.22lr floated barrel?

kennett

Hi, having a bit of a problem with my ruger 10/22, its a laminate stock, target barrel and had a trigger kit so in theory should be fairly accurate and has been for the last 2 years or so. Recently I have been struggling with my grouping, one 5 shot group will be sub inch at 50 yards, then the next will be all over the place. Just trying to work through possible causes, should the barrel on a .22 be floated or are they not that fussy? Any other suggestions appreciated

Hi, having a bit of a problem with my ruger 10/22, its a laminate stock, target barrel and had a trigger kit so in theory should be fairly accurate and has been for the last 2 years or so. Recently I have been struggling with my grouping, one 5 shot group will be sub inch at 50 yards, then the next will be all over the place. Just trying to work through possible causes, should the barrel on a .22 be floated or are they not that fussy? Any other suggestions appreciated

Don't think the target barrel should be free floated on your 10/22, as they can suffer from barrel droop, due to the way the barrel is attached to the receiver. I know mine is not free floated and I have no problems with grouping.

Reggiegun

Cheers everyone dont have a bipod so can rule that out, and il try with the mod off if it ever stops raining! underdog the bad groups are probably around 2" so still rabbit head sized but its just annoying! Albert 888 i use win subs and have always got on well with them but have been switching between new and old style boxes, dont know if there is any difference in manufacture. Cheers reggiegun, i didn't think it used to be floated but best to check! Looks like working through what people have said. Thanks for the help

Edited by kennett

Don't know much about 10/22's is it the auto with rotary mag,maybe the mag could do with cleaning. try and cycle a bullet normaly then extract unfired and check the bullet out for marks it maybe feeding wrong and clipping the head on the way into the chamber , mine does this when I use my old mag on the last bullet as the spring is week.