pea drillings

fletch2

hi all, the farmer on my permission is putting peas in soon can anyone tell me when the best time to shoot over peas. is it when they are planted, breaking the surface or harvest time?

may have been covered before but i need to know. cheers.

if there is seed on the surface after drilling you may well get a decent day decoying until all is mopped up. as with other spring drillings.

round these parts the pigeons seem to get on the peas when they are about 1inch tall. as JDog says they feed happily at all stages of pea growth and also on the stubble after they are harvested, though it is often not long before it's cultivated.

Give them three days at the most and if there are any on the surface they will find them. After that with careful observation you could shoot the fields on a regular basis until September at least.

That will depend if they are vineing peas or harvest peas

Viners will be done long before september , harvest can go to september / october

i heard some great story's about peas was just a bit unsure when was the best time. cheers guy's

Peas are a crop just like any other. Pigeons may feed on them or they may not. Some shooters seem to think that peas are some magical crop that will attract pigeons from miles around.

Best of luck, though, you may get some cracking sport in the coming months.

when the pigeons are feeding on there !! , field on my permission had peas sown 2 wks ago , i kept watching but no pigeon , they were still feeding on the rape . i had to work this wk end ,and missed the pigeons . the farmers mate shot there sat and sun . sat 60 sun 121 .

so just keep watching the field mate and find a flight line .