have a different view. Derbys told me on the phone that I would be arrested and rifle seized! Staffs said no you won't. Best to give only 1 permission I know. Its about time we had a national licence so every knows where they stand. This Chief of Police thing is wrong because they all vary slightly. Staffs have now started asking for a copy of written permission from landholders for renewals etc., so its back to only 1 permission for me. Thanks for posting.

So if you had an open ticket that allowed you to shoot on any land deemed safe by you. Do you have to check with the police to see if there are any restrictions or if its been cleared at all.

No you don't, an open cert puts the responsibility on you to make the judgement.

the stupid thing for me is that there is land that is "uncleared" that i would be happy to shoot over and land that is "cleared" that i wont shoot over only from one or tow points. The issue is subjective my best advice is every shot you take think about what could go wrong and if there is any doubt dont

The answer that Jolly has given is much the same as my line of thinking. It makes no difference if you have an Open or Closed ticket or if the land has been checked and approved or not, the onus is always on the man behind the trigger to make an instant assessment of each and every shot and decide if it is safe or not before squeezing the trigger - There are no exceptions to this rule in my opinion! If there is the slightes of doubts than you simply don't shoot.

It may be wandering off the point a little but the thing that I try to drum in to every shooter that I Mentor or Accompany is that the a Firearm is designed basically as a "Killing Machine" and that the potential for an "accident" (Through a lapse of concentration or a bit of an "Iffy Backstop") to happen when out with a friearm is always there and once that accident has "happened" it is too late, you can not "unhappen" it! This is drummed into all shooters that I take out before they are allowed to even take a shot to zero their rifle!

the stupid thing for me is that there is land that is "uncleared" that i would be happy to shoot over and land that is "cleared" that i wont shoot over only from one or tow points. The issue is subjective my best advice is every shot you take think about what could go wrong and if there is any doubt dont

Edited by Frenchieboy