new dogs

masterblaster

hi all picked 2 new labs up on sunday both a year old and brothers.both have got the trots bad any tips on what food to give them at the moment they are fed 3 times aday because they are very thin,weetabix in the morning then chappie dog food and dry mix in afternoon and evening.injections and worming are uptadate,any ideas much appreciated :good:

MB,

If the dogs have been vet checked, and are okay there, then I would say that they are having a hard time adjusting to having food 3 x a day. Starve the poor little ******* for 24 hours, giving plenty of water. Then make their first meal plain yogurt, and if that settles well give a light feed of kibbles as their second, slowly increasing what they are getting. This will also take care of any stomack bug they may have picked up.

I am not familiar with the dog food brands over there, but go out and get them a performance food, or even a good quality puppy food to start to get their weight back on.

NTTF

Just a follow on from what NTTF said about brands, I wouldn't give any dog chappie dog food, i would have thought that would give any dog the ****s. Experience with our mutt says that the quality of food you put in determines the 'quality' of what comes back out. That experience is with ONLY our dog, and only a suggestion for you.

Hope they get better soon mate.

Had the same problem with my older dog when he was a pup he constantly had the scutters, starve them for a day or so and then give them boiled chicken and rice for a few days then gradually ween them onto something like Gilpa or Pedigree chum dry food. Then stick to the same food rather than giving them three different types of food per day and certainly don't give them milk, it gives my fellah the sh1ts straight away and can cause worms aswell. You could also mix the dry food with some tinned food just to add a bit of flavour for them, but your better off sticking to the dearer stuff until the stomachs get better, otherwise get yourself a good shovel and a gas mask! :good::lol::lol:

A tip I've got is with dried dog food when my pup didn't want to eat it- put it in icecream container add a bit of water whack it in microwave for a short burst only 20 seconds i think- all the flavours then start coming out- they can't get enough... make sure it's not hot when you feed them.

urgh, believe me.... newfoundlands with the trots is not a pleasant experience. especially if they accidentally shut the back door themselves in the middle of the night and cant get outside to toilet.

starve for at least 24 hours. if small portions of chicken and rice are still not causing them to firm up, starve for another 24 hours. failing that, vets for antibiotics.

gradually introduce the dried dog food into the chicken and rice so it doesnt put them back to square one. sometimes suddenly changing their food to another dried kibble is enough to upset their insides.

also whilst they are being starved watch out for scavenging, and boiled water for drinking if you can. get's rid of any bugs that a normally healthy stomach can cope with.