Bouncers?

I bought some bouncers at he game fair a couple of years ago and try to use them every time I go out. They have yet to prove their worth though. Their deployment seems to result in less pigeons, or less confident pigeon decoying than without. I tend to put them out away from the pattern on the flight path to the kill zone, but have tried oving them around a bit, but with similar results wherever they go. Pigeons can be contrary and sometimes rotaries, bouncers, flappers etc are the wrong call for the day, but I've never found bouncers to help the situation. Can anyone give me any pointers on where they should go, relative to your pattern, or are they actually pigeon repelling devices best left at home?

Got a couple a few years back from a guy at a dog flapping meet in Derbyshire with angled rods and flocked full bodied deeks with foam wings and tails which move up and down and side to side in the wind. Seemed to work for me when placed at each edge of the pattern almost guiding the birds into the centre. Always have plenty of other deeks with movement in the pattern.

Have also used the old style bouncers but always with dead birds with wing spreader and fanned tail.

Like everything though sometimes they seem to work and sometimes they don't.

Best advice keep it simple :)

• 2 weeks later...

It's got to be really windy I find .

It's the weather conditions that's the issue .

I have 4 floaters ( like the chris green ones)

And 3 bouncers ( for dead birds) If there's no wind there **** , in high winds they do what there ment to . Direct the birds in well .

The other week me and my son shot a barley drilled field and the wind was up . The birds just come in over the top of the floaters or bouncers perfect !!

• 2 weeks later...

To provide movement in a layout they are excellent.

I prefer to use them in higher crops, like laid cereals, rape, etc. where just ground decoys are harder for the birds to spot.

They don't seem to work as well (or be needed) on drillings and stubbles, in my experience.

Always use mine and it has to be said placement is key. I use them to the side of the flight path and about 40 yards away from the kill zone - used to get the birds attention and work well... HOWEVER, they are a pain in the bottom if they are in either too high a wind or to soft a wind and if the wire frame is bent they can fly sideways which looks as if the bird is spooking away. To high a wind and they bouncers around as if they are on acid and too soft a wind and they look as real as Elton Johns hair.

The wings are a little stiff for a pigeon which is why I am quite excited about the new decoy http://www.a1decoy.co.uk/new-professional-flapping-pigeon-decoy----pair-843-p.asp which looks real good and fit for bouncer or rotary.

Make sure they are pointing at the decoys and clear of the flight line......