Economy petrol v diesel, is there much difference anymore?

955i

Unless you do at least 15000 a year and drive normally not like a granny, then avoid the modern diesels. There is that many problems with egr valves and dp filters. Diesel cars are also more to buy. But also I find that older petrol cars are better on fuel than modern one's.

Edited by Albert 888

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you do at least 15000 a year and drive normally not like a granny, then avoid the modern diesels. There is that many problems with egr valves and dp filters. Diesel cars are also more to buy. But also I find that older petrol cars are better on fuel than modern one's.

Dpf and egr valve delete and a rolling road tune costs around £500,this blanks the egr valve and replaces the dpf filter,so no problems with those better fuel and more bhp and tourque.

for 4K your probably wanting either

Ford focus, mondeo, cmax

Vauxhall astra, vectra, signum

mazda 6

skoda octavia, fabia (good buy but small)

Kia ceed (if you are lucky)

seat altea (people carrier-ish)

toyota avensis, corolla verso(people carrier)

VW passat, golf(both loadsa money)

All will do 50mpg+ so you are better off try to look for one without a DPF filter and get one with a timing chain :)

Dont touch a laguna/megan/Pug 307 there is a good reason they are cheap :)

Astra 1.9 cdti I have one its ok on fuel Rapid if you have a heavy foot! If it get a 1.7, no dpd can belt at 100k dual mass flywheel, alternators and inlet manifold are weak points.

Vectra are huge and cheap mate had 1.9 auto was nice but all need regular servicing and not filling with unleaded...... Twice......

For me Astra was better to drive than golf/Octavian cheaper than passat or avensis not so hard to park as vectra and better on fuel than signum. It might be dropping mine soon as hardly using it anymore done 1000 miles in 6 months !

Oh and 50mpg? Nah.....I just manage 52 in a 1.3 cdti corsa driving like a granny....(oh and not on morrisons fuel)

Edited by HDAV

I'm looking to change my car in the near future and I was looking on auto trader , you can get hybrid cars for little money. I've never looked into them much so I don't know much about them :)

I had a Prius as a company car - I did 134,000 miles in it over less than 3 years.

It was the most boring, reliable car that I have ever had. Fuel consumption averaged 55+ mpg or so - but I do not drive energetically.

There was a lot more space in it than you would think.

My shooting pal used to call it 'Whispering death', as we used to drive in electric mode round a large estate with him shooting rabbits out of the passenger window - they never heard us coming...

"Oh and 50mpg? Nah.....I just manage 52 in a 1.3 cdti corsa driving like a granny....(oh and not on morrisons fuel)"

So you are getting 50mpg+ ill just point out the other comment i made that i dont think much of the small capacity diesels the numbers may say around 60mpg but in the real world they wont. By coincidence I have a Fiat idea 1.3 multijet 90bhp which is exactly the same engine as the corsa (90bhp) and i get only 50ish not the 60 they reckon.

Well the decision was made and executed and I now own a 2006 Passat 2.0 SE TDi with 90K on the clock brought for £3600 :yes:

Has a couple of small scuffs but otherwise is in lovely condition and very much a change from my 2000 V40 :lol:

This be her http://www.netcarsilkeston.co.uk/used-cars/volkswagen-passat-2-0-se-tdi-5dr-ilkeston-201314508115495 only I bet it doesn't look like this for long :no:

Edited by 955i

"Oh and 50mpg? Nah.....I just manage 52 in a 1.3 cdti corsa driving like a granny....(oh and not on morrisons fuel)"

So you are getting 50mpg+ ill just point out the other comment i made that i dont think much of the small capacity diesels the numbers may say around 60mpg but in the real world they wont. By coincidence I have a Fiat idea 1.3 multijet 90bhp which is exactly the same engine as the corsa (90bhp) and i get only 50ish not the 60 they reckon.

Lol i dont think mine is even close to 90bhp i think its the base 75Bhp

http://www.wisebuyers.co.uk/motoring/van-reviews/Vauxhall/Corsa+Van/73/

There is a 1.3 CDTi engine (using common-rail injection system) with 75 bhp, or the 1.2 Twinport petrol engine, which has a bhp of 80 and mpg of 48.7. The 1.3 diesel has a combined mpg of 61.4, which goes up to 72.4 in extra-urban conditions.

Possibly doing 50 on a flat motorway with no traffic might get close to 70 mpg.... but i do 100 mile a day commute with 95 of those on the Mway and due to being "trackered" dont exceed speed limit, I have maxed 517 miles to a tank of fuel (light flashing) 44 litre tank assuming it wasnt dry and used 42 litres of fuel that 55.96 mpg using calculator below (only done that many miles once) normally refuel around 500 miles or when passing tesco..... Morrisons closest to office its 470 ish before refuelling 50mpg..... along way from 70+ quoted......

http://www.mpg-calculator.co.uk/

Edited by HDAV

Dpf and egr valve delete and a rolling road tune costs around £500,this blanks the egr valve and replaces the dpf filter,so no problems with those better fuel and more bhp and tourque.

On the most modern euro5 engines dpf and egr must be operational for the ecu not to produce error codes and go into limp mode. But at the budget of £4000 I would have thought those engines are still in dearer cars.

On the most modern euro5 engines dpf and egr must be operational for the ecu not to produce error codes and go into limp mode. But at the budget of £4000 I would have thought those engines are still in dearer cars.

On the vag group 2.0L tdi engine they are deleted from the memory of the ecu so no fault codes,then tuned to suit on the rolling road. this can be done on the vag PD and CR engines.

Good choice of car by the op. :good:

Just Googled it, looks like I am likely to have a PD. Not sure if that is an issue but reports of failing injectors abound <_<

Not looked into that bit to much,All cars have faults. Im still deciding which car to get skoda Octavia vrs estate or the diesel Subaru legacy estate :/

Not looked into that bit to much,All cars have faults. Im still deciding which car to get skoda Octavia vrs estate or the diesel Subaru legacy estate :/

The Subaru is 4WD and will give you about 47mpg all around, just over 50 on a run. It's a solid feeling car, unlike the Skoda which feels "tinny" in comparison.

My pal bought a Skoda after years of VW ownership and realised why they were cheaper.