vixen and munty doe

camokid

hi all

i had a few good trips out over the break it had to be done in that glorious sunshine.. i met up with a friend from pw and headed out after a fox .

after spending a few hours in the sun watching the surrounding deer and wild life going about there business the sun eventually went down and the foxes came out.. it was a slow night but near the end ben managed to call one out of cover and i welcomed her with a nice 243

DSC05082.jpg
also had a few hours out stalking but after seeing nothing at all for most of the evening i was starting to feel it was going to be a blank then my luck changed as a little muntjak doe appeared right in front of me she was making her way from right to left across the field quite fast i raised the sticks found her in the scope but would she stop i was shouting and making noise but she was fixed on making the hedge and that's what she did i had missed my shot.. but after 5 minuets or so just on last knocking she made her way back across the field stopping for a moment and that's when i took my shot...
sorry the pic is a bit poor as i forgot my camera and resorted to using the phone
20130505_211706.jpg
hope the rest of you had a nice break
many thanks

That was a great ending to the day Andy, you must be quite chuffed with the end result. Now go and get the barbie going and a nice bottle of Merlot at the ready! :good:

she went down well Pete a nice young doe i jointed and boned a haunch and rosted it she was then consumed with a lot of horse reddish

Top class as usual andy i have decided that rifle looks soooooool out of place there and would look way way better in my gun cabinet lol well done buddy

you look like your getting on fine with what you got but if you want it pm me il pop it in the post for ya .....LOL

May I ask a question?

Do you shoot only the heavily pregnant does or any does you come across.

Andrew

hiya Andrew as you may no muntys breed like mad and can be pregnant again within hours after giving birth they bread all year round so the chances are when you hit a doe she will probably be pregnant .. at first glance with a early pregnancy you cant tell so if im out on a stalk and one pops out il take the shot she will be pregnant its just a case of how far gone its not always a nice thing but its the choice you make i have in the past let them walk on when i could tel they where carrying...

hiya Andrew as you may no muntys breed like mad and can be pregnant again within hours after giving birth they bread all year round so the chances are when you hit a doe she will probably be pregnant .. at first glance with a early pregnancy you cant tell so if im out on a stalk and one pops out il take the shot she will be pregnant its just a case of how far gone its not always a nice thing but its the choice you make i have in the past let them walk on when i could tel they where carrying...

thats actually the wrong answer and the logic goes that the further pregnant they are and visible the less likely they are to have a dependant fawn, so basically far better to deal with a pregnant one where you know you aren't going to leave the offspring to starve.

fox wise yes that one has dependant cubs as you can see she has been suckling them, sadly that is life the dog may keep feeding them if they are old enough otherwise nature will take its toll. What you can say is its 1 less to muller all your ground nesting birds and it could mean the demise of the litter which helps out even more. With regard to shooting the vixen in cub crack on as that is the perfect time to get them job done one shot.

thats actually the wrong answer and the logic goes that the further pregnant they are and visible the less likely they are to have a dependant fawn, so basically far better to deal with a pregnant one where you know you aren't going to leave the offspring to starve.

fox wise yes that one has dependant cubs as you can see she has been suckling them, sadly that is life the dog may keep feeding them if they are old enough otherwise nature will take its toll. What you can say is its 1 less to muller all your ground nesting birds and it could mean the demise of the litter which helps out even more. With regard to shooting the vixen in cub crack on as that is the perfect time to get them job done one shot.

its not a WRONG answer i agree in what your saying and its totally true like i said in my post i would take the shot knowing that there is a high chance of her being pregnant its best not to leave dependable young but your not always to no

while on the subject what do you guys think about shooting fox cubs.or a vixen in cub.just wondering as i see both sides if i be honest.

as for the cubs adults bushy ones black ones mangy ones they all get dropped on site

while on the subject what do you guys think about shooting fox cubs.or a vixen in cub.just wondering as i see both sides if i be honest.

nothing wrong with either chap, personally if i take a vixen before the cubs i do my best to make sure all the cubs are accounted for soon after. Either by shooting or digging.

its not a WRONG answer i agree in what your saying and its totally true like i said in my post i would take the shot knowing that there is a high chance of her being pregnant its best not to leave dependable young but your not always to no

You do want her to be pregnant and as pregnant as possible if you follow good practice, if she is very pregnant the fawn will stand the highest chance of survival

nothing wrong with either chap, personally if i take a vixen before the cubs i do my best to make sure all the cubs are accounted for soon after. Either by shooting or digging.

thats if you find the den :good: then its take them all

thats if you find the den :good: then its take them all

To true mate, i have just taken 3 from a earth near our small holding. Just in time too as the lambs will be going on there in the next week or 2. I will be back up there tonight to try for the remaining 2 cubs and the vixen, unless she has moved on?

I watched the cubs playing for about 40 mins yesterday before taking them with the shotgun and no sign of the vixen, the cubs were big and i would age them at 12-14 weeks if not a little more!

you look like your getting on fine with what you got but if you want it pm me il pop it in the post for ya .....LOL

you are a true star andy but no need to go to all the trouble of posting it i could quite easly and quickly come and get it lmao!