pop up hide

kxkirk

I recently bought one of these thinking it would be great to use if I was just going out for an hour or so, it wasnt going to replace my good old net and poles. I was excited when it arrived opened the bag and out it pop, great I I I thought that is amazing, so I put it up in the garden while the missus and neighbours gave me strange looks. Then came the taking it down and fitting it into the tiny bag. After many times trying it still hasnt been back in, but that didnt put me off it was probably my pea sized brain and ape size hands that meant i couldnt do it. So it was put into the shed waiting for the first chance to use it. The chance finally came yesterday on freshly drilled barley. I went with a friend and i must be honest by the time i had gotten the poles in pegged it to the floor used the bits of stri g to secure it he had pretty much finished putting up his normal hide, yet i still wasnt put off it looked good........ an hour later i wanted to rip it up it was like being sat in a empty crisp packet being blown around in the wind, it wasnt a very windy day but sat inside it felt like i was in a hurricane. So in conclusion i think it will return to the shed and stay there for a long time.

post-55381-0-19850300-1364714230_thumb.png

Pop ups don't like the wind!

Many of them are too small for normal use especially the type with the fitted seat.

I sometimes use an Ameristep Outhouse when decoying pigeons with an air rifle or static shooting rabbits over a warren. They have a huge floor area so plenty of room for seat, gun, food, flasks and so on.

Plenty of windows and ideal in light rain.

Netting and poles or a natural hide will always be better but the pop up has proved useful, particularly in winter when leaf cover in the woods is nil.

Would I be without it? No.

Would I buy another? Probably not.

As I had nothing to do yesterday, I spent a couple of hours messing about in the garden mucking about with poles, nets, pop up hide.

I came to the conclusion that all forms have their place and there's not one perfect hide. If you work on the premise that you have to be where the birds are and not where its convenient on the hedge line in front of that perfect bush, then different hides suit different occasions. For crows, obviously you need a roof. It restricts your shooting greatly, but if you don't have a roof, chances are you would only get at the low incomers. With the wide stewardships on ,most farms down here, youv'e already lost 30+ feet of range if you stick to the hedgeline.

For summer shooting or where you can use a natural backdrop, jut a few poles and nets are the answer. If its cold, breezy and you need the bonus of a roof, the pop ups come into their own.

I have one of the ameristep bale hides. I wouldn't use it in the summer on the hedgeline, but the other day on the crows it was, cold, breezy and I had to be on the edge of the margin, with roof so it was perfect, a net/pole hide wouldn't have been.

As I had nothing to do yesterday, I spent a couple of hours messing about in the garden mucking about with poles, nets, pop up hide.

I came to the conclusion that all forms have their place and there's not one perfect hide. If you work on the premise that you have to be where the birds are and not where its convenient on the hedge line in front of that perfect bush, then different hides suit different occasions. For crows, obviously you need a roof. It restricts your shooting greatly, but if you don't have a roof, chances are you would only get at the low incomers. With the wide stewardships on ,most farms down here, youv'e already lost 30+ feet of range if you stick to the hedgeline.

For summer shooting or where you can use a natural backdrop, jut a few poles and nets are the answer. If its cold, breezy and you need the bonus of a roof, the pop ups come into their own.

I have one of the ameristep bale hides. I wouldn't use it in the summer on the hedgeline, but the other day on the crows it was, cold, breezy and I had to be on the edge of the margin, with roof so it was perfect, a net/pole hide wouldn't have been.

Slightly off topic but I have some pretty wide ones where I shoot but during the summer if I put veil and everything on I can get away with just a low seat and sitting still not Ideal for decoying but perfect for flighting and v. mobile