made a decision to go tee total

novice cushie shooter

I like to drink a bit but when I do I'm happy and reserved not a trouble maker. I also tend to still be able to recognise issues and move away. I've left a lot of places a few minutes before it all kicks off because I guess you just get a feel for things? I only drink when I'm out - rarely at home, if I got into that I'd soon be having too much as I like a whisky or ten!

I can fully relate to what you're saying because my cousin gets punchy when he's had a few and has decided to stop drinking when he's out. It's nice - I never used to be comfortable having a drink with him because I felt that I needed to be sober to get us out of any grief that he may have started! Now he sits there drinking coke and can give us a lift. He's a lovely lad when he's sober and I really don't know what goes wrong in his head when he drinks? All of a sudden anyone who gives him a glance is staring at him and he'll go and kick off.

If you know that drinking isn't doing you any favours then fair play for recognising it and good luck giving it up.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree with those saying about recycling, there a couple a few dpprs up from us who drink wine like fish and rreggulary they will put 2 boxes of empty bottles and tins out ! 1, That cant be good for you drinking that much and 2) it must cost a small fortune.

I gave up drinking alcohol 13 years ago as the older I got the worse it made me feel. I do sometimes miss the odd glass of wine with a meal. The biggest challenge is people accepting that you are tea-total. A lot of people think that you aren't serious, others think you are a recovering alcoholic. A lot of people overseas struggle to understand as the average Brit has a reputation for being a boozer.

Go for it.

My labourer loves it when we finish a job and the customer comes out with a crate of lager for each of us,he gets both crates. had some funny faces when they come out with the lager and i tell them i don't drink,gobsmacked scratch their heads and say "are you sure" as if i'm taking the p***. :lol::lol:

Surely it is like anything else in life, done with moderation it is fine, there are some schools of thought that suggest drinks such as red wine have beneficial effects.

Exactly - saved me typing it out.

I used to drink more than I do now, I probably drink less than 10 units a week now on an average week.

If I am away with friends or say over Christmas/New Year that will go up hugely, but it has been proven 'binge drinking' isn't as bad for you as having a tipple every day.

My labourer loves it when we finish a job and the customer comes out with a crate of lager for each of us,he gets both crates. had some funny faces when they come out with the lager and i tell them i don't drink,gobsmacked scratch their heads and say "are you sure" as if i'm taking the p***. :lol::lol:

I was working with a young labourer a couple of years ago. One day he was talking about the weekend he'd just had, which of the local pubs he'd been to, which ones he thought were best, the cost of a pint these days and the perils of the breathalyser when you live in the sticks. I laughed and said at least I didn't have to worry about all that any more because I didn't drink. He stopped what he was doing and stared at me, shocked.

Don't drink! What not ever?

No, I said, I don't drink at all.

Yeah, but like, beer and that....

No. Not beer, not any alcohol.

What, so you don't like, go to pubs?

Well no, I don't go to pubs.

He was very quiet for the rest of the morning while he tried to comprehend that awful concept. I think it traumatised him.

Oh to be 22 again. :beer: