stiff top lever on my 325

craig hill

The top lever on my Browning 325 is very stiff to start, almost stuck, give it a decent push and it frees off and is nice and free again, it's only when the gun has been closed for probably 15 seconds or more. The gun is very clean, I have tried giving the components an oilno different, tiny smear of grease, still no good, cleaned the faces up with 2000 grit sandpaper, still does it.

Any body got any tips? Or can anybody reccomended a good gun smith in south Yorkshire? Any idea ofthe problem or price?

Thanks guys

Looks like I have found the problem, pretty sure it lies with the tapered bolt that goes into the slot on the barrels, close the gun with the bolt open (in the action), nd then slowly release the lever, the bolt does not go in as far as is nice and smooth, close The action and let the lever snap back across, it seems to force the bolt in and is too tight.

Anybody know any good gun smiths in Yorkshire?

• 10 months later...

Just put a bit of grease on the bite.

That'll work for about 10 shots then the grease will be scraped aside and the problem comes right back. The bolt needs to be removed and refinished on the underside or possibly replaced, depending on how badly galled it is. The bights will likely need some tidying up too so that it doesn't recur. It's more common than you might think but it doesn't usually render the gun unusable so most just live with it.

That'll work for about 10 shots then the grease will be scraped aside and the problem comes right back. The bolt needs to be removed and refinished on the underside or possibly replaced, depending on how badly galled it is. The bights will likely need some tidying up too so that it doesn't recur. It's more common than you might think but it doesn't usually render the gun unusable so most just live with it.

To be fair I am kind of inclined to just live with it and grease it, for the time being. Then when I need something else done get it all sorted at the same time. Out of interest anyone have a rough idea what it would cost to fix?

This is not an uncommon problem and requires what is call freeing . Basically when a gun is new it is a little stiff ,some of that stiffness is purposefully left to allow the gun to settle or bed in after shooting . Occasionally there are some surfaces that do not bed in so need a little help . There are however several things to check that may not be apparent to the "man in the Street" but to an experienced eye can be quickly detected .So it may not be just a matter of easing the bites in fact that could end up making things worse in the long run. Cost could run any thing from £35 to £65 dependent on if the gun need to be stripped.

Where are you ? May be able to suggest some one to help

Edited by Gunman