European Commission Firearms Consultation

Granett

Apologies if this has been posted before, but I couldn't see it, and I'd hope you'd want to be aware and take part in this consultation:-

http://ec.europa.eu/yourvoice/ipm/forms/dispatch?form=ReduceFirearmsRisk

I've never seen such a loaded questionnaire. I'm not especially involved in shooting but its apparent theat they are trying to get answers that allow them to clamp down on gun ownership.

This is what I have answered:

Introductory questions

Please indicate the country where you live or where your organisation is based United Kingdom
In which capacity are you participating in this consultation? Citizen
Please state your name or the name of your organisation: Steven Wolf
Role of the EU
How would you rate the threat of firearms-related crime to the safety of people living in the EU? 1 (not serious)
To what extent do you consider the EU does enough to tackle the risk of illegal trade and use of firearms in the EU? 1 (EU does enough)

To what extent should the EU take action against the use of firearms for the purpose of committing terrorist acts on EU territory?

2 (more EU action needed)

Please use the box below if you wish to comment further on the questions in this section.

I think each country's laws are adequate to tackle armed terrorist attacks, we do not need more legislation just the enforcement of them.
Legal production, possession and sale

In EU law (Directive 91/477/EEC), a firearm is defined as 'any portable barrelled weapon that expels, is designed to expel or may be converted to expel a shot, bullet or projectile by the action of a combustible propellant...'

To what extent should this definition be changed?

4 (complete revision)

Under Directive 91/477/EEC (Annex I Part II), prohibited firearms include explosive military devices and launchers, automatic firearms, firearms disguised as other objects, ammunition with penetrating, explosive or incendiary projectiles and pistol and revolver ammunition with expanding projectives (except those weapons used for hunting, target shooting or weapons used by authorised persons).

To what extent should this list of prohibited firearms be extended?

1 (not at all)

To what extent should the EU establish common rules for the authorisation of persons to produce and/or sell firearms?

1 (not at all)

To what extent should the EU establish binding rules and standards on technical security features for firearms, to help ensure that only the rightful owner of a firearm may use it?

1 (not at all)

To what extent should the EU establish rules controlling the sale and purchase of firearms and their components over the internet?

1 (not at all)

To what extent should the EU establish rules on arms fairs which take place in the EU?

1 (not at all)

To what extent should the EU establish stricter rules on who may be authorised to possess a firearm (eg on basis of age, mental health, or possesion of a criminal record)?

1 (not at all)

To what extent should the EU establish stricter rules on situations where persons possessing firearms must make a declaration to the authorities?

1 (not at all)

To what extent should the EU establish common European legislation on definition of offences and criminal sanctions relating to arms trafficking?

2 (to some extent)

To what extent should the EU seek to control the sale and possession of ammunition as well as firearms?

1 (not at all)

Please use the box below if you wish to comment further on the questions in this section.

I think that all Europeans should have the right to bear arms under their country's common law constitutions. The current list of prohibited firearms is way too long. I suggest moving fully automatic firearm, explosive military devices and launchers, automatic firearms, firearms disguised as other objects, ammunition with penetrating, explosive or incendiary projectiles and pistol and revolver ammunition with expanding projectives into the ALLOWED category under common law. It is not the role of the state to tell a people what kind of firearms they should and should not have.
Storage, deactivation and destruction

To what extent should the EU take further action for ensuring the secure management of all arms stockpiles in the EU?

1 (not at all)

To what extent should the EU establish common binding rules on how firearms must be stored by those who lawfully possess them?

1 (not at all)

To what extent should the EU establish common binding technical standards on the deactivation of firearms?

1 (not at all)

To what extent should the EU establish common binding rules for verifying that firearms have been destroyed or that they may no longer be reused in whole or in part?

1 (not at all)

I believe it should be a crime to deactivate a firearm and should only be done for strict activities such as some arms fairs and museum displays.
Working with third countries, police cooperation, statistics and reporting

To what extent should the EU, in its agreements with third countries in its neighbourhood, include action to tackle trafficking in firearms?

1 (not at all)

To what extent should the EU develop police training modules for tackling firearms trafficking inside the EU and into the EU?

2 (to some extent)

For the country where you are based, are you aware of any overall strategy or plan for tackling firearms trafficking?

Yes

To what extent should the EU establish a common mechanism for collecting statistics on firearms trafficking?

2 (to some extent)

How frequently should each Member State country report on its progress in tackling firearms trafficking?

1 (never)

I believe that the issue of firearms trafficking should be done at a local level. Each country should either, allow the free flow of arms, or not allow. I think that the European Union under common law does not have the right to force a country to abide by some arms trafficking regulations.
Meta Informations
Creation date 11-04-2013
Last update date
User name
Case Number 283967316361710113
Invitation Ref.
Status N
Language en

It's always been known that our biggest threat in this respect will originate in Europe. What is uncertain is the extent to which our representatives will partake. After all, when (NB: no 'if') this does occur, our government can then attempt to avoid the backlash by claiming that it had nothing to do with it.

Apologies if this has been posted before, but I couldn't see it, and I'd hope you'd want to be aware and take part in this consultation:-

http://ec.europa.eu/yourvoice/ipm/forms/dispatch?form=ReduceFirearmsRisk

I've never seen such a loaded questionnaire. I'm not especially involved in shooting but its apparent theat they are trying to get answers that allow them to clamp down on gun ownership.

Thanks for posting this. I wasnt aware of it and have replied as a private individual. Hopefully all the shooting organisations have / will respond. There is a massive threat to shooting here in this very obviously control seeking document. All shooters (whatever discipline) should respond