Beginners kit

Ant67

Hi all,

Fairly new to PW. (earlier post about SGC waiting time).

Got the shotgun cert and purchased a Browning B725 hunter, and have recently got permission on a farm with too many pigeons, my question is this: As a novice to pigeon shooting and with all the equipment available what is the bare minimum I need to get out there and hopefully get some success? Even the subject of decoys is mind boggling there are so many! I dont want to waste hard earned cash on unnecessary gear but would like to do my best for the landowner.

Cheers & thanks.

just start by getting urself a dozen shells on spring sticks, also a camo net and hide poles a nice seat, set out ur decoy pattern put your net up in front of a nice dark hedge get down behind it and wait. im sure if you need any other info on decoy patterns and wind kill zones and other things the guyd on here would be very helpful there a good bunch, good luck pal...mace

Edited by mace1966

welcome 1st thing id say is go out with someone who"s no what there doing when it comes to decoying watch how they set up up and pack up we all do things mainly the same gear wise its not rocket science you could spend 1000 quid on gear and if no birds there you will shoot nothing its that simple .

2nd thing would be get good with your new gun at a clay range may be 1 or 2 lessons 1st no point going to field finding birds and you carn"t hit a barn door other than that pigeons are 1 of the best targets you will ever lift the gun too

swiss

Thanks for the info guys its much appreciated. Good advice swiss I've been on the clays for quite some time now and had a few issues sorted with a decent coach, so hopefully will be able to connect with a few 'real ones' when I get home in a couple of weeks!

Cheers Ant67

Welcome to the mad house.

When you go on your land, sit and wait a while. Find out where they are flying if you can. A blustery day is best for this but not gale force. Pigeons generally fly along flight lines but not always, especially if there is little wind. If you can find the flight lines then you are half way there. Best of luck!

Keep the amount of kit simple to start. Remember you've got to carry it plus your gun and cartridges. See if you can get hold of a copy of John Batley's book, "The Pigeon Shooter." It contains a wealth of info.

:yahoo::welcomeani::yahoo:

Edited by Uncle Albert

When I started I had 6 plastic decoy shells, no net, poles or any other kit. I watched the pigeon until I was fairly sure of their flight line, then put out my decoys under or as close as I could to it in a rough horseshoe shape pointing into the wind, then got right in the hedge and not move until the very last moment.

I think that many including myself make decoying very complicated these days.

Just make sure you enjoy your shooting.

• 2 weeks later...

You can often pick up bargains from boot sales. If shells come up then go for them. You can buy flocking material from craft stores. Paint the shells with waterproof PVA and sprinkle the flock on them. Then get busy painting them. I use bathroom/kitchen emulsion in grey and white. mix them to get the shade and then paint them. Hide poles can be made up using clothes props from B&Q or homebase. Nip down the local Army surplus store for jumbo kit bags (sailors kit bags type). Ideal for carrying all the gear. DPM camo is OK and relatively cheap, plus when it gets dirty easy to clean. The best bit is to look around and utilise what you can.

Have fun.