Squirrel Feeder

Fisheruk

This is my umpteenth squirrel feeder.

The main differences are the Aluminium lid, cut from a non-stick frying pan, which had lost its non-stick.

The bottom is made from expamet to allow the crud to drop through, otherwise you end up with a sticky mess in the bottom after a while.

The timber is all reclaimed pallet wood.

The piano hinge was from stock, having bought a packet of 10 from Screw-fix yonks ago. So no real cost and a dozen screws.

Heavy duty cable tie to the trunk of a tree.

I'll try it out tomorrow morning. :)

post-48292-0-20167900-1364588849_thumb.jpg

is it me, but how's it a feeder?

nuts in jar, with no access to them

They are clever little fellars.

Normally takes them less than 30 secs for them to sus out they lift the lid to get to the nuts. Once they have done it and received the reward they come back time and again.

The idea is that you get them visiting at a safe place to shoot. Beats wandering through a wood, particularly when in full leaf.

You can be selective, Free meal for a Red, last meal for a grey.

We have both around here.

Also stops the Jays and Woodies hoovering the nuts. It is a large Marmalade Jar and the nuts last the thick end of a week. :yes:

an excellent idea, i,ve been quite suprised just how clever the greys are, i,ve hidden nuts in my garden and although i could not see them, within 10 mins they would be down out of the trees and digging them up,safe to say none of them left lol

i knocked up four of these feeders(well similar) on saturday , tools used were , chainsaw , screwdriver , pliers ,staple gun , it took me an hour to make all four of them , the hinge is leather so i hope they dont chew through them lol , i put them in the woods this afternoon so hopefully theyll soon produce a few , ill let you know if they work.

post-1082-0-71664000-1364849495_thumb.jpgpost-1082-0-76832800-1364849514_thumb.jpg

dave has the top part got to be metal ???, just asking mate have you done this to stop them eating through it to get at the nuts ???

I have certainly found that some squirrels get very cross and try to find an easier way in, so the metal lid will stop the destruction. Also depending what you are shooting with the metal lid is more resistant to shotgun pellets. I have screwed some Galv MS strapping to the tops and top edges if they start knawing the wood.

I have produced some armoured versions by cladding them with 2mm mild steel. That has a double advantage, blunts the squirrels teeth but also stops the .22rf from shattering the jam jar. :good::yes: If you are shooting with a shotgun you will need to fix with wire to resist the pellets, otherwise you have to keep refixing it.

i knocked up four of these feeders(well similar) on saturday , tools used were , chainsaw , screwdriver , pliers ,staple gun , it took me an hour to make all four of them , the hinge is leather so i hope they dont chew through them lol , i put them in the woods this afternoon so hopefully theyll soon produce a few , ill let you know if they work.

attachicon.gifPhoto0023_resized.jpgattachicon.gifPhoto0024_resized.jpg

Certainly look as though they will do the job. I find they are particularly useful when the trees leaf up and it is not so easy to see the critters in the canopy.