Drayton Reservoir

Malik

Thinking of going Drayton Reservoir this weekend for a day of fishing. I heard its a good place to go, and stocked with good sized fish.

Only problem is, I've never been there before, so don't know what to expect, i haven't been fishing for a couple of years so i am a little rusty as well! Only ever fished on 2 places and they weren't amazing lol.

I was just wondering, Do i need my rod licence to fish there? I read on this website that it does day tickets, but i heard from a friend that some places ask for a licence as well...

Also if anyone has fished there recently or this time of the year before. what tactics are the best? Ideally id like to catch something! Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

You need a rod license to fish ANY fresh water venue in England!

You will also need your day ticket.

The EA Rod License can be a single day license if you wish :yes:

if you blank there you are doing something SERIOUSLY WRONG!!!!!

i would start with two rods....small pva bag of crushed boilies or pellet and ANY boilie really....just make sure fresh..

DONT leave your rods unattended at all..even with the bait runner on as some of the takes are very fast and seen rods and even full pods taken...if can get that hectic that you might need to go down to one rod....

try and get on the dam wall if you can but have to be there early ...they also do night fishing but its that well stocked you would be up all night,,,

you will be spoilt there as should have 10-20 out and mix doubles and above..

My last visit there last year resulted in 21 fish. Smallest around 9lb, largest 22lb.

Had mine all off the top with dog biscuits but it was summer.

If you're traveling light try fishing under the boards on the far side next to the yacht club.

And as leeds says start with two rods but get ready to pull one in. Ive often had two fish on at the same time.

It's a great place to experience but does get boring if you're catching non stop. Bit like shooting fish in a barrel.

Thanks for the advice guys!!! really appreciated.

i bought my rod licence online a few hours ago, so that gives me abit of peace of mind. This is probably going to be the best place ive fished, if its as good as you guys describe it!

i am taking Dog Biccys, Sweet corn, Pellets, and Boillies. so will see what they take to. bought a new bomb today, method feeder and some pva bags. so i should be ready for anything lol!

Settling off 6:30am so should get there early enough for some space on the dam wall. :ninja:

ill get some pictures up if i catch anything 20lb+ :good:

I drove past twice today and even though it was pi$$ing down the place was packed, never seen so many fisherman there, maybe there was a match on.

Ian.

was told last year matches have been stopped now,,fished it last september amazing place,carp are a silly size , fished the pellet waggler and the widget and me and buddy had well over 300lb each, even had a large crowd behind us for the last two hours,

ping some 8mm coarse pellels and fish an 11mm coarse pellet on the bomb, done take the corn its a total waste of time,also as said dont take your eye off ya rods as they will certainly get dragged in,

me and my buddy bagged up all day but it was slow for the first two hours until they moved over the feed,but once they did the action was hectic,,must admit i prefer to fish boddingtons as the matches on the tuesdays are very good,i had 268lb last year and only won my section 311lb won the match with 2x 290lb weights 2nd and 3rd

little and often is the key to drayton,,good luck Evo

On the dam. PVA bags. Pellets. Boillies. Switched to method and ground bait for abit. Still nothing.

We started on the right side on the decking. Some lads were night fishing the dam said they caught 4 fish all night. And that right side had landed 400lbs. So we went over there. Those lads were leaving and told us where they were baiting and where they caught them. So stuck to there with no joy all morning. About 1, moved to the dam... Still no joy.

Hardly anyone here now, no one is catching. So not just me. Very odd