Speeding tickets

LondonLuke

Can anyone clarify how you can get speeding tickets

In the instance that you are driving and are speeding and a policeman at the side of the road points his laser gun viewfinder thing at you does that mean you have a ticket coming your way?

Or do you have to be pulled over? Flashed etc?

if is a handheld laser, they normally have coppers up the road that pull you in

this however doesnt mean you havent got a ticket. unfortunately they have upto 6 months to send you a summons. you will normally recieve it within 4 weeks though

unfortunately, its just a waiting game now

A couple of corrections here :

If you are not pulled over at the time, they have 2 weeks to send you a NIP : notice of intention to prosecute.

The only ways they can go past that 2 week period is if you have not registered the vehicle, and they are chasing it/you up through the old owner, or if someone makes a mistake entering the numberplate in the system, and they have to re-send the notice to the correct person.

That 6 months thing that someone said is absolutely wrong.

For further info, go here :

http://www.motorlawyers.co.uk/procedure/notice_of_intended_prosecution.htm

Thanks guys, it was like a handheld telescope gun thing he can. Maybe like a video camera in size/shape by the sounds of if

Just have to see what happens I guess

As above has said you have a 2 week wait unless you were driving say a company car

Last time i saw one of those hand held lasers the copper was on a bridge over the motorway and i was hiking it i never heard anything

Edited by castletyne

All the devices used by the police must be 'type approved' for a valid prosecution. Normally you are stopped up the road but, as said, a NOTICE OF INTENDED PROSECUTION NIP may fall through the post within 2 weeks. Check the device is type approved and then accept it - assuming you were speeding .

Thanks guys, it was like a handheld telescope gun thing he can. Maybe like a video camera in size/shape by the sounds of if

Just have to see what happens I guess

i think you have got more chance of winning a speeding case when its a hand held device or a van pointing the gun at you, there are more parameters you can challenge as opposed to a gatso flasher with the lines on the road. Too many people cave in over a speeding charge, to receive something in the post saying that you are guilty of something, is to me always worth a challenge, i think it is a form of bullying, if it transpires that you are in the wrong then fair enough. I dont like this cheap justice, i read somewhere that if everyone challenged a speeding charge instead of capitulating then the system would struggle to cope. I know an old girl who recently got herself in a worried state as she got the summons for just a tiny bit over the limit,as i said earlier, too many parameters to trust the speeding charge.

Can anyone clarify how you can get speeding tickets

In the instance that you are driving and are speeding and a policeman at the side of the road points his laser gun viewfinder thing at you does that mean you have a ticket coming your way?

Or do you have to be pulled over? Flashed etc?

If it's a hand-held radar gun which doesn't take a picture then you have to be stopped there and then, as far as I recall. The radar gun is not the primary pice of evidence against you, it is simply a verification of the officer's suspicion that you were exceeding the speed limit. If it ended up at court then he would have to priduce a pocket book note that he had a reasonable suspicion that you were exceeding the limit so he used the gun to verify that suspicion.

J.

Edited by JonathanL

if is a handheld laser, they normally have coppers up the road that pull you in

this however doesnt mean you havent got a ticket. unfortunately they have upto 6 months to send you a summons. you will normally recieve it within 4 weeks though

unfortunately, its just a waiting game now

If you are caught on camera then they have 14 days in which to serve you a notice of intended prosecution. If it exceeds that then you have not been served and cannot be prosecuted.

J.

If you are caught on camera then they have 14 days in which to serve you a notice of intended prosecution. If it exceeds that then you have not been served and cannot be prosecuted.

J.

Just to note that 'to serve you a notice ...' does NOT mean that you have to have received that notice. As long as they have a 'reasonable expectation' that it would have arrived within 14 days, then it is viewed in law as having been served on you.

Also, as has already been said, if it was a hire car, company car, lease car not registered in your name, then the 14 day period can be greatly extended, as they have to get the drivers name from the other party

I was caught speeding back in 2008 by a policeman on the side of the road with a hand held gun that still took a picture, they do exist as I was offered the chance to see the picture if I went to court but I was speeding so I just accepted my points and fine, they came off after 4 years but I still have a few months left until 5 years has past so I don't need to declare them to the insurance.

Im a bit of an expert on this subject.

Various ways to get a speeding ticket. Fixed cameras on the side of the road - normally gatso or truvelo or the specs average cameras will take a photo, record your speed and the police will process these and send out a "notice of intend to prosecute" to the registered owner of the car. The owner of the car then has to either name who was driving - for the police to send them the speeding penalty, or if the owner doesnt know, the police will charge them with "not keeping accurate records of who is driving their vehicle" - which co-incidentally has the same penalty as speeding - 3 points & £60 fine currently.

Hand held devices are radar or laser. Both are portable and usually are seen by cops hiding behind bushes or on bridges - usually around a corner for maximum effect so speeding drivers have less time to react. They also favour temp 50mph limits and things like that. Same as above applies, usually you get a nip in the post within 14 days, then after you have told them who was the guilty party you get the speeding ticket.

Once you have the ticket you have the option to go to court or just accept it. If you are 6 points or more very often it will automatically go to court if they think there is a risk of you hitting 12 points and a possible ban.

Other way to get a ticket is through vascar, so if Mr Plod sees you driving like a nutter, and he decides to chase you, he uses basically a stop watch inside the car and times you over a known distance to workout your speed. They usually use markings on the road or their calibrated speedo in the car. If this happens, normally Mr Plod, once he has proof you are speeding will pull you over and start giving you a lecture. Very occasionally if you grovel, or if he gets called up mid pull over to attend something more serious then you can get let off, but this is very rare as most experiences ive had the police seem to want to hit their targets!

If you choose to go to court then its quite a taunting experience. You wont get a duty solicitor unless you plead guilty, so you have to represent yourself. Then its just your word against some police man who has 150 years experience and the prosecuting lawyer will run rings around you as if you are a murder. The magistrates who decide on the verdict and penalty are just magistrates - so have no legal qualifications at all and will just use their personal judgement. They may have guidelines, but they never keep to them. In the past I had 5 points given to me for 69 in a 60, when ive seen people with no insurance who nearly killed someone get 5 or 6 points.

Speaking of insurance, ive found that 3 points on my license jacked the insurance up by 30%, so so much for some people saying insurance companies dismiss the first few penalties!.

All in all, best option is just stick within the speed limits!